Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you remove the crankshaft pulley?

Old 07-10-2012, 10:09 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts
Default How do you remove the crankshaft pulley?

I found some various threads on this but its still not clear to me how you remove the crankshaft pulley without the special holder tool. (for the purposes of changing the timing chain cover gaskets on the right side).

The factory procedure shows special tool 000 721 928 51 which is inexpensive and easy to get. The other tool is 9690, Porsche part number 000.721.929.00 which seems to be more $$$$ and harder to get. Haven't tried yet.

Does anyone have any tips on not just how to remove the crankshaft pulley but then how to properly put it back on.

People who have made their own version of 9290:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...y-removal.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...oval-tool.html

Last edited by RicardoD; 07-11-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:15 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

I know that you should use the/a tool rather than jam the flywheel and hoof on the bolt which I think some people have done, risking a twisted crankshaft. Simlarly you can damage camshafts and timing chains by not using the/a tool when removing the bolts.

Berni
Old 07-10-2012, 11:04 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Ricardo,

This is for your TIP?

There's no other way other that using a strap wrench over the pulley, then you risk damaging the harmonic balancer.

My tool is available
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ght=mojorizing

you pay shpping.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

The bolt-like tool is the puller (actually functions like a pusher) used to pop out the harmonic balancer once you remove the center bolt. This is the easy part, by far.

The other tool is used to keep the crank from rotating when you loosen and tighten the bolt. I attempted to use 5th gear+pressing the brake pedal+breaker bar to remove the bolt and couldn't do it. The engine would start to rotate CCW whenever I put force onto the bar.

I should have planned ahead better to borrow a tool from one of the guys in North America, but I didn't and ended up using a big Dewalt electric impact (rated at 340lbs) to remove and reinstall the bolt. I'm not proud about it, but it worked out in the end.

Depending on what you're trying to accomplish, you may not need to remove the harmonic balancer. I was reading through the build thread by Enso after I had done by big teardown and he was able to access the timing chain cover w/o disturbing the harmonic balancer or removing the A/C bracket.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-system-2.html
See Post #30.

Last edited by Vandit; 07-10-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:53 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

The thing about removing the cover without removing the balancer/AC bracket is that the studs on the right cover need to back out when you loosen the cover nuts....if the studs don't come out, you'll have to double nut them to take them out. Then you'll have clearance to slip out the cover. But there's not enough room to double nut them. And you don't want to vise grip the studs out..

I didn't have the tool to start with, but it was easier to make it then dealing with the cover studs.

PM rennlist member ja78911sc and see if he has his aluminum version available.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:47 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Wow, thanks guys.

Mojorizing, PM sent.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:34 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ricardo

Once I had the A/C bracket removed, I took a grinder to it and cut out the lip behind the pulley along with the side around the chain cover. Now, I can remove the bracket, or get to the cover nuts without having to pull the pulley.

BTW: I also used an impact gun to remove the bolt. I had access to the tool (stepped bolt), but I recall that there was a post a while back where you insert an appropriately sized socket into the bolt hole, then tighten down on the bolt and the pulley pops off.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LouZ
Once I had the A/C bracket removed, I took a grinder to it and cut out the lip behind the pulley along with the side around the chain cover. Now, I can remove the bracket, or get to the cover nuts without having to pull the pulley.
I did this too. You can see pics of how much I cut in the project thread I created.

Originally Posted by LouZ
I had access to the tool (stepped bolt), but I recall that there was a post a while back where you insert an appropriately sized socket into the bolt hole, then tighten down on the bolt and the pulley pops off.
I dropped a couple of valve cover nuts into the hole so the puller tool would bottom out quicker. I didn't use the OEM tool, instead I used a harmonic balaner rental puller set from O'Reily's and the only piece of the kit you need is the big threaded rod.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:55 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

I am ordering the proper tool from Porsche, part number 000 721 928 51, for the crank pulley removal. It is less than $20 and the right tool for the job. I have a whole bunch of stuff coming from Sunset Porsche so I added it to the list.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:22 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

I borrowed the correct tools from a workshop over a weekend. Made the work very easy without any risk of damaging anything.

Thomas
Old 07-13-2012, 03:13 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Ricardo,

Tool is on its way to you.

Here's a good post for additional items when the pulley is off....

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...main-seal.html
Old 07-13-2012, 03:26 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Thanks for pointing out those additional items. More seals to order and replace.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No special tools...

We used the air impact driver--comes right off.
Same with the cam sprocket nuts...

Regards,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you remove the crankshaft pulley?