964 RS ECU value help

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 06:40 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts
Default 964 RS ECU value help

Hi.

I have a spare 964 RS ECU. I had ECU doctors have it checked out and it is in perfect working condition.

I need help to value this NLA part since I am going to sell it. I know the cost for them 2 years back when they were still available from Porsche was a bit over 5000 euros.

Please advise

Regards
Peder
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2016, 05:59 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Anyone have an Idea what is a fair price for this?

Regards
Peder
Old 01-02-2016, 12:47 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 90 Posts

I have bought and sold a few of these ECUs in the past more 993 TT but also 993 RS, this
May have a rev limiter removed and higher timing degrees but likely not that different from
a non RS.
I have seen some of these rarer ECU's in the $2500 - even $3000 range , not certain how many sold.
I did however purchase a 993 RS unit for $500 on EBay and the ECU docs re calibrated a
TTS unit for $500 also so many can be remapped .
If I had to make a price suggestion I would say more in the $1250 area possibly more
in Europe where someone could have the car necessary for this to work correctly, just
a WAG thanks Bert
Old 01-02-2016, 04:34 PM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far as I am aware, the only difference between the RS ECU and the stock C2 is the chip (which liberates 10 additional bhp). Given you can buy a Steve Wong chip, which should give you more than 10 bhp, I really don't see there is a huge amount of value in an RS ECU other than to someone who owns an RS without the correct ECU. I guess that's a pretty small market ........
Old 01-02-2016, 05:33 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

eBay it and see. Just set a high reserve or allow make offer.... Pretty narrow market really
Old 01-03-2016, 12:43 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I know there is little that is different on these ECU:S but as mentioned above for someone with an RS without the correct ECU it should be worth some especially since they cost 5000 euros last the factory had available ones, now they are NLA. These are 200-250000 euro cars now and most buyers would not want a C2 ECU with some aftermarket chip in a collectors car. But as you say very small market.

Maybe best to bring it to an event like auto classica in Essen and try to sell at their parts market.

Thanks
Peder
Old 01-03-2016, 01:17 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

The other thing to consider is if it has been opened or the original seal is still in place. Once it's been cracked it gets a bit fuzzy as to the originality and $$$....
Old 01-03-2016, 02:04 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
The other thing to consider is if it has been opened or the original seal is still in place. Once it's been cracked it gets a bit fuzzy as to the originality and $$$....
I had a untouched one in my car and it did not have a seal from factory. I think only the Cup cars had seals when it comes to 964:s.

This one has been opened and checked by ECU doctors however.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:57 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PF
Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I know there is little that is different on these ECU:S but as mentioned above for someone with an RS without the correct ECU it should be worth some especially since they cost 5000 euros last the factory had available ones, now they are NLA. These are 200-250000 euro cars now and most buyers would not want a C2 ECU with some aftermarket chip in a collectors car. But as you say very small market.

Maybe best to bring it to an event like auto classica in Essen and try to sell at their parts market.

Thanks
Peder
FYI the control unit for a C2 is £4073 in the UK (5499 euro at current rate). So it's not that it's expensive because it's for an RS..it's expensive because it's a new part for a 964. The same goes for many other parts that are still available new for a 964.

And, an original RS part is not necessarily always more expensive....I recently bought a new gear stick for an RS (the **** and gaiter) direct from Porsche (to fit to my new RS short shift). Although expensive (£125), it was actually cheaper than the standard gear stick for my C2 (£150).

I guess this all adds up to, see what someone will pay for it.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:47 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxsey911
FYI the control unit for a C2 is £4073 in the UK (5499 euro at current rate). So it's not that it's expensive because it's for an RS..it's expensive because it's a new part for a 964. The same goes for many other parts that are still available new for a 964.

And, an original RS part is not necessarily always more expensive....I recently bought a new gear stick for an RS (the **** and gaiter) direct from Porsche (to fit to my new RS short shift). Although expensive (£125), it was actually cheaper than the standard gear stick for my C2 (£150).

I guess this all adds up to, see what someone will pay for it.

Yes some parts for these cars are getting really expensive and some are surprisingly cheap. I didnt assume that just because it's for an RS it is more expensive but it is certanly more exclusive due to a lot fewer numbers and being an RS part. My question about value was if someone had any experience or clue to what would be a resonable price. Also you can no longer get an RS ECU from Porsche. So if anyone with an RS is lacking the correct ECU it has to be worth a bit to that owner. A rechipped C2 ECU in a RS is not the best when it comes to collectors but I dont think the other way around would put someone down when looking for a C2.

Thanks
Peder

Quick Reply: 964 RS ECU value help