Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 04:28 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Spring plates bushes replacement options

Hi guys,
My rear spring plates bushes needs replacement,
As suggested by a few people here Elephant Racing in US is providing a kit at 560 $, cheaper than buy new ones but still .....
Any ideas
Thanks

By the way for those who are looking for trailing arm bushes Powerflex now makes the kit for 160 $ each side, I though it's very reasonable.

Last edited by kos11-12; 05-30-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 344 Posts

I replaced mine because the rubber looked worn. I later discovered it was only the outer layer that was in bad shape. Are you sure the working part of the bushes are worn?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:10 PM
no_car
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

go with the ERP parts spingplates that replaces the whole assembly , tarett engineering also sells a set.. 750 retail but worth it IMO, it makes toe and camber adjustment so much easier

Old 05-30-2017, 11:26 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Just a point of clarification regarding Powerflex "now makes a kit" for the rear trailing arms.

Powerflex has made this kit for a long time and was actually the first to offer a bushing replacement that allowed servicing of the rear trailing arm (rather than replace the whole unit). There's an old thread on here from 9M (Ninemeister) about how 9M worked with Powerflex to develop a solution for the worn trailing arm bushes.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:39 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

Ugh. I bought that Powerflex bushing kit for the rear trailing arm and proceeded to hammer out the ring inside the bushing seat on the arm. That is required for the Elephant kit, but you have to leave it in for the Powerflex bushing. Returned the PF, ordered Elephant. I'm happy I have real rubber instead of urethane, but spending $750 on two bushings is really tough to swallow.

I also used Elephants spring plate bushing replacement kit, but I'm now wishing I had ordered the ERP full replacement ones.

Oh well. At least everything is fresh and ready to go. Best of luck with whatever you decide, but you cant go wrong with Elephant products or ERP. Quality parts and excellent customer service from Elephant (no experience with ERP.)
Old 05-31-2017, 04:39 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Vandit
Just a point of clarification regarding Powerflex "now makes a kit" for the rear trailing arms.

Powerflex has made this kit for a long time and was actually the first to offer a bushing replacement that allowed servicing of the rear trailing arm (rather than replace the whole unit). There's an old thread on here from 9M (Ninemeister) about how 9M worked with Powerflex to develop a solution for the worn trailing arm bushes.
yes you are probably right , did not follow up for a long time
Old 05-31-2017, 12:11 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Hi guys ,
thanks for all your comments , It seam that it makes sens to invest the all spring plates from ERP ,
had the outer steering arms from them and the quality is very good ,
cheers
Konstantin
Old 06-01-2017, 03:05 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

i have just fitted 935 style springplates and FVD monoball bushings in the trailing arm (and monoball bushings in the front wishbones and monoball topmounts :-)) and this was/is great.

They have a discount at the moment for the bushings: https://www.fvd.net/de-de/FVD3315001...qualitaet.html

https://www.fvd.net/de-de/FVD3315002...qualitaet.html
Old 10-23-2017, 06:44 PM
9sixty4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring Plate Bushing SEALS

I just pulled my rear spring plates from the car because I noticed grease leaking from the bushing area and suspected they were spent. Upon inspection the joints/bushes/monoballs are fine. I do need the seals for both sides. Has anyone ever sourced these?
Old 10-23-2017, 11:45 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 396 Likes on 262 Posts

Those seals don’t exist. I thought about havjng them made once and did a couple trials. But wasn’t successful. After a bit I gave up and bought the elephant replacement bushings. From what I found , they were the best and least expensive option in going with an effectively oem replacement (performance wise)...

If I do it again, I’m going with the tarret plates. They won’t last as long but better performance.

For street, best bang for the buck are the elephant bushings. But if you find seals, let us know. I have some plates i would restore. Those oem monoball rarely fail. Most replace them due to bad seals - prematurely.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:17 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Goughary
Those seals don’t exist. I thought about havjng them made once and did a couple trials. But wasn’t successful. After a bit I gave up and bought the elephant replacement bushings. From what I found , they were the best and least expensive option in going with an effectively oem replacement (performance wise)...

If I do it again, I’m going with the tarret plates. They won’t last as long but better performance.

For street, best bang for the buck are the elephant bushings. But if you find seals, let us know. I have some plates i would restore. Those oem monoball rarely fail. Most replace them due to bad seals - prematurely.
Done with elephant, all good so far, its a street car, finally not tracking it, unless it was a full strip and rebuild.....
my race time is with classic motorcycles,
Old 10-27-2017, 09:42 PM
azmurciev12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the elephant racing spring plate bushing replacement and could not complain. it works VERY well. i also changed all the front and rear bushing with the FVD monoballs (looks very similar to the Elephant products though -might have come from them anyway) and the handling of the car is transformed. i have the bilstein pss10 suspension and some sway bars and strut bar. but all those mods just made the car handle and feel like a modern car with a lot of feedback.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:55 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by azmurciev12
all those mods just made the car handle and feel like a modern car with a lot of feedback.
How is NVH on the street? Too noisy or harsh? When changing oil for the first time on my new ‘90 C2, I found the stock right rear trailing arm bushing leaking and torn so I’ll need to replace mine soon.

Quick Reply: Spring plates bushes replacement options