951 versus 965: how do they compare?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 10:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by 911addict
Colin, c'mon!

A 1 bar with turbo won't give an extra 85hp, will it?

$2K no way:
new turbo eg. HFS $2K no good without headers
headers plus fitting kit $3.K+ (B&B/GHL)
new wastgate?
that's well over $5K...
PLUS for most of us there is the labour...not cheap.

and then you'll need suspension upgrade $3K, clutch? etc. etc.

(I daren't mention here how much I've spend to get mine near 400.)
You can achieve 400 with a 1 bar and turbo but it would be all peak HP.(depends on turbo used) It is a simple upgrade and if your mechanically inclined with a lift it can easily be a DIY. Although it might be OK for track use it would suck on the street.

If you are looking for really enjoyable power with a more linear usable power band then the headers and HF at a min are needed. factory WG is more than adequate to flow the air needed and the headers are getting to be more expensive. Most all of these mods are simple bolt ons that can be done at home , although the car would need to be tunned to obtain optimum AFR's which would extract maximum power.

Suspension is not in question here and if your clutch is in good shape it can easily handle the extra power.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:00 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, still don't agree. I put a HFS on mine with 1 bar, no cat, and it was dyno'd at 355, and the torque was a little down. Had to put on headers to get the benefit.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One big thing on the 951 vs. 965 is $$$$ You can rebuild a 951 complete with a 2.8L, ported rebuilt head, new clutch, full exhaust, headers, turbo, and all the other little things for about $18000. Good luck finding a junked 965 that would need a ton of work for that price.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:01 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Not a problem, just asking!

I've been on Rennlist and owned a 951 long enough to know its potential. Don't know much about 965s and was curious how much of a climb it is to get them to outperform a modified 951. Fair enough?
They are totally different cars , in stock form no comparison , modded no comparison , cost vs performance no comparison , the 951 is better $$ per value , but the 965 is a much nicer faster ride , better build , better driving experience , more desirable

Originally Posted by 38D
Around $2k: 1 bar spring, new turbo and delete the cats.
400 BHP , 345 whp , maybe .......CIS mod would be recommended here also ..positively not for 2 K.... 2 k won't get you far on both cars anyway.

Originally Posted by Richgreenster
One big thing on the 951 vs. 965 is $$$$ You can rebuild a 951 complete with a 2.8L, ported rebuilt head, new clutch, full exhaust, headers, turbo, and all the other little things for about $18000. Good luck finding a junked 965 that would need a ton of work for that price.
Yes the 951 is cheaper and you can tell by comparison . both are great cars when modded , but the TQ , ferocious sound and speed of the 965 wins out all the time. Modded there is no comparison the 951 will not be close ...
Old 05-03-2008, 06:40 PM
graeme36s
Racer

Back in must have been 1995 I bought a 1988 944 Turbo silver rose edition, 250bhp standard. Fantastic value for money. Had it tweaked to run at 1 bar with a chip and was a tad quicker than a mates bog standard 930 turbo. Nothing like either the 3.3 or the 3.6 turbo in standard form. I remember the day I picked it up I took the missus for a spin in it. She got out and wandered around the car and looking at the badge on the rear she says its a turbo. Yep I replied, she replied well it don't bloody feel like and and walked off. To be honest I've never gelled with the 944's I am a 911 man. For those not familiar with the silver rose they where all a pinky champagne metallic with awful burgundy checked interior and a burgundy coloured dash. I think the colour put the mrs off before I even turned the ignition key.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:45 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

I don't think anyone was talking RWHP it was always BHP. 400 rwhp will require cams at a min along with all the other mods mentioned, you will also be at the point of maxing out the CIS system. Although I do know of someone who was getting 500bhp out of a 3.3l using adjustable wurs and other upgrades. His race car is for sale on Pelican now and after a lot of track time it hasn't blown up yet.

I also wasn't talking about a HFS turbo. I have seen some earlier mods using stock exhaust and a 1 bar maybe 1.1 bar with a K29. Slow at spooling but was able to achieve 400 BHP with no other mods. Not a change I would make and the K29 is old school. It was all peak HP and not usable on the street. A mod for people that wanted to claim big HP #'s but don't use it.

I agree the 951 is a lot of bang for the buck but if you have the bucks I would take a 965 hands down. Hell you can't pick up a nicely setup 964 for $18k maybe a high mileage one needing work. Although a converted 968 to turbo using all factory parts is a nice ride.

Quick Reply: 951 versus 965: how do they compare?