Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

On the hunt again...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 10:12 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Interested to see if it sells because I'm going to be listing mine as well soon.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:23 PM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

They call that a beige interior and then in the lower descriptions they seem to get it right and call it light grey. Looks very similar to my car, so I hope it sells for near that price.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:09 PM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Spill the details Jerry...!
Old 04-15-2020, 03:27 PM
Boeing 717

It's red and tan, doubt you'd be interested. It is probably in the top 10% of cars in the country as far as condition though.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9r5m3kqx1...h-3GEFZBa?dl=0
Old 04-15-2020, 03:32 PM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

That, Jerry, is a gorgeous 968!!! Top 10%? I'd probably put you in the top 5% if not higher!
Old 04-15-2020, 04:26 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyeman
They call that a beige interior and then in the lower descriptions they seem to get it right and call it light grey. Looks very similar to my car, so I hope it sells for near that price.
The interior is actually light grey/black. 1 of 117 coupes in Amazon green, 1 of 6 when you factor in that interior. The recessed hood badge is there but it has lost its rare edged rear emblem. Early car, October 1991 production.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:11 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
It's red and tan, doubt you'd be interested. It is probably in the top 10% of cars in the country as far as condition though.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9r5m3kqx1...h-3GEFZBa?dl=0
Wow....that interior is CLEAN as is the whole car.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:57 PM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Yep, Boeing's car seems more like top 1% condition to me, easily. Now if he'll just get the Boeing Airline stock to come back, luckily I dollar cost averaged down, but still.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:10 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by Eyeman
Yep, Boeing's car seems more like top 1% condition to me, easily. Now if he'll just get the Boeing Airline stock to come back, luckily I dollar cost averaged down, but still.
Hmmm 1%? I doubt that. It has a few flaws but it's pretty dang nice.
Thanks for the compliments guys
Old 06-16-2020, 02:58 PM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

Wanted to bump this - still on the hunt for another coupe. Would like a unique color, tip or 6sp. No black, red, silver, white, amazon or aventurine. Top choices are (in no particular order) amethyst, violet blue, amaranth, raspberry, mint green, speed yellow, coral red, rubystone, cobalt, Wimbledon, lagoon green, turquoise, Riviera, marine, Tahoe, slate grey.

PM if you have something you're interested in selling!
Old 06-26-2020, 02:54 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim C
Well, this will probably ultimately cause my divorce, but I'm on the hunt for another 968!

Looking for a unique exterior color 968 coupe. Guards red, black, white and silver need not apply. Even though I know those exterior colors are known to have gotten the highest output engines from the factory,
???
Not true, unless you're talking about the 14 or so special Euro cars that came with Turbo's,
cost a King's ransom, and possibly saw more of the 968's high production colors.
^^(check with Jeff)

And for those owners with Aventurine and Amazon, sorry - not interested in those exterior colors. Besides - those colors got the lowest output engines!!!
i'm not in on the joke. Otherwise, not sure where you might have appropriated
this woefully inaccurate information.

Well, this will probably ultimately cause my divorce,
but I'm on the hunt for another 968!
Yes: a fool's errand--for sure: especially when converting to turbo,
watching dozens of men's lives going up in flames over the years---
quietly admitting they should have just gone V8 (instead).

Perfectly fine with a 6spd or a Tip. I thought I would never say that! But as I get older, I more and more appreciate not having to shift.
You mentioned something about low output: you'll likely perceive the "less output," you fear
with the Tiptronic, as you'll often be driving outside of the Variocam's optimal power band.....
There may also be a 'transmission out' variocam service in your future.

Getting old sucks!
Here's a hot take: Unless you love wrenching/ replacing worn cams, pricey parts,
power steering lines, fouled bushings, plastic bits, etc,
Getting old with an aging 968 might be less than optimal.
​​

Most important criteria for me are as follows:
- sound mechanical condition - this will be a driver for me so I'd like to start with something ready to roll if possible
- if there are any mech issues, being upfront and truthful is of paramount importance to me - I'd like to avoid surprises - I'm not afraid to buy a car with known issues however
These cars are unique paradoxes: Fun to drive. Not exceedingly challenging to wrench. Doing your own work, or not; they're just very high on upkeep (beyond a typical 944). Keeping the timing & Variocam system up to date is already a challenge. Then there's the PS system leaking, and lots of other upkeep, down to small, cracking plastic and rubber bits. A car can get refreshed properly, be driven just a few thousand miles, and spend time sitting, and stuff is already getting around to being done over again.
​​​​There's a lot of great Porsche + aftermarket upgrades for these cars. ​​​i've derived much benefit from a couple of dismantled 968's, including holding onto a spare set of control arms that i sent out for rebuilding (a savings of ~$1,000).

overlooked updates/s to do/check often:
1. Fuel lines.
2. Rear control arm bushings
3. Sway bar bushings
4. Brake fluid changes.
5. Rear shocks.
5. motor mounts
6. coolant hoses
7. PS hoses

- would prefer a car with the original wheels - that's a strange one, but I'm quirky like that
Find some 18" wheels you can live with. 16 or 17 inch rims have limited tire options.
Especially for shopping for great closeout deals at Tire Rack.

If anyone has any leads or is interested in striking up a conversation, shoot me PM!
Doug 968 has a (relatively low-mile) car for sale. It has so many accompanying/ spare/ aftermarket parts,
it's going to be the best deal out there for years. Yeah, sorry: it's Amazon Green.
Good luck!

Last edited by odurandina; 06-26-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:03 PM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

All good. I'm content with how the 968/944 is... I've had 944s and 968s for the better part of the last 25-26 or so years. Just looking to another unique one!

And yeah, the power output thing was a joke. Internet sarcasm is tough to deliver!

The hunt continues!
Old 10-01-2020, 11:25 AM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

This was linked in the CS thread, didn't want you to miss it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Porsche-968/274515564424
Old 10-01-2020, 11:39 AM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

Thanks Eyeman. Saw the listing. Not to discourage bidding or pursuit of the car, but there is a lot of deferred maintenance. Has had paintwork on more than one body panel and requires more. I spoke to the previous owner right after he sold it to the dealer who has it now. I'm also aware of the approximate mark-up they are placing on the car based on what the previous PO sold it to them for... They also have the original Cup wheels and desire to sell the car "as-is" without the correct wheels.

While it is a rare car in color, the mileage, the deferred maintenance, not including the original wheels, missing original stereo, undercarriage evidence of leaks, and all the little things here and there needed to make it a very good car will cost a lot of money.

That all said, it certainly could be a great car with the proper care. Interior appears decent, dash is apparently not cracked which is a huge plus nowadays in the era of NLA interior bits and pieces.
The following users liked this post:
Ufnavy06 (10-01-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 10:43 AM
dbonds
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Midnight blue metallic tiptronic on ebay - higher mileage with some mods and an interior that needs a bit of work :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Porsche-968/324314207399

Quick Reply: On the hunt again...