Old 03-21-2022, 09:54 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up a 968 - bit of a project

Hi all,

I picked up a '92 968 over the weekend. It was a dedicated DE car for a while, but has been sitting for about the last 6 years. End goal here is trackable street car with no cage and a real interior.
It does run great and I have some records, however none of them are related to belts or cam chain/tensioner so those are job #1, along with a few other maintenance items.

Second - we need some body work, there's a few spots where there was some mediocre bondo work on the passenger quarter and I'd sure like the entire thing to match.

The A/C compressor, condenser, and hard lines were removed but it looks like the rest of the system is in place. So that will be a fun job.

Quick question on the lower side molding panel. It is in what looks like good shape, but has a bit of a bend. It looks straight enough if I push it back in place, the plastic clip/nub is there (one is broken), but seems like maybe the grommet/insert isn't grabbing it. Those seem easy enough to swap, question is if the side molding will sit flat if I replace those or should I look for a different side molding piece?

The quarter windows were replaced with lexan with vents. If I find a decent set of windows, do I need to glue these back in with something like 3M Windo-weld? Any seal that is damaged when they are removed?

How common was Oak Green Metallic on the 968? I'm almost considering a slight change...

Old 03-21-2022, 10:03 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Congratulations!

When I got my 968 both side rocker pannels were messed up. I was told that the PO must have run over something at speed.
Half the clips were broken. Many mounting brackets had been ripped out. Assuming everything underneath is straight and true, I would just remove the rocker panels and leave them in the sun for a few days.
That help straighten mine out, not perfectly, but 10X better.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 03-22-2022, 09:39 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the club neighbor.

Per Sir Jeff's outstanding 968 info page, there were 20 Oak Green Metallic coupes brought to North America.

https://968register.org/production-data/coupes/

Curious if yours has the recessed hood badge...
Old 03-22-2022, 12:22 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 119 Posts

Congrats on the purchase.

As for the side windows, yes, the window weld into place. The big thing to keep in mind is that the rubber gasket surround is part of the window and one has to be careful when removing the window not to damage it. So when shopping for used replacements watch out. One side is available new.

I have a write-up on the cladding gasket replacement. Doesn't really cover straightening but you may find it helpful. Send me your email address and i will send it to you.

Jeff
Old 03-22-2022, 04:23 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
Welcome to the club neighbor.

Per Sir Jeff's outstanding 968 info page, there were 20 Oak Green Metallic coupes brought to North America.

https://968register.org/production-data/coupes/

Curious if yours has the recessed hood badge...
Thank you for sending this link - haven't seen it before.
No recessed badge.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:03 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 189 Likes on 145 Posts

With your goal of returning to street (full interior), you will need to source a new (used) hatch. Make sure that the wiring for the third brake light that was part of the hatch wiper motor is still present and accounted for. If it's not, it will be essentially impossible to ever get an operational third brake light. Oak green is a great color, and with only the PU parts painted silver, it shouldn't be difficult to remove all of those and have them painted off the car. For the a/c compressor, source that from FCP Euro, you get lifetime warranty. If you need the instructions on conversion to 134a, I have those and can send to you. Congrats on the purchase, looking forward to seeing the transformation.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:53 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DSMblue
With your goal of returning to street (full interior), you will need to source a new (used) hatch. Make sure that the wiring for the third brake light that was part of the hatch wiper motor is still present and accounted for. If it's not, it will be essentially impossible to ever get an operational third brake light. Oak green is a great color, and with only the PU parts painted silver, it shouldn't be difficult to remove all of those and have them painted off the car. For the a/c compressor, source that from FCP Euro, you get lifetime warranty. If you need the instructions on conversion to 134a, I have those and can send to you. Congrats on the purchase, looking forward to seeing the transformation.
Thanks for the reply! Thankfully it looks like all the wiring is intact, though it is missing the lower hatch trim piece with the brake light. I'm sure that won't be easy to find, but will figure it out.
The problem with the paint is that it needs other work as well so the entire thing will need to see a new coat. I wish it were that easy though!

Thanks for the FCP tip - I am familiar with Griffiths, but the FCP euro Denso option will sure save a few $$!
Old 03-23-2022, 03:47 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ilikemy944
Thanks for the reply! Thankfully it looks like all the wiring is intact, though it is missing the lower hatch trim piece with the brake light. I'm sure that won't be easy to find, but will figure it out.
The problem with the paint is that it needs other work as well so the entire thing will need to see a new coat. I wish it were that easy though!

Thanks for the FCP tip - I am familiar with Griffiths, but the FCP euro Denso option will sure save a few $$!
With the hatch being lexan, I suspect that prior owner cut the wiring that would have gone to the hatch wiper. So, when you source a hatch, make sure it has the third brake light, wiring, and hatch wiper. The wiring for the third brake light goes through the glass from the wiper to the third brake light assembly and has some sort of rtv-like material to prevent water intrusion into the interior of the hatch area. On mine, some dumb PO cut the wiring as well as the tabs for the wiper motor and cargo cover. They kept the parts, but the only way to fix is to remove the glass from the hatch, weld the tabs back on, run the wiring through and reseal the hatch. A big job that requires knowledge better left to professionals!
Old 03-23-2022, 05:00 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. What other mods (suspension, engine, brakes, etc.) does the car have to make it more track-worthy? It looks like it has some large calipers, at least on the front.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:03 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DSMblue
With the hatch being lexan, I suspect that prior owner cut the wiring that would have gone to the hatch wiper. So, when you source a hatch, make sure it has the third brake light, wiring, and hatch wiper. The wiring for the third brake light goes through the glass from the wiper to the third brake light assembly and has some sort of rtv-like material to prevent water intrusion into the interior of the hatch area. On mine, some dumb PO cut the wiring as well as the tabs for the wiper motor and cargo cover. They kept the parts, but the only way to fix is to remove the glass from the hatch, weld the tabs back on, run the wiring through and reseal the hatch. A big job that requires knowledge better left to professionals!
Ah - the quarter windows are lexan, for which I have already purchased some glass replacements.
However, the hatch is the original factory glass. Why it has bolts through the trim panel, I have no idea. However all of the wiring, mounting tabs, etc are all still there. It is just missing the lower trim with the brake light.

Thankfully I think the hardest part will be finding that lower trim.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:11 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
Congrats on the purchase. What other mods (suspension, engine, brakes, etc.) does the car have to make it more track-worthy? It looks like it has some large calipers, at least on the front.
I haven't dug into the full details yet, but it has a coilover setup front and rear, the correct M030 sway bars, the big red calipers (on adapters), LSD, what looks like Fabcar a-arms. I haven't looked to closely at the rear calipers so I am not 100% sure if they are the original fronts or rears.
It looks like most of the bushings are still the original rubber so I will be going through all of those as well. The engine is stock minus a few holes in the airbox and an exhaust.

I have an 89 944 project taking up space in my garage along with my 944Spec car and another fun car (Alfa 4C) so I need to clear some room so I can get this thing in the garage and start digging in. So far it is just sitting in the driveway.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:08 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Post the last 3 of the VIN and I'll tell you if that LSD was from the factory.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:28 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff968
Post the last 3 of the VIN and I'll tell you if that LSD was from the factory.
Sounds good - the last 3 are 467

Thanks!
Brad
Old 03-24-2022, 04:08 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Sounds good - the last 3 are 467

Thanks!
Brad
No LSD from the factory (would have been the ZF unit since the car is a 92)

Factory options: metallic paint (oak green), partial leather (cashmere), hi-fi sound with 10 speakers and amps.

1 of 20 North American coupes in oak green, factor in the interior, 1 of 17. #407 of 2,234 total NA coupes.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:15 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Ah - the quarter windows are lexan, for which I have already purchased some glass replacements.
However, the hatch is the original factory glass. Why it has bolts through the trim panel, I have no idea. However all of the wiring, mounting tabs, etc are all still there. It is just missing the lower trim with the brake light.

Thankfully I think the hardest part will be finding that lower trim.
That shouldn't be too bad to do. Hit me up via PM if you have any questions on hockey stick trim pieces for the hatch. You are definitely in better shape from the hatch perspective and third brake light than I am.

Quick Reply: Picked up a 968 - bit of a project