Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Euro-spec RS Desirability for US Market...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 09:19 AM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thoughts on Euro-spec RS Desirability for US Market...?

The Euro RS, so I understand, will become eligible for import the US when it hits 25 years old (without having to go through the whole Federalization process). Thus MY'92 cars built late in 1991 are going to become eligible in a matter of months........
Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether there will be demand for these cars in the US ?
Given the prices they have been achieving in Europe over the past few years they are a viable import proposition, whereas ten years ago it probably would not have been worth the expense.

Jamie
Old 06-13-2016, 10:09 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie Summers
Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether there will be demand for these cars in the US ?
These cars are gems, so I assume they would be just as valuable sitting in an American garage as a German garage.

Given that these are $300K cars now, I think the people who can afford them can bring them over when they want (and drive them around without real license plates!)

Last edited by 911Jetta; 06-13-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:36 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...=1465794400941
Old 06-13-2016, 11:23 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

There are some here now. The problem with these is getting them registered in California and possible other states. May pass US federal standards but to register for the road here you need to show certification with then current SMOG standards.

So... You'll see a bunch of these continue to show Montana, Wyoming, and maybe Florida plates.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:45 AM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Without any knowledge of how the road-registration process works, is it likely to be a big hassle to get them legal ? Presumably if a regular ''91 C2 can pass the SMOG test, then I can't see why you would have a problem with an RS ? Did the US cars have more emissions control equipment than the Euro-spec ? '91 Euro cars came with catalytic converters - and while many will have been swapped out for de-cats and Cup Pipes, it is easy to put them back.
I'm just trying to get a feel for whether there is a pent-up demand for these cars in the US just waiting for the 25 year anniversary ? In Europe there seems to be a glut of RS for sale, and I wonder whether some of this is in anticipation of a new and potentially large market opening up in the next couple of months.
Cards on the table - I am trying to sell my car, and the European market seems to be very slow right now, but I could see it picking up with a new source of demand.

thanks,

Jamie
Old 06-13-2016, 11:54 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

You can have all the factory equipment and CA will not allow the vehicle to pass. Why? Missing a sticker that states the car meets 50 state emissions requirements. The way the law is written is that the vehicle must be certified in order to be registered. I've not heard of (it may exist) a way to get the "smog referee" to one-time approve the emissions. If this can be done, it allows you to normally register the car. Your car gets what is called an EO (executive order number) that is used with the VIN on concert with registration.

Anyway, this is the downside of great weather, driving roads, a big (for US) taxes!

Getting it federally imported is less of a hassle but most who do it use a firm that helps with the paperwork and process. Often getting it registered in a more friendly state makes it easier to move to others as you now have a title us registration, etc, but that CA thing.... It sucks.

The RS I mentioned above I think is registered in Canada.
We'll see if there is demand. We're seeing a lot of GTR here now. Also many cars seem to make their way in via Canada... Their rules are a bit different.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:03 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Canada's laws are much more relaxed. 15 years vs 25 years, and no need for any sort of emissions. I brought my M5 in and spent maybe 1 hour taking care of all the paperwork required.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:56 PM
Jamie Summers
Racer

And once a car is Canadian registered it's a shoo-in to get it US registered ?
Old 06-13-2016, 01:13 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Unfortunately I don't think it's that easy or everyone would be doing it. The VIN would be a dead giveaway once you try to register it in the US

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Euro-spec RS Desirability for US Market...?