Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Is the steering rack lock-to-lock adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 08:30 PM
Isaacsracing
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Is the steering rack lock-to-lock adjustable?

Hi experts,
In my 92 968 track car, I am running 275/40R17 all around as the prior owner did. Next set of tires might be 255s instead, but for now I have another 3-4 days this season on these. I had noticed that in the front both ties rub a little when the tire is turned all the way. When turning to the left, there is a rub mark created in the left wheel well, but it's just against plastic. When fully turned to the right, a rub is formed in the right side. This is more concerning because the tire is hitting a fuel line. I used some green paint to see if the marks I was seeing were old or fresh. They are fresh as shown in the first photo. My short term solution is to protect the lines with a piece of aluminum, shown in the second photo. I'd love to hear other ideas about how best to address this issue.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:35 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

John - a common problem that all of us with oversize front tires have to deal with. The rack is not equipped with any type of adjustable stop mechanism. The only way that the rack movement could be restricted would be to dismantle it and attempt to make some sort of modification to its design (not advisable).

Cliff
Old 08-02-2019, 06:55 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They make kits for BMW's to prevent this exact issue. There must be a Porsche version or I'd imagine you could either make your own or maybe even modify a BMW version. Example:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...op-kit/?pdk=Ag
Old 08-02-2019, 07:53 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

The 83 manual steering racks have those stops on them from the factory. Supposedly to stop you from turning the wheel too far either left or right. I'm not sure how you'd go about fitting the manual stops onto the power rack but something to look into if that's the route you wanna take. Part number 477.419.827.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:54 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

John - after Colin messaged me about the BMW kits that were available, I did a little searching and found a kit for a 911. Don’t know if it could be adapted to the 968 but seeing that the P racks of this era are probably all ZF produced, it or the part number that royal has suggested may be a possibility or the BMW kit may work. I need to look into this for my track car also. Thanks for bringing up the subject. In all of the years that I’ve followed this forum, this is the first time that I can remember seeing this subject. Good stuff to learn.

Cliff
Old 08-04-2019, 07:50 AM
Isaacsracing
Racer

We can always learn something! I looked at finding the stops too, but didn't find an obvious fit. I agree that there likely is a fit our there. I don't think I have a second rack out of the car to mess with, but I imagine you do Cliff.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:17 AM
Isaacsracing
Racer

Did a teach day this weekend and that plate I installed to protect the love seemed to work fine. The tire shows nothing on its edge from any potential rubbing. All is good. Stops will be a good idea this winter though