964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Rare Colors

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rare Colors

Don't know much about the colors, but it seems like some of you do.

I was wondering if any had a list of available colors, and maybe could tell me which colors that were rare?
Old 08-03-2008, 02:43 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anothony (Cobalt) is your man, I'm sure he'll be along soon...

My 3.3 is Zermatt Silver of which I believe there are around 6 in the World, so pretty rare. I would guess that Black was probably the most popular colour, with probably Guards Red or Midnight Blue next.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by tjr
Anothony (Cobalt) is your man, I'm sure he'll be along soon...

My 3.3 is Zermatt Silver of which I believe there are around 6 in the World, so pretty rare. I would guess that Black was probably the most popular colour, with probably Guards Red or Midnight Blue next.

Based on the Register it looks like Midnight Blue was the clear leader in the RHD market. The US market seems to have a love of Black on Black so that may shift the position worldwide.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:27 PM
RoadKill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a "92" in Amazon Green. I've been told that there were only three "92's" brought into the US in that color. Don't know if that is accurate.

"Cobalt" and I have similar color preferences. His"94" is Cobalt Blue and his 928 is Amazon Green. My 2002TT is Cobalt Blue and my "92" turbo is Amazon Green!
Old 08-04-2008, 12:15 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

I feel honored.

As others have said black is by far the most common and desired color. The turbos always looked the meanest in black, the info I have shows more than 50% of all 94 turbos were painted black.

Not sure of the ROW market but any of the "Special Order" colors are going to be the most rare. Porsche required the dealerships to have a deposit from a customer to order these colors.

Most dealerships in the US played it safe by ordering black cars, figuring it would sell the quickest. Red and White were also safe. So you will find the majority cars will be one of these 3 colors.

Colors like Mint green, Signal green, Rubystone red, and even the very nice Maritime Blue were a risk to try to sell off the lot. So you won't find many in these colors. the earlier 89,90 colors had some additional options like Murano Green and Linen Gray a unique and now desirable color which looked like a putty or white color were nice but again tough to sell out of inventory, so most were the standard colors if ordered by the dealerships.

For those special ordering cars they usually went with the special order metallic paints. Zermatt Silver, Oak green, Violet blue, tahoe Blue were some very interesting colors but are not seen as often as the colors available from 1991 on. Some colors are more commonly found on the narrow body cars like my Amazon green C2 although extremely rare for the 928GTS and 964 turbo. Same with cobalt blue which seems to be far more common on a narrow body car with only 3 94 turbos i know of and one 92 turbo and a single 928GTS I have come across.

Here is a nice link which has broken down the colors available over the years of 964 production. Not all colors mentioned were offered on the turbos. There are a handful of very rare special order cars. Regarding the 94 turbos for US market the rarest seem to be Signal Green, Oak green metallic & Tahoe blue. I have only seen one of each to date after keeping tabs since the year 2001 or so. I have yet to see any US 94 turbos in Lagoon Green Metallic, Cassis Red Metallic, Satin Blue Metallic, Violet Blue Metallic, Marine Blue Metallic, Iris Blue Metallic, Aventura Green Metallic, Turquoise (Blue) or Maritime Blue although I have seen some 3.3's and a number of ROW cars painted these colors.

It doesn't mean they don't exist just not on the internet and I have seen a few turbos in custom paint to sample colors which are more than likely one offs.

For the most part any of the special order paints are rare, with the highly desireable midnight blue being the most common of the rare with a dozen or so cars I have seen. (if you can call a dozen common)

These cars look great in any color and having a rare example in a color not commonly seen is a special treat.

http://members.rennlist.com/jfk964/color_options.htm
Old 08-04-2008, 12:37 PM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

hey cobalt great bit of info, thanks for the link. So my metallic black, code 738 was special order, that's a bonus, but as you say I'd imagine there will be a few as it's a variation of black.

Steve
Old 08-04-2008, 12:44 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Hard to say how many. I know of about 6 here in the US. I am sure there are a number of ROW cars also. But even if there were 20 made it isn't exactly common and doubtful you will ever find yourself driving side by side with another. Yesterday I was driving my turbo and I was in with a group of 997TT's both besalt black. Needless to say when sitting in traffic my wife was showing me different people waving giving me the thumbs up and not even acknowledging the TT's. I guess i can be oblivious sometimes because I didn't see the people until she pointed them out.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:57 PM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

I think I can put up with being in a select small group of 20 or so, nowhere near your league or SAMikes former green, still a bonus all the same.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:57 PM
a thompson
Instructor

I love my forest green 3.3 turbo only seen one other it was a photo of a 3.6 that Anthony ie cobolt posted about a year ago. Here is a photo of my car taken this weekend I was with the 928 guys in Hell Michigan.

Andy
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2008, 01:02 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

The one thing I observed about owning a rare car in a rare color is you get attention from those interested in the model and others that care more about the unique color. Either way it is always nice to have a conversation piece.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is Midnight Blue (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turbo-forum/443327-my-car.html). But I didn't thought it was rare or special order. But happy to hear.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

I think Signal Green, Cobalt and Tahoe are fighting for top rare spot.

We have seen one presumed 3.3 and one 3.6 signal green.

I have a 3.3 Tahoe, saw one 3.3 for sale on ebay with grey interior years ago and just recently a darn nice 3.6 appeared. I am guessing that one more may be in existence as per my avatar. It is RHD and has Speedlines. Could be 3.3 or 3.6.

3 cobalt 3.6 and one 3.3.

RT
Old 08-04-2008, 02:34 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mint green...I've only seen 1 here in US

Signal Green...I've only seen one..Mike's car? 3.6
Old 08-04-2008, 03:15 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
The one thing I observed about owning a rare car in a rare color is you get attention from those interested in the model and others that care more about the unique color. Either way it is always nice to have a conversation piece.
That is so true. The Signal Green I used to have got looks everywhere I went. Like I said, I definatley felt like a rock star in that one. When I bought it from Ray, one of the things he said that was so true was "your gonna find people that absolutley love it or hate it. I know one of these days I'm gonna regret selling it....big time

Last edited by SA Mike; 08-04-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:34 PM
HADS930
Intermediate

Cobalt-PM sent

Quick Reply: Rare Colors