Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Time to reconsider how you view your car?

Old 04-20-2014, 12:14 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm going to keep driving mine. I bought it [only 18 months ago] because I wanted to experience another cool fun to drive car. I didn't buy with any thought whatsoever about it appreciating. If it does - great. If not who cares. It was built to be driven. To me - real esate, stocks, bonds, etc - those are investments. This is a cool _car_. I think it's a bit sad that cars won't get driven because of their value. Where's the fun in that???

But that's just me....
Old 04-21-2014, 09:25 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,166 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Boys 1
Tasracer That car at 120,000 is not the Bad Boys car. Been for sale for a long time. Without seeing it- condition unknown. But it should probably be worth at
least asking based on current prices.
Glad to see your back. Was talking to Frank and he is looking forward to a reunion this summer.

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
I'm going to keep driving mine. I bought it [only 18 months ago] because I wanted to experience another cool fun to drive car. I didn't buy with any thought whatsoever about it appreciating. If it does - great. If not who cares. It was built to be driven. To me - real esate, stocks, bonds, etc - those are investments. This is a cool _car_. I think it's a bit sad that cars won't get driven because of their value. Where's the fun in that???

But that's just me....
It is all relative. I think we all did the same thing initially. Owning these cars is a form of a love affair. No matter how perfect eventually you go from spending as much time as you can to just spending quality time. Life has a way of taking over. I have several cars to play with so it makes it easier for me to be selective about driving it. I would just hate to have anything happen. When it is one of one it makes it hard to replace if something were to happen.

I stopped driving mine for driving sake years ago. When I take it out I make sure it is driven like I stole it.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Bad Boys 1
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi Anthony

I never left.....just lurking.

I would like to get together with you and Frank. Ill keep in touch and maybe soon.

Has anyone here ever looked at that black car that they claim is movie car?
I know it's been talked about, and for sale for quite some time.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:20 PM
njcycleguy
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Gents,

Just sold my '91 Turbo on eBay. In 2 days. Over 20 inquiries.

The values are skyrocketing. Enjoy the appreciation if you're in. Be prepared to pay if you're not.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:53 PM
turbowagon
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have babied my 3.6 for the past 10+ years.
This year my twin turns 6 so last weekend was the first time I took them out for a ride, the backseat fits them perfectly and the ride was rock solid, fast ,reliable and mostly I felt very safe for them. They even helped me doing the dishes afterward(clean wheel) .
I will continue to cherish this bad boy but life is about building memory with the people you love so I will be taking it out a lot more.
I thank Porsche for building this wonderful 'Race car' as my girls referred :-)
Old 04-22-2014, 01:04 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbowagon
This year my twin turns 6 so last weekend was the first time I took them out for a ride, the backseat fits them perfectly and the ride was rock solid, fast ,reliable and mostly I felt very safe for them. They even helped me doing the dishes afterward(clean wheel) .
I will continue to cherish this bad boy but life is about building memory with the people you love so I will be taking it out a lot more.
Its a very special vehicle, hang on to it.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:59 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,166 Posts

Hi Anthony

I would like to get together with you and Frank. Ill keep in touch and maybe soon.

Has anyone here ever looked at that black car that they claim is movie car?
I know it's been talked about, and for sale for quite some time.
We are both in maybe if it is before beach weather we can meet up this way. Frank moved a bit North of me.

Honestly if the owner of the car would advertise it as "like" the car in the movie vs "is" the car from the movie it would probably have sold by now. I could understand his ploy if the interior was the correct color.

Originally Posted by turbowagon
Those are great years. part of my purchasing the 3.6T was so my 6 year old son at the time could sit in the back with belts. Vs the RS clone which had nothing. He fit perfectly then. He used to giggle every time the boost came on. He used to scream at me for the turbo BOOOOOSSSSHHT! I miss those days. Now he is almost as tall as I am and will be going to College soon enough.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:41 PM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt

It is all relative. I think we all did the same thing initially. Owning these cars is a form of a love affair. No matter how perfect eventually you go from spending as much time as you can to just spending quality time. Life has a way of taking over. I have several cars to play with so it makes it easier for me to be selective about driving it. I would just hate to have anything happen. When it is one of one it makes it hard to replace if something were to happen.

I stopped driving mine for driving sake years ago. When I take it out I make sure it is driven like I stole it.
This is an interesting discussion. I totally agree with cobalt, the main issue as I see it is risk. Not risk in the sense that the car will lose value, but risk that something will happen to the car. If I drop something on the car, if the kids do something to the car, if I have a fire in the garage, risk of theft or a door ding in a parking lot. Or even a stone chip in the wrong place, or a tree falling on the car.

It might sound ridiculous but say you have a low mileage 3.6 turbo with original paint work. Then what do you do if you get a ding on one of the fenders, front or rear. Of course there are good shops (or even Porsche Classic) but it's still going to affect value. Maybe in years from now, people will care less about whether the hood was repainted at some point. But with the rare birds like the 3.6, original paintwork will always be a big plus. Ofcourse if a real professional is good enough, he could probably repaint the door however many times it takes to get the exact matching color, texture etc..

So the next question is, should you keep the hood on the car (oem sticker underneath impossible to replicate) or buy a spare one and keep it on the wall? Same with the speedlines.. But those are minor things compared to say if someone throws a stone on the rear fender of the car.

I don't see mileage as a big problem, if you have a few other cars to chose from and on top of that a family to take care of, then even less so. There simply will not be enough time to drive too much . And if the mileage is 25.XXX or 35.XXX in 10 years is not going to matter that much I think. In the end there's no point to have the car if it's not used...

So bottom line it's a lot of money but in 10 years it's not going to be worth less than it is today. With supply and demand as they are, prices (over the long run) is only going one direction. So you have a rare car which is absolutely fantastic that you can use from time to time when you feel like it. And it's better than money in the bank . It's also a piece of art, instead of having a Rembrant on the wall you have a 3.6 turbo in the garage to look at.. The only problem as I see it is the risk described above. How do you guys minimize that risk, is there a way of solving that problem? Just interested to hear how others think.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:45 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Where can you get a spare sticker with the car vin and options under the hood ?
Old 04-22-2014, 09:01 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 490 Posts

Hi Anthony

I'm still here. Spending a lot more time in the Racing Section these days. Mt car is in storage. Haven' seen it in about 6 months.

We need to get the car back together for a little detail and maybe a photo shoot and drive
Old 04-22-2014, 10:04 PM
Bad Boys 1
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Frank,

Sounds great.....but I guess I'll need a car.

Look forward to a get together
Old 04-23-2014, 10:10 AM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MeanMachine
You can't.

That's why I suggested to buy a spare one (a spare hood that is, not the sticker) and put the original hood in storage .

In all seriousness, it's one of the things that's important to look at when buying a car and it will raise questions if it's not there (or not original).

Last edited by V; 04-23-2014 at 10:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-23-2014, 11:17 AM
turbowagon
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt
Those are great years. part of my purchasing the 3.6T was so my 6 year old son at the time could sit in the back with belts. Vs the RS clone which had nothing. He fit perfectly then. He used to giggle every time the boost came on. He used to scream at me for the turbo BOOOOOSSSSHHT! I miss those days. Now he is almost as tall as I am and will be going to College soon enough.
Thats awesome, maybe its time your hand the key to him for his prom date :-) j/k
I am looking foward to the joy of sharing my passion about cars/bikes with my kids.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:52 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MeanMachine
Contact the people in THIS THREAD and THIS THREAD.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:43 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Contact the people in THIS THREAD and THIS THREAD.
Thank you, a friend of mine needs these for his cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Time to reconsider how you view your car?