968 Forum 1992-1995

Help with Airbag codes from Duarmetric

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 01:44 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Help with Airbag codes from Duarmetric

(dangit - can't change the subject with the incorrectly spelled Durametric)

I have a Durametric and cannot reset my Airbag light/codes (there are no engine codes, but there are a few alarm codes). Any advice on where to start with these codes? I have purchased a clockspring hoping that pill 21 is that problem (and since it appeared to have a little oddness when I had it out and was testing the resistance).

Last edited by mferris; 02-05-2023 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:07 PM
Breakaway944
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

The easy way is too remove the light bulb from the cluster
I am trying to remember how I dealt with mine, have a '91 but believe same as 968s. I disabled my airbags for several reasons: One, they are of the original NA spec airbags which killed, not saved, people (you can thank these for mandatory seatbelt laws to keep you from touching the airbag). Two, they are past their lifespan. I will check my notes to see if I mention how to reset light.
The following users liked this post:
Jay Wellwood (02-19-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 08:17 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Well, between removing and replacing the clockspring then attempting to clear both the alarm and the airbag codes multiple times - the light went off!

I really wish I knew definitely what I did to repair it. But I’ll take what I can get. I used the original clockspring instead of the replacement.

Excited at least that I no longer have the big red “!”. The car immediately drove better!

Interestingly I did discover that when you unplug the yellow adapter - that there is a copper set of tabs that shorts the circuit within the adapter and I presume this was what was tripping me up as it may not have been fully plugged in to open the circuit. Oh well - it works now.

The following users liked this post:
Jay Wellwood (02-19-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 01:13 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I need to do this as well. First to buy a tool and find a laptop 🤔
Old 04-03-2023, 07:11 AM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Aaaaarrrrggghhh - after a month and a half if blissful driving - the airbag warning light came on again with the same codes as before. I don’t seem to be able to clear it with my Durametric again. I guess I need to remove the steering wheel and try again. I wonder if the error codes for the alarm (which never cleared) are a problem with the airbag as well.

so frustrating

Old 04-30-2023, 10:08 PM
Dave O
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm horning in here on your thread. I'm about to replace the odometer gears on my '92 cab and will be removing the airbag & steering. What size Torx bit do I need to remove the 2 screws holding the airbag in place?
There's a very good tutorial here on Reenlist which says a Torx T6 while the maintenance manual says they are T30. So I'm stalled.
​​Thanks for any info you provide.
Dave

Quick Reply: Help with Airbag codes from Duarmetric