Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

What would you guys do? Minor Speedline damage...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 03:05 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default What would you guys do? Minor Speedline damage...

Hey guys -
So I used up another set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the back. Picked up some rears and took them to the tire store over the weekend - local tire shop who has overall done a good job for me over the years. I brought in the wheels (factory Speedlines) - not the car - first thing I said to them was I need their best guy on the job - don't want the wheels getting messed up.

Well...guess what.

I come back an hour later and the wheel centers are all marked up. Luckily most of it was grime - I was able to clean it off - but there were a few scrapes from one of the machines.
The manager was not in that day. Now to be fair - my wheels are not showroom perfect - but they are in good overall condition and the centers are not all scratched up - and they came back to me in worse condition than I left them. One of the employees mentioned taking them to a local wheel refinisher - but I don't want them doing some cheeseball repaint on the centers over my factory finish. On the other hand, asking them to have Jim D refinish them is a pretty large bill for wheels that were not perfect prior.

Thoughts?

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
Old 04-30-2019, 01:17 PM
TMWTP
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Those are expensive wheels, even in that condition. Personally, I'd see if they would cover some of the repairs, but if just get them completely redone.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:29 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

They will compensate me - I'll probably have them either write me a check or give me store credit - as it's not worth a full on restoration of the two wheels - and I also don't want a questionable repaint...

Brandon
Old 05-01-2019, 01:37 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 663 Posts

hmmm,... as valuable as your entire car is,... especially with those original speedlines,.... if it were me I'd take the check and apply it towards the purchase on a full set of Alurad RH36 rims to run with for the remainder of your time with the car, and keep the speedlines on the shelf (they'll increase the value of the car even if not ON the car, for the day if & when you ever decide to sell).

That way you don't have to do through the whole process of deciding whether to send all 4 out for full-refurb, or taking the chance on a bad local re-spray. Plus, its just some scratches right?.. Including them WITH the car on a sale (in original untouched condition) is probably worth just as much as in perfect condition (in relationship to the sale price of the entire car). conversely, of course selling them on their own would be different pricing if they were perfect, verses dinged up like they are now. But you'll never let them go outside of the car anyway.

Plus the RH36's are lighter, & you'll enjoy the quicker response with lower unsprung weight.

.... having said all that Brandon,.. here I am spending YOUR money.

=Steve
Old 05-01-2019, 05:24 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Hey Steve-
Yeah I thought about getting some reps in the past...but I've decided it's cool (to me) to have the real wheel deal - and I want to enjoy them - i.e. run them on the car - not save them for somebody else to enjoy on the car. Value be damned. Same with the car - on my 2999 mile road trip to Rennsport last fall (which was so unf#(%ingbelievably fun) I decided that if and when I do ever sell - hopefully my car will be the highest mileage example of a 964T. Value be damned. :-)

Big drive this Saturday - guessing it'll be 400-500 miles - mountain curvy roads..scenic byways.

Next month a 3 day trip wandering around in CO and UT so my buddy (in a '79 930) and I can hit In n Out in Provo UT.

As soon as I get my rebuilt stock WUR from CISFlowtech I'll be ditching the adjustable WUR I've had in there for a few years. Wish I would have realized the consequences of making a 964T WUR adjustable (permanently losing altitude compensation) - should have used a 930 WUR. Oh well. Should be better for the drives with altitude changes.

But I'm digressing....wheel scratches...
I have a BMW E30 325i convertible for running around town that needs tires - so I'm thinking that's my play.

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
Old 05-02-2019, 09:18 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

I would approach the manager, explain the situation. Print out what a new set costs from Porsche and have Jim give you a quote to repair. Explain that due to their value these can't just be painted since they need to be disassembled to be refinished properly and polishing the lip would remove the etch which would render them even less valuable than they currently are. Leave it in their court and see how they respond. Also if you have before and after pics that would help. But honestly a fair set of 4 speedlines with etching are worth at least $6500 and without the etching around $5k. There is no reason a wheel center should have gotten scratched other than pure sloppiness and ineptness. The outer lip maybe based on equipment but not the centers.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:15 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Good advice, as always, Anthony. Appreciated.

Brandon
Old 05-02-2019, 12:20 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys the problem with fixing one wheel is the TSC clear coat I use allows a brighter shine and does not chip, crack, or peel off. I do put the correct etchings "SPEEDLINE for PORSCHE", but most guys say my restored sets look better than brand new. Everything I do during restoration is to provide more durable finishes (bolts and nuts) TSC clear coat over comes the short comings of clear powder coating and allowing moisture to get under and eat the metal.

Please post a picture. Jim jdorociak@gmail.com
Old 05-02-2019, 09:24 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by jim dorociak
Guys the problem with fixing one wheel is the TSC clear coat I use allows a brighter shine and does not chip, crack, or peel off. I do put the correct etchings "SPEEDLINE for PORSCHE", but most guys say my restored sets look better than brand new. Everything I do during restoration is to provide more durable finishes (bolts and nuts) TSC clear coat over comes the short comings of clear powder coating and allowing moisture to get under and eat the metal.

Please post a picture. Jim jdorociak@gmail.com
Funny It seems like yesterday when you first started down the speedline path but it has been a while. The speedlines are a great wheel but like many originals they are far from perfect. I have to admit I can always spot your work, speedlines were never that nice NIB. I admire how far you have taken it. If I had a need you would be the only one I call.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:13 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

IF I had a set, I'd send them to JimD,... and yes they would just end up sitting on my shelf (more likely my Work at Home coffee table so I could admire them every day like art work),...

but like Brandon said, it would be an expense I would end up incurring for the next guy. Oomph.

Oh well,... no matter your choice,... the most important thing is that we get these beasts out there & enjoy them. I like the fact that my RH36's are kinda expendable.

=Steve
Old 05-05-2019, 08:42 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Things happen especially on a driven car/s... If they have been good to you for the most part and do acknowledge their oversight, I'd let it go knowing they'd be careful next time. Had they been perfect or had it been a show car, then I'd have pursued it bit different.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:11 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

I've always been of the persuasion that wheels go a long way to enhancing the appearance of the car. IMO, there's nothing that degrades the apperaance of a 965 then corroded Speedlines.
I had Jim re-finish my RH's in 2008.
He went above and beyond to make my wheels looks like the real thing.
Eleven years later and my wheels still pretty much look like they did when I re-assembled them when he shipped them back to me.
Now if I owned Speedlines, I wouldn't hesitate to spend the money to refurbish them. They will look good down the line. Given the value and rarity of Speedlines, it's really an investment.
Brandon, sounds like your wheels are still decent but you have a tough decision to make.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:52 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Yes overall they look great - only when you get up close do you see the small imperfections. And my car isn't being judged (not at shows anyway lol) so yes it's a decision for sure. I like wheel sot look good, too - as wheels make or break a car. And these do look very good (again IMO not as a 100pt judge) and the dilemma is why spend lots money to fix a few small scratches when I'm going to turn around and just keep driving them... I need to think about it. If I do have them fixed it won't be until winter when the cars sits a lot more.

The owner of the tire store and I had a good discussion a couple days ago. Very accommodating - I'm confident he will make it right.

On another note - got in a good 400 mile drive Saturday to and from lunch in Salida, CO. Took a back route - lots of fun.

Brandon
Old 05-08-2019, 07:07 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

smart. Thanks for the update.

Glad to hear your getting some good drives in.

Quick Reply: What would you guys do? Minor Speedline damage...