RHD 964 Turbo in Canada/States?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:28 PM
privatepang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RHD 964 Turbo in Canada/States?

Hi all,

just curious if its hard to source RHD 964 Turbos in the States/Canada? I'll be doing the move from Australia and would like to bring one back with me in a couple of years.

Read that LHD -> RHD conversions are frowned upon on these forums so hoping to find a factory RHD example?

If conversion is the only route, has anyone done this and have ball park figures?

Sorry if this has been asked but tried doing a search and couldnt find the info I was after.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I wouldn't reccomend getting a 3.6 converted, even more so a rhd. They're so sought after and in small numbers that I think you'd basically destroy any provenance and drastically reduce future resale.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 PM
privatepang
Advanced

Fair enough

so i guess the answer to my question would be close to impossible to find a RHD 964 turbo in the states/canada.
Doh

What are the rules there? Are you allowed to drive RHD cars in the states?
Old 05-01-2010, 07:12 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by privatepang
What are the rules there? Are you allowed to drive RHD cars in the states?
Yes - provided you can deal with the practicality aspect, the bigger issue is the required DOT and EPA certification for non-US cars that are being imported into the country. You are much better off buying a car and then selling it again when you leave.

For a RHD car, the UK is the biggest market but given the exchange rate to the US$, possible US State Sales tax and the DOT and EPA conversion costs, you're looking at an extremely expensive proposition to go that route.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:59 AM
privatepang
Advanced

OK did a bit of research for the Aus laws and I need to own the car for 12 months and cars that i bring it must be RHD so UK is out of the question(as i'll be in Canada)....

now back to my original question, i've worked out that the 3.6L is too rare
so if i get a 3.3L 964Turbo , anyone got any shops they can recommend in Canada/US to get the LHD to RHD conversion done?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2010, 03:01 AM
syzygy
Instructor

It's unlikely that you'll find anyone in Canada to do a LHD to RHD conversion. We just have no need for it. Most cars here are LHD. If the vehicle is 15 years old, it is exempt from federal motor vehicle regulations so one sometimes sees one running around, usually imported from Japan. Coincidentally, I have never seen a 911 from Japan, which is a RHD country, that is actually a RHD car. All have had the wheel on the left...

If you are insistent on finding someone to do this conversion, there are some who have completed RHD to LHD conversions on Landcruisers and other vehicles from the Japanese market. They would have the most experience in these kinds of conversions, although probably not with Porsche. You would likely find these in the Vancouver, BC area. Perhaps check on JDM auto web forums like ih8mud.com and others.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:48 AM
Big Jock
Instructor

Just a note to say I converted a 1982 carrera from lhd to rhd many years ago and the job involves replacing the whole bulkhead or firewall as you may call it.That is everything between the A posts.I had the car on a jig and it was still the absolute worse job I had ever done.Just as a side note,not long after I finished the car I had the oppurtunity to buy a 1989 5sp flat nose turbo done 8000 mls that had been converted from lhd to rhd and I walked from it because I knew how difficult the conversion was.Im kicking myself now because it was 3 years old and £18k!!!!
Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 PM
privatepang
Advanced

damn ok

Big Jock, how rare are the 3.3 964 Turbos in the UK?
Other option is I buy a car from the UK, import it to Canada then import it to Aus

argh thats gonna be costly..

Thanks for the info syz, i know a lot of ppl say u just cant get the RHD 964T parts in the US/Canada which is the biggest issue... Been quoted about $50k here to convert it which is crazy.

O and jap 911s are all LHD
I looked into that option as well haha

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:51 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The 3.3 Turbo in the UK is 'uncommon' - but not rare like the 3.6. There are usually a few for sale at any given time, but finding a good one is always difficult.

Bear in mind that if buying one from the UK, then unless it has lived in a bubble for the last 18 years or so, it will have suffered at least some corrosion from our climate and salty roads. Exhaust systems and engine tinware are especially prone.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:21 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by privatepang
Other option is I buy a car from the UK, import it to Canada then import it to Aus

argh thats gonna be costly..
I think that's your only option. FYI, any car built more than 15 years prior to importation can brought into Canada with no modifications. The vehicle can be RHD (there are TONS of RHD imports from Japan around here). It must only pass a provincial safety inspection to be registered for the road. Race cars don't apply and I've heard that rollcages are a no-no also. So no "Clubsport" models (RS/CS).
Old 06-07-2010, 10:13 PM
privatepang
Advanced

Ah thanks for the info Tim.
This is proving very difficult. No one to covert to RHD if i find one in States/Canada, UK ones are all rusty....

ARGH!!

Might have to settle for a 30 yr old 930 (which wont have to be converted if i bring it back)
Old 07-28-2010, 12:46 AM
ozpilot
Intermediate

Privatepang

I'm in the same situation. I'm a dual Australian/US citizen living in the US looking to move back in the next few years.

I have a 1995 LHD 993 now and I'd love to take it back but I hate the idea of getting it converted or waiting 15 years for it to turn 30!

I too am looking at importing a RHD 993 from the UK and taking that back. I'm going to see the local DMV tomorrow and I'll ask if its ok to import a RHD into this country.

I'll be following this thread carefully.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:24 AM
morganb
Instructor

Guys,

I have no experience with LHD cars but have imported 4 RHD cars into Oz.

Check here for a summary. http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4371.asp

Here for links to forms and how to fill them in. http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...les/index.aspx

I understand if the car is later than a 1989 you will have to have owned and used the car for 12 months or more overseas. Once you get it there you have to get it registered. In Victoria this means an engineers certificate. in most cases this will mean at least some stickers for tyres and fuel, baby seat belt anchor points, high level tail light if not already installed and an unleaded fuel filler. I have had wierd requirements like put a side repeater on the front guard despite Oz models not having it. It is a bit of a hassle and most people do not like imported cars. I imported 3 of mine for my own use over a long period so resale was not so important to me.

Good Luck.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Gandara
Pro

Drive it like the Germans do (except at 100+mph speeds on the highway which is illegal in the US :X )
Old 08-10-2010, 12:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 344 Posts

Checked out Turbo prices in Australia.... As much as I love my Turbo 3.6 I can't see it making it across the ditch if I work in Melbourne, as the tax/duty would kill me.

Quick Reply: RHD 964 Turbo in Canada/States?