Old 09-30-2010, 04:24 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Ultimate Motorwerks New K27 7200 Billet HySpool

I am happy to announce our new Billet K27 HySpool turbocharger. It has taken me almost a year of R & D to get all the engineering done. This new turbocharger heart is a brand new compressor wheel design. If we forget that the wheel is CNC Forged Billet and look at the new swept leading inducers and the Extended Tip design. These design features improve the efficiency and allows us to increase the wheel diameters while keeping the overall wheel weight and mass down. Infact this wheel is 2mm larger in inducer diameter vs the stock 7200 wheel and weighs in 14 grams lighter.

The major OEM turbo manufactures have stated that a Billet compressor wheel will NOT improve the overall performance and efficiency over a exact original CAST compressor wheel. However a forged billet wheel is generally lighter and stronger which will allow one to speed the compressor wheel up in RPM to attain higher Pressure Levels. In truth for the stock and lightly modded 930 and 965 we rarely go over 1.2 bars with 1.0 being the norm.

The original K27-7200 has a unique feature the tree root that center around the turbine wheel shaft is very compact. This is a highly sought after engineering feature. The root will have less mass which gives us more blade tip cross section. Basically, the blades will be able to grab and compress more air vs a thick root and smaller width blade tips. The negative to all of this is> as you increase the blade width across the inducer (which is the actual compressor wheel diameter that you can see) you have to have a root that will support the larger blades. That is why you see the different frame sizes. K24, K26, K27 and as you increase in size the mass of the rotating assy increases and you increase lag. Yes you will gain more output lbs per minute, but you increase turbo lag.

Forged Billet CNC'd compressor wheels exceed cast wheel strength and allow one to design larger compressor "inducer" with smaller roots. This automatically give us "efficiency" The other major design is the extended tip. In the last 5 years the new aluminum alloys have allowed stronger wheels to be produced. The new 997TT and 997GT2 and GT2RS have all of these features. The extended tip allow one to have a larger Major diameter Extended Tip while keeping the machined root smaller. The benifit is a very fat broad MAP. Extended Tip design really expands the performance of the turbocharger. At low shaft RPM the compressor wheel is able to generate/compress the slower incoming air. The surge line is moved further away giving more usable boost at lower engine RPM.

Modern CAD design with built in Fluid Dynamic modules allow us to simulate "bench" performance. I earlier mentioned that I based this new design on the latest proven compressor wheels that have been produced in the last few years. This wheel is unique and all new. The performance benifit will allow the K27 to spool up a little quicker and at the same time producing more boost to redline. Hence the name K27 HySpool.

The above picture is the new K27 HySpool Forged Billet compressor wheel. This turbocharger is for those that are trying to get there stock and mildly tuned engine to spool up quicker. The most frequent email that I receive weekly is how can I get rid of my lag. The compressor housing that this wheel gets CNC'd into is my K27 "S" housing. It is proven and has a great track record. Early test on my 965 has shown that I have spooled up 460 to 545 RPM's sooner vs a standard K27-7200. While this isn't earth shaking, I have full boost all the way to redline. Please note: hand in hand with this new compressor wheel design, in time it will be mated on a new variable vane turbine system. I will post a picture of that turbocharger which has been installed on my car. While I would love to bring that new turbocharger out into the market right now. Financially it is not possible at this time.

Two quick things to add. The new HySpool does not match the output of the HyFlow series of turbochargers. This new turbocharger is geared for those that are upgrading 3LDZ, and 7200 that want a faster spooling turbocharger all the way to Redline.

2nd, I will be posting other pictures and including pricing for this new turbocharger.

Last edited by Kevin; 09-30-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:01 AM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how does this compare to the k-27 hfs that a lot of us already have in our cars?
Old 10-02-2010, 05:43 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ken, this turbo is designed to spool up quicker than a 3LDZ and 7200 and stretch out it's legs to Redline. The HyFlow and HyFlow S have alot more capacity/output.

The stock 7200 inducer measures a bit over 54mm The new HySpool measures over 56mm. The HyFlow series is over 61mm.

The new Billet HySpool while larger is lighter and with it's very efficient design will build boost sooner.

For the larger output engines, the HyFlow series is the correct turbochargers.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

What is the warranty on your turbochargers?
Also, are you going to publish compressor maps?
Old 10-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ultimate Motorwerks warranty is one year. However, it is conditional. This means that if you have FOD damage to the compressor wheel of turbine wheel you bare the cost of repair. Damage from unmonitored AFR's on CIS fuel system that result in turbine seal and burnt bearings will also require a rebuild. Oil control and scavenge systems today need attention along with careful new turbo breakin proceedures.

I have never published my compressor maps on any of my turbochargers, similar to my "S" series and HyFlow series of turbochargers. Now if one is building a stroker engine and provides me with engine engineering like Superflow CFM head data, camshaft specs, and displacement changes I will gladly review the information and provide you with information that will allow you to make your purchase decision.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
I have never published my compressor maps on any of my turbochargers, similar to my "S" series and HyFlow series of turbochargers
In God we trust; everyone else better bring their compressor maps
Old 10-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Paul, why did you write that?
Old 10-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
Paul, why did you write that?
Because I don't understand why you won't publish your maps. Your main competitor (Garrett) has no issue with publishing that data.
The lack of compressor maps is a sore subject with myself and others. I personally would find it impossible to commit the amount of money that is required to purchase one of your turbos without knowing exactly what I am getting. I realize that many of your customers are not savvy enough to worry about compressor efficiency but I am a engine engineer and I would require data such as that to commit to your product. I feel that you would expand the number of potential customers if you did so.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

While Garrett might gladly publish there GT series and certain performance compressor maps, and 20 year old T3, TO4 data, they will not publish there Industrial Diesel and there new VTG maps. Similar to Borg Warner, KKK, and Holset. The public only sees 20% of the data. What is leaked and trickled out the back door 10 years later doesn't matter anymore.

I am not going to spend a year testing and invest in a failure. This compressor wheel was not the first wheel in this new unit, the drawing board were re-visited. I have been driving 930's for almost 30 years and I have a pretty good idea of what is going on with the engineering of this engine and the turbochargers. This new turbocharger is a stepping stone required for the coming variable-vane turbine that is right around the corner. This turbocharger is to fit a nitch. That nitch is to reduce LAG on produce torque quicker on a lightly modded 930 and 965 engine. It is not designed to go after the HyFLow or larger Hybrid turbochargers. It has one criteria, and it will deliver the goods. This compressor wheel is spot on for the 3.3ltr running right in the sweet spot or maximum wheel efficiency.

Whether or not my customers are Savy to figure it out, let's leave it up to time to write the final chapters. With the economy in the dump, I would expect out of any decent person to have some respect at what is being done by "anyone" in the community trying to bring something new to the market. Time will tell how good this turbocharger is. We can all look at the signatures that read K27 "S" or K27 HyFlow. I'm hoping to see K27 HySpool added to the mix.

Last edited by Kevin; 10-03-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Gandara
Pro

How much for one k27 "s"?
Old 10-04-2010, 02:34 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ultimate Motorwerks K27 "S" is $1,389.00
Old 10-04-2010, 02:16 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Please note: hand in hand with this new compressor wheel design, in time it will be mated on a new variable vane turbine system. I will post a picture of that turbocharger which has been installed on my car. While I would love to bring that new turbocharger out into the market right now. Financially it is not possible at this time.
Is this a potential reality? I am quite happy with my Hyflow but this intrigues me more than what you posted which I appreciate and enjoyed reading about.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Is this a potential reality? I am quite happy with my Hyflow but this intrigues me more than what you posted which I appreciate and enjoyed reading about
I have projects burning on all sides. Something worth mentioning> a variable vane turbocharger is worthless if you don't have a engine management system that can control it. I can finally say that the "black box" has been finished and in a limited production. I can log engine speed, boost, back-pressure, turbine speed, AFR's, vane positions and program stepped vane "preset" maps. Eventually the plan is to control the warm up regulator for additional fueling, but that is NOT finished yet.

I have been running and testing the prototype for 3 years. The compressor wheel has been a weakness hence this new upgraded design. In the early dyno test it became clear that the compresor wheel was lagging behind the turbine wheel. But even with the "7200" wheel, torque was "early" in the RPM run. This is a horrible example > variable vanes turbine systems are like mounting a supercharger to your turbocharger. It's amazing to see how fast the turbine wheel/rotating assy starts to climb in RPM vs the engine RPM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:17 AM
rodolf
Intermediate

What is the max power with your K27 HiSpool ? Same as a stock K27 ? K29 HiSpool in project ?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rodolf, the stock K27 that is on our cars will run out of capacity in and around 5200 RPM's. This will change from engine to engine when other mods when taken into account.

The HySpool will deliver 1 bar to redline with great efficiency. The base design of this compressor wheel "is" latest technology. While the 7200 is a great compressor wheel. This wheel is leaps ahead.

As far as "power" is concerned. HP will be greater due to the fact that you won't have a compressor wheel tailing off. More Torque will be available sooner and greater in the engine RPM band. This is due to the turbocharger spooling up quicker. If boost is available sooner we have "torque"..

Again, this turbocharger is to fit a specific need and request, and to usher in another turbocharger around the corner. If you are needing a high output high HP turbocharger, Ultimate Motorwerks HyFlow series of turbochargers are available.

Most 965 customers have stock exhaust systems, stock heat exchangers and mufflers. The K27 HySpool is a additional turbocharger that fits right beside the K27 "S".

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks New K27 7200 Billet HySpool