Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

My 3.6 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 08:49 AM
RDH
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes ...I have them also on my 3.6, original speedlines (rear wheels) ...supports ....
Old 12-08-2013, 05:25 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Centripetal force causes a body to follow a circular rotation.
The valve stem supports are there to impart a centripetal force against the valve stems, in the direction opposite that of centrifugal force.

The reactive centrifugal force at the valve stem, due to the rotating wheel/tire assembly, imparts a stress at the rubber base of the valve stem [classical loaded beam]. When that stress is great enough, the material [rubber] goes into elastic deformation. That is, if/when the stress is removed [e.g. vehicle slows down/comes to a stop], the material returns to its undeformed state.

In this case, stress increases with increasing reactive centrifugal force [e.g. wheel rotational velocity/vehicle speed]. If yield stress is exceeded, that material goes into plastic deformation and has been permanently altered. That is, if/when the stress is removed, the material does not return to its undeformed state. If ultimate stress is exceeded, that material goes into failure. To prevent the valve stems from failing, the valve stem supports are there to impart a centripetal force against ever-increasing centrifugal forces.

If the stem were to become detached from the rim, it's vector would end up being tangent to the circular path of the rim;
No, not tangential...orthogonal to the velocity vector [circular path] of the valve stem at the instant of failure/detachment.

I would guess that the support prevents the stem from bending due to centrifugal force induced at speeds high enough to land you in jail
Okay...I'll drink to that.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RDH
yes ...I have them also on my 3.6, original speedlines (rear wheels) ...supports ....
So was this a factory fit? and did they have them for the front as well?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
The valve stem supports are there to impart a centripetal force against the valve stems, in the direction opposite that of centrifugal force.

The reactive centrifugal force at the valve stem, due to the rotating wheel/tire assembly, imparts a stress at the rubber base of the valve stem [classical loaded beam]. When that stress is great enough, the material [rubber] goes into elastic deformation. That is, if/when the stress is removed [e.g. vehicle slows down/comes to a stop], the material returns to its undeformed state.

In this case, stress increases with increasing reactive centrifugal force [e.g. wheel rotational velocity/vehicle speed]. If yield stress is exceeded, that material goes into plastic deformation and has been permanently altered. That is, if/when the stress is removed, the material does not return to its undeformed state. If ultimate stress is exceeded, that material goes into failure. To prevent the valve stems from failing, the valve stem supports are there to impart a centripetal force against ever-increasing centrifugal forces.

No, not tangential...orthogonal to the velocity vector [circular path] of the valve stem at the instant of failure/detachment.

Okay...I'll drink to that.
So Allen, are these important? As I haven't sen this on any of the other wheels.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:15 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nski
So Allen, are these important? As I haven't sen this on any of the other wheels.
Norm, the factory Fuchs on my 930 [and all 930s I've seen] have them, and the factory turbo phone dials on my 951 have them, as well. I'm not sure how many of these stem supports were fitted to standard 911 Fuchs or standard 924/928/944 phone dials, but, as Paul mentioned, his SC had them.

How important are they? Disregarding my diatribe on centripetal/centrifugal force, I suspect they were, yet, one more thing, over-engineered by the Factory.

Most aftermarket wheels I've seen, like Paul's RH 3.6s, do not have them. But, some, like RDH's speedlines, do. It would be interesting to note in which camp the factories from Ferrari, Aston, and Lamborghini sit. I suspect, for wheel aesthetics, they leave the stem supports off. And if that is indeed the case, then, they can't be that important in preventing valve stem failures. Any exotic owners here care to chime in for our edification?

Leave it to the Germans...
Old 04-19-2014, 10:15 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Finally shes taxed, tested & insured to use now on the road after last years overhaul. What perfect weather now ready for the summer in the UK.

I couldn't wait as you can see a drive out at night whilst everyones asleep after work

Old 04-19-2014, 10:20 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

The first picture is my favourite of the night.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:48 AM
RDH
Racer

Sharp....
Old 05-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

The spring weather here in the UK is getting better and summer is around the corner. This year I promised to use the turbo a little more whilst shes fresh.

Just a few chores on the list to do, but whilst she had an oil change, I discovered the oil cap was a little worn on the inner plastic thread. So a new one was order from the Porsche dealers. Part number 944! is that right?

Old 05-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

As they do get a little oily and dirty through the years.

Now it looks too new!

Old 05-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

New and old! Its that old the plastic threads worn and will not tighten anymore.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:42 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Check the fill neck. The sealing surface gets damaged by careless wrenches and then they'll leak. I replaced mine as the top part with the threads is sold for repair but it is brazed on. I carefully removed the old one and brazed in the new one while I had the engine out last year.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:58 AM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Check the fill neck. The sealing surface gets damaged by careless wrenches and then they'll leak. I replaced mine as the top part with the threads is sold for repair but it is brazed on. I carefully removed the old one and brazed in the new one while I had the engine out last year.
Paul, am sure they do get damaged all these years by careless wrenches!! Will check. Once I found the oil cap wouldn't tighten, I ordered one straight away. A friend of mine ran a 964 track car with a dodgy oil cap, unlucky he ran round the track and spilt oil over the track!!!yiks
Old 05-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

She went on a nice little run with the Supercar Drivers on race day at Oulton Park track, with a special lap of honour to end the day.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:56 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Aston Martin V8 Vantage X pack, my father has a similar one in Royal Blue over Parchment.

Quick Reply: My 3.6 Turbo