Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Has Anyone Recently Purchased New Speedlines?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Bernard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has Anyone Recently Purchased New Speedlines?

I'm thinking about buying a set of factory speedlines if they are still available from the dealer. I'm wondering if they will still come with the etching on the wheel lips? Thanks

Last edited by Bernard; 04-25-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:53 AM
a thompson
Instructor

Bernard, I thought about buying a new set too but went with Jim Dorociak. jdorociak@gmail.com I had him rebuild an old set he already had. At least for me this was the best way to go. Jim does great work and post on this board. He can also etch the wheels with the speedline for porsche. FYI you will still pay like you are buying a new set but I think after a rebuild by Jim the quality is better than new. Anyway hope this info helps. The photo will show you the etching Jim can do. Also when the weather gets better in Michigan I will post a picture with them on my car, I hope in a week or two.
Andy
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2011, 12:07 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Andy, thanks for the kind words. I use different finishes than the factory Speedline wheels, which eliminates the short comings. Bolt heads do not rust, the clear coat is not applied over the bolt heads, which eventually will crack allowing moisture under the heads and then the finish deteriorates under the clear coat on the rim. When I restore sets I can actually resize the wheel and fit a little larger than the factory did. On Andy's set I used 2.25" new outer rear lip and 8.25" new inner rim making a 10.75" rear wheel. jdorociak@gmail.com Jim
Old 04-26-2011, 06:59 PM
Bernard
Pro

a thompson, thanks for the info. That looks great. Yes, please post pictures once installed. Jim I know you sent me some info sometime back but please PM me a quote for 18X8/18X10 non polish wheels. Thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Bernard, sorry the only 3.6 Turbo Speedline centers that I have available for a build are polished. I almost never build stock size wheels any more as everyone wants a little wider, a custom fit a special set of Speedline wheels. I did do a set of polished Speedline wheels and then put a black tint in with the TSC clear coat for a unique look. You could see into the color. Jim jdorociak@gmail.com
Attached Images     
Old 04-27-2011, 04:21 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

You are the man Jim
Old 04-28-2011, 06:27 AM
V
Drifting

Beautiful as always, very nice Jim!
Old 04-30-2011, 02:16 AM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 21 Posts

Jim is the man and I can't say enough good things about him! He's not only redone the speedlines off of my flachbau, but also the modulars off of the passenger side of my Maranello. Jim, no comments about how I managed to muck them up! Anyway, one CANNOT go wrong with Jim.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:50 AM
clutch-monkey
Instructor

wow they look fantastic jim. would you mind pm'ing me a rough quote for a set like andy's?
Old 04-30-2011, 11:55 AM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

clutch-monkey I just sent you a PM.
Les - thank you for the kind words, the pleasure was all mine.
I am just finishing a set of special Speedline Alessio wheels for a 930 in Tucson. I built with special modified centers that I always wanted to build. I had the elongated lug nut area on the centers welded up and then drill back with a traditional round hole. I flattened the ridge on the sides of the spokes at the same time basically changing the look of the center. It was requested that I build a total black wheel. I built 8.5 and 11.5 wheels and black anodized the outer lips and then clear coated with TSC. I used black bolts, painted the inner rims black and they came out great. jdorociak@gmail.com jim
Attached Images   
Old 04-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Bernard
Pro

Jim,

The reason I was thinking of sticking with the stock size is my car is pretty low and I also run 285 on the rear. Not sure if I run any wider in the back I wouldn't have rubbing issues?

Last edited by Bernard; 04-30-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Picture added
Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

The RH wheels are 10" and are built with 7.75" and 2.25" outer lip. The offset of the wheel center is different than the Speedline wheels. In fact the offset on the front of the Speedline wheel is the same as the RH centers, and those wheels use the same center for either the front or rear wheel. I have been using the front Speedline center on the rear and then increasing the rim width to the 2.25" and even if I use the Speedline 8" inner lip it would still make a 10.5" rear wheel. Many guys are running 285 with 11" rear wheels or larger, so with a 10.5 or 10.75" and that size tire you would be fine. I could built 8 & 10's if that is what you really want. Jim jdorociak@gmail.com
Old 04-30-2011, 09:45 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 90 Posts

Jim is certainly the "Go to Guy" when it comes to refinishing Speedlines correctly ,his work is
impecable..
In fact he's restoring an "RS" set for me as we speak which would be my second full set..any updates
Jim? thanks Bert
Old 04-30-2011, 11:04 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Bert, I am just finishing the black set I attached pictures of, I have your inner 8" rims in primer, I had to have (1) of the 7" inner front rims trued, and just got it back, so I am ready to start preparing that pair for paint next week. So I have yours and another set of 993 RS wheels moving through the shop at the same time. Jim jdorociak@gmail.com
Old 04-30-2011, 11:05 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Bernard, sorry for stealing your thread. jim

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Recently Purchased New Speedlines?