Sponsored by:

Car died on me on freeway!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 06:56 PM
DTMLGND
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Car died on me on freeway!!

So, I have the chance to get a few miles on her last weekend since she's not my DD any longer. Great opportunity arose when I took my grandson to his 1st NBA game (he's 9 and a big Dub fan, as in GS Warriors).
Got to BART(mass transpo) fine which is about 60 or so miles from home, return for trip back home after the game and get to going about 70 mph on freeway. I'm constantly checking my gauges and notice 20 mins into drive, the oil temp gauge at 0. That's strange, the other gauges were at normal positions. Kept looking at gauge then all of a sudden, the car loses power, no throttle response, lights and all still functioning. I'm thinking the worst, I've seized the motor etc...Pulled to the side of the freeway thinking what in the world, it was running fine. I know it seeps a bit of oil and I can smell it burning when I run the heater, but not strange sounds or anything to tell me it was going to fail aside from the oil temp gauge not registering. I tried once to re-start and nothing at all. 1 hour+ later waiting for tow truck to get me the last 40 miles back home and I just can't help to think what the wife is going to say if this motor is toast!
Tried not to think about it too much upon getting home as I was happy we made to the game at least prior to the mishap. It would have really been a bummer if it occurred on the way to the game. It was late in the evening already and figured I'd get some rest before checking into the problem Monday after work.
First call to my mechanic Monday and he says to check the obvious, loose electrical connections and fuses. I did so and everything looked OK as far as I could tell. I left it on the trickler as I normally do since it did also drain the battery with the hazards on waiting for the tow truck the other night.
I insert the key and all lights are strong, cranks over fine but does not catch and idle.
At this point, I decide to grab the spare DME which I bought sometime last year from Ftech9(pump prime version). Pop it in and and with a slight turn of the key and touch of the throttle, she's idling perfectly!! Thanks be to GOD.
After some blips of the throttle and 5 minute warm-up I still see the temp gauge not budging.
That's about where I got with it the other day as I've been too busy to look into it more. Plan to get a test drive around to make sure ample time to get the engine oil up to normal op temp in the next day or 2.

Any thoughts on the temp gauge or something to add would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-29-2017, 08:06 PM
Forrest Gump 9
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow......

Sorry for the noob question, where is the DME? I need to get couple spare ones.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:13 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 272 Likes on 159 Posts

In the fuse box on the right side of the frunk
Old 03-29-2017, 09:44 PM
no_car
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

happened to me a few weeks ago, i bought an ftech 9 solid state relay and a spare oem one just incase the ftech9 goes faulty lol
Old 03-30-2017, 11:54 AM
jlmartin94
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe chek the connection on the oil pressure sender? --> 2 wire from this little device .
one for the pressure ..
one for the temp ..
the electrical terminal is held only by a tiny nut .... easy to unscrew itself ....
Old 03-30-2017, 08:29 PM
islandsnow
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks to No_Car, i have my spare DME also just in case
Old 03-31-2017, 12:34 AM
DTMLGND
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jlmartin94
Maybe chek the connection on the oil pressure sender? --> 2 wire from this little device .
one for the pressure ..
one for the temp ..
the electrical terminal is held only by a tiny nut .... easy to unscrew itself ....
Thanks jlmartin94!
Actually, I fired her up, ran some errands and temp gauge came up to normal so I'm good!! Now, have to score spare Ftech9 relay for the glove
Pic is after shutting off motor btw...
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2017, 08:25 AM
jlmartin94
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For sure it was some bad electrical contact.
I doubt it's "temp gauge" related ... old soldering maybe but .. I doubt .

so you jsut have to check the wire and electrical terminals on the motor side ...
Old 03-31-2017, 10:08 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

pull the gauge out of the dash and clean the terminals where the harness plugs in the back. This happens on the speedometer sometimes.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:49 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Having a spare DME relay has saved me from being stuck on the side of the road too. Porsche should have included a spare one along with the spare tire and warning triangle when the car as built!

Quick Reply: Car died on me on freeway!!