968 Forum 1992-1995

Door tweeter - no longer Nokia

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 01:22 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Door tweeter - no longer Nokia

While doing my door handle gaskets and removing the door card a few weeks back, I managed to rip one of the connectors out of the original Nokia door speaker.
I looked around for something that would mount the same way as the original. There are none. And since the speaker is built into the housing...well..

So I ordered a new one. To my surprise, it wasn't a Nokia. They're now made in Hungary. Being in the audio industry myself, I'm pretty well versed in speaker manufacturers, but I don't recognize that logo. Google hasn't been much help.

I'd like to find some specs on it, and who made it.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:29 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

They did that a lot, especially with audio equipment. The CD2 in-dash CD player units all look the same from the front. But the earlier units are made by Blaupunkt (I think), through June of 1993, and the later units made by Nokia, introduced in February of 1994. What is really neat is that not a single 968 (coupe or cab) produced between 6/93 and 2/94 has an in-dash CD player. They must have been unavailable until the Nokia units showed up and I would imagine that factory would have kicked back the option request during that period.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:31 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by jeff968
They did that a lot, especially with audio equipment. The CD2 in-dash CD player units all look the same from the front. But the earlier units are made by Blaupunkt (I think), through June of 1993, and the later units made by Nokia, introduced in February of 1994. What is really neat is that not a single 968 (coupe or cab) produced between 6/93 and 2/94 has an in-dash CD player. They must have been unavailable until the Nokia units showed up and I would imagine that factory would have kicked back the option request during that period.
YEa, I've got the rear cubby-mounted CD changer in mine. Just removed it a couple days ago, as it was non-working.

I found the info on the speaker. Harmon Becker Automotive Systems. A division of Harmon Kardon, it looks like.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:55 PM
Nathan J.
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am wondering if "HBAS" stands for Harman Becker Automotive Systems, as they have manufacturing facilities in Hungary, and are a suppler to Porsche

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harman...motive_Systems
Old 06-07-2019, 04:58 PM
Nathan J.
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How hard is it to access these tweeters? Do you have to remove the door card to get at them, or can you remove directly? I have long suspected that one or both of them are out on my car, and maybe this is the time to look into this problem.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:43 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nathan J.
How hard is it to access these tweeters? Do you have to remove the door card to get at them, or can you remove directly? I have long suspected that one or both of them are out on my car, and maybe this is the time to look into this problem.
Must remove door card. Using interior body panel pullers like these, it's not too difficult.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LUPOU1O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LUPOU1O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There is one near the bottom front of the door, however, that is further in from the edge than the others... fairly deep, actually. If you press in with your thumb and feel around, you'll feel the lump where is it.
The tweeter is made of two halves... front, which is visible, and a rear part which screws onto the front, holding it to the card.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:08 AM
Speedvagen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pretty sure that is the generic Porsche OEM parts symbol. I have a Porsche hat with that logo in front.
Here is a thread where others ask what the logo is and you can see it in other Porsche OEM parts.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...he-symbol.html
Old 06-08-2019, 11:34 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Yep, that is a relic Porsche emblem.

Have the same hat - got i on my tour of the Experience Center here in ATL.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:21 AM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
Nokia was speaker systems. In dash units were either Blaupunkt or Alpine. On option 494, the amplifiers are definitely Alpine.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:25 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by DSMblue
Nokia was speaker systems. In dash units were either Blaupunkt or Alpine. On option 494, the amplifiers are definitely Alpine.
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, the early CD2 is option code 691 so that would be the Blaupunkt.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:05 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan J.
You can just remove the window switch plate on the door panel to get to the tweeter. I just reached my hand around the back and unscrewed the collar that holds it to the panel, tweeter falls out, unplug it and you're done.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:05 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by potent951turbo
You can just remove the window switch plate on the door panel to get to the tweeter. I just reached my hand around the back and unscrewed the collar that holds it to the panel, tweeter falls out, unplug it and you're done.
I don't remember seeing any way to do that from the outside...
Old 06-11-2019, 07:37 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Wolfe your thread reminded me that the tweeters in the white car are so so and that we generally fade most of the music to the rears because they dont work so well and crack occasionally. I had a couple old tweeters and I have cut the tweeter from the body/enclosure and have ordered a Peerless tweeter from Parts Express (they sell a lot of speaker components) I hope to plastic weld them in the factory mounts. Here is a pic so far and I will send one of the final product when the plastic epoxy comes in. The Peerless tweeter is like $20 and if I can epoxy in the factory mounting I will be happy. Will update.

Factory mounting body/parts

Peerless tweeter that was ordered
Old 06-11-2019, 12:36 PM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

John -

Devcon plastic weld epoxy - available at the big stores (HD/Lowes) and places like Ace Hardware. Two part epoxy that has 3500psi strength. Good stuff! Will certainly keep your tweeter secure in the OEM housing!!
Old 06-11-2019, 03:34 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by jsheiry
Wolfe your thread reminded me that the tweeters in the white car are so so and that we generally fade most of the music to the rears because they dont work so well and crack occasionally. I had a couple old tweeters and I have cut the tweeter from the body/enclosure and have ordered a Peerless tweeter from Parts Express (they sell a lot of speaker components) I hope to plastic weld them in the factory mounts. Here is a pic so far and I will send one of the final product when the plastic epoxy comes in. The Peerless tweeter is like $20 and if I can epoxy in the factory mounting I will be happy. Will update.

Factory mounting body/parts

Peerless tweeter that was ordered
At some point, I plan on attempting to do the same with my dead tweeter. I have a pair of Focal tweeters that came with the bass speakers I put in the door brackets .

How did you do this "surgery?"

Quick Reply: Door tweeter - no longer Nokia