EX Light came ON last night

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 04:31 PM
nedkelly
Intermediate

Location: Expat Scouser living in Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EX Light came ON last night

Driving home from a long night shift at around 6 a.m and whilst the roads were clear thought I'd open the 968 up to clean out the pipes so to speak. Cruising along nicely at around 200 and suddenly the 'EX' light flashed on. It flashed ON twice and I backed off and that was that. 160 for the next 10 km's or so and nothing happened. So, first question is what is the light controlling? Is EX for EXHAUST and if so am I looking at a dodgy Oxygen sensor or similar? Is it something to do with a CAT in the exhaust?
Must have happened to somebody else I'm sure and if so what was the prognosis?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:46 AM
nedkelly
Intermediate

Location: Expat Scouser living in Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With some help from 968.net I have checked the wiring diagram and the 'EX' light is fed from a catalytic converter monitor. This also has a cat temp sensor attached to it (mine is Japanese model). The thought is that at 200 KMH (when the light comes ON) maybe the mixture is wrong causing the cat to get hot. If I removed the CAT altogether would I have to short out the sensor to stop the light coming ON? My handbook is in Japanese so I don't know what the EX light explanation is. Does anybody out there have this light and if so what does their handbook say about it?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2004, 09:35 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Ned, I would think a proper diagnosis by a dealer would be your best bet. At that point you can decide if you need a new cat or not. Otherwise you might just end up spending money on parts that might not fix your problem.
Regards.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:55 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

By "proper", are you referring to a scan with the Bosch Hammer? Its unlike you to refer people to the dealership.

BTW, how about a "driving report" since you've had your car together for a little while now.

Regards,
Old 06-03-2004, 02:56 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Scott, believe it or not I am still stumped on the fuel issue. Its an electrical issue that I no longer want to troubleshoot so I shipped to a pro.
Sometimes its better that way. Let headache, lol.
I will give you a report as soon as they get it running. Could be a another month. I am getting some custom chips burnt right after it gets started mapped to my exact setup.
Raj

Quick Reply: EX Light came ON last night