Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Minty's 16th B-day & Bad News

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 12:16 PM
gary11
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Shame ive account facilities with them only just seen this post ....doh!
Old 09-25-2009, 12:18 PM
gary11
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

It will repair and it will sell
Old 09-26-2009, 12:35 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How extensive is the damage to the engine and gear box? I've had my bodywork guy quote to fix it and we're looking at 40k so far to put right depending on engine and gearbox damage. I thought I might do it "just because", but it would be a labour of love not an exercise i'd expect to make money on.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:56 AM
mishpet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JamesE
How extensive is the damage to the engine and gear box? I've had my bodywork guy quote to fix it and we're looking at 40k so far to put right depending on engine and gearbox damage. I thought I might do it "just because", but it would be a labour of love not an exercise i'd expect to make money on.
when i was bidding on this the pictures of the underside were not of good quality,but you could see things were well out of postion or broke,blue cycles blurb on the vehicle stated engine damage and g/box damage as well as what could be seen,the turbo had had a bash the trailing arm on one side was broken i stopped bidding and dvb won it for 13k and change.

dvb are only 6 miles from my house if you wanted i could go down and have a good look and take some pictures of anything that is not obvious from the photos.
the thing that stoped me bidding was,i thought that the underside of the car and the bits that were uncovered due to the accident just looked a little edgy maybe andrew did not spend his spare time cleaning the underneath like i do anyway if you want me to go down let me know.pete
Old 09-27-2009, 07:34 AM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

We have sort of come to the conclusion that DVB want way too much for it and we don't know about the extent of damage that we can't see. If we could get some more info on the true state of the car I might reconsider. So, if you do go past DVB I would be interested in some decent photos and any info you can get on the stuff that is not visible from the photos.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:59 AM
mishpet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JamesE
We have sort of come to the conclusion that DVB want way too much for it and we don't know about the extent of damage that we can't see. If we could get some more info on the true state of the car I might reconsider. So, if you do go past DVB I would be interested in some decent photos and any info you can get on the stuff that is not visible from the photos.
james pm me your email i have managed to find the bluecycle images i must have saved them to my pc,and i will forward them to you.pete
Old 10-04-2009, 04:18 PM
964_Drew
Advanced

Originally Posted by mishpet
james pm me your email i have managed to find the bluecycle images i must have saved them to my pc,and i will forward them to you.pete
James,

Haven't been on here for a while, but did post pics to PCGB recently..so will do the same here.

My advice is tread carefully and assume 40k minimum for the bodywork. The engine didn't take the brunt of the impact just the exhaust and oil lines as we slid off the road over hedge roots. The passenger side caught the worst of the 50mph deceleration as you can see, and one larger tree root resulted in the twisting / splitting of the bodywork structure.

(On a lighter note though I managed to miss the lady driving her E Class Merc' Estate on my side of the road, who was avoiding pheasants !!....so all-in-all no real harm done eh?)

Regards

Last edited by 964_Drew; 10-04-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:48 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Oh, dear. Don't do things by half do you. If I didn't already have a 964 turbo project on the go I may have said what the hell, but I think this would be 1 project too far. Thanks for the pics.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:18 PM
nutter965
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Why is it the the likes of Douglas valley remove all the loose bits bumpers side sills etc to make the car look better ! all those little nuts and bolts that you'll need gone ! As Everybody says someone will take it on i'd have a rattle but it would lead to divorce and i'm not married yet !
Old 01-08-2010, 02:46 PM
ronnie3585
Advanced

Minty?
Old 01-08-2010, 04:53 PM
buzz965
Track Day

Douglas Valley have even been known to roughly jig damage out to make it look less severe...
Old 01-24-2010, 04:34 PM
F-22A
8th Gear

Hi guys,

Newbie here whose just found this thread. I've had a desire to acquire a 964T for a little while but am not in a position to splash the cash just yet so have been monitoring cars and prices.

However, because of the provenance of this car (and I love the colour) I would consider rebuilding as I could do it slowly and thus spread the funding. I'm used to having old cars reconstructed and restored so a rebuild doesn't frighten me in the slightest; more the initial purchase price that DV wants before a spanner is lifted!

One question I have is from the look of the photos can anyone better informed give me an idea of how much work is really involved?

I assume that it's a reshell with panels (bumpers, lights etc) and four wheels but what else is there?

Appreciate any comments you can make.

Tks
Martin
Old 01-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Hi Martin,
Welcome.
IMO, Minty would make a good doner car. Way too much damage. After you spend whatever it takes to get her back on the road, you have a salvage title which de-values the car severely in the event of a re-sale.
You would be dollars ahead to find a nice, clean 964T. If you are not in a hurry, you could find another mint green one, but it will take time and a lot of research.
Oh yeah, nice airplane
Old 01-25-2010, 04:28 AM
F-22A
8th Gear

Tks for the welcome Paul (the F-22 is an awesome jet!)

Hear what you say and you're probably right. For me it's Minty's history that makes the car attractive even though it would be a rebuild. I'm looking for a UK dealer supplied RHD car which obviously limits my options and I'm told that from the (42?) cars that were sold in the UK there was only one other sold in this colour and no one knows who owns that one or even where it is...
Old 01-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

42 is still the best figure i have for uk supplied cars. There is no sign of another mint green car in the UK
though there is a LHD wimbledon green that has been in some magazines. Im sure a better priced car will
turn up eventually or Douglas Valley will drop their price. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Minty's 16th B-day & Bad News