Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Need help w/ car value/market for 968's - etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 06:58 PM
gtolou
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need help w/ car value/market for 968's - etc.

Considering selling my 94 968. Great car. Original guards red. Fr seats recovered w leather. Stainless rsbarn headers/stage I cam/chip. Few miles since that upgrade and new chain, tensioners at that time.

Runs great. 119K miles or so. Only real blemishes are professionally repaired hail damage on original paint - but in certain light, can see a few on fr fenders (thnx upstate, Protech - Greenville, SC). Also - drove the car last year to Cashiers NC (where it is stored) and noticed odometer had stopped working. Very few miles since that happened.

What is market for these cars like right now? What's a fair price for this??
The following users liked this post:
Leonard McCray (02-09-2024)
Old 08-14-2023, 07:00 PM
gtolou
Advanced

Few more pics..

Old 08-14-2023, 07:01 PM
gtolou
Advanced

And of course it is filthy in these pics. Stored in my garage up there last year. On a battery tender. Just started in yesterday.
Old 08-15-2023, 03:04 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

Fix the odometer! Broken OD is a signal that things my not be right.
What else does it need? If it has a new clutch, new head gasket, brakes are great, newish tires;
I would guess somewhere in the $20's....

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 08-15-2023, 08:11 AM
gtolou
Advanced

Originally Posted by Yogii
Fix the odometer! Broken OD is a signal that things my not be right.
What else does it need? If it has a new clutch, new head gasket, brakes are great, newish tires;
I would guess somewhere in the $20's....

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Thanks Yogii - yeah, I need to pull the gauges and send them in for repair. The clock may not work..lol. But no, nothing else to report. It's a good runner.

I've got a handful of old muscle cars, etc. Maybe just too many, hard to take care of. This is my only Porsche.
Old 08-15-2023, 08:45 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 267 Posts

It seems that in the Porsche world, value is generally diminished some with each non original component. Aftermarket parts like strut mounts and brace, exhaust headers, ignition wires, poorly fit, non matching upholstery, even oil filters have a cumulative negative impact. A vehicle with an inoperative odometer is a true mileage unknown vehicle.
Old 08-15-2023, 09:26 AM
gtolou
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gage
It seems that in the Porsche world, value is generally diminished some with each non original component. Aftermarket parts like strut mounts and brace, exhaust headers, ignition wires, poorly fit, non matching upholstery, even oil filters have a cumulative negative impact. A vehicle with an inoperative odometer is a true mileage unknown vehicle.

Thanks for comments!
Old 08-15-2023, 12:55 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks and sounds like a good drivers car, not a garage queen. With that being said, I'd say somewhere around $14K. Maybe a little more if you cleaned it up and replaced some aftermarket stuff with stock. Although you want to sell it soon as prices are coming down especially with it going into fall and winter.
Old 08-15-2023, 12:58 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

check out the post with the cars offered for sale. Yes, it is asking price, but you will get an idea. If I didnt just buy a 93 tip with 72k I would ask for more info on yours.
https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...968-finds.html
Old 08-15-2023, 01:43 PM
gtolou
Advanced

Originally Posted by royalschwarz
Looks and sounds like a good drivers car, not a garage queen. With that being said, I'd say somewhere around $14K. Maybe a little more if you cleaned it up and replaced some aftermarket stuff with stock. Although you want to sell it soon as prices are coming down especially with it going into fall and winter.
Really good posts from all - I appreciate it. I don't "need" to sell. I guess I'm just trying to decide long term if these cars are good investments. Not sure if they have really appreciated much over the last** ten years..

Will then next ten be better???
Old 08-15-2023, 07:44 PM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

968s are often listed as one of the better current buy it to go up in value options. I'd stick a $25k price on your car and make it available. Gradually fix up the few flaws and if still not sold list it on one of the auction sites....or just keep it if you have space.
Old 08-15-2023, 08:22 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

I keep waiting for the rest of the Porsche community (and others) to recognize the 968 for its exclusivity. With the US/CDN production (4,665) just slightly less than double the 928GTS (2,887) for the same production years, it would seem reasonable that the exclusivity would be valued. I've noted that the 928GTSs are commanding north of $50K with some pristine low mileage models over $100K. Of course, there is a very active 928 Community helping fuel the interest of those cars.

That said, as the age-old adage goes - there's a buyer for every price. May we all be fortunate to experience a rising tide in the prices that our cars command.
Old 08-16-2023, 01:19 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by gtolou
Really good posts from all - I appreciate it. I don't "need" to sell. I guess I'm just trying to decide long term if these cars are good investments. Not sure if they have really appreciated much over the last** ten years..

Will then next ten be better???
The 968's that will appreciate the most are the ones with low mileage and jelly bean colors.
My '94 is currently at 98,700 miles. When it hits 100, I figure I just lost 10 grand.
For an investment, buy a garage queen....

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
The following users liked this post:
regajohn (02-09-2024)
Old 08-16-2023, 01:55 AM
dlearl476
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

If Bring a Trailer is any indication, prices are rising on some 968s over the last couple of years. The ones that were going for $20-$35 in 2018 are going for $40-$60 today, but the bulk of them are still going for ~$25K.

My rear end is still smarting from selling my SC in 15 minutes in 2014 about 6 months before they were regularly going for 1.5-2 times what I got for mine. I put my Cab up for top dollar, I’ve done $10K of maintenance on mine in the last 5 years and I’ll just keep driving until it sells, if it ever does. I’m thinking this may be close to the last year you can buy a 9/10th 968 with less that 100K for under $35K.

@gtolou If I were you, I’d detail my car and I’d just keep it if I couldn’t get $30K out of it, provided everything is up to snuff.

Last edited by dlearl476; 08-17-2023 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 01:55 AM
Leonard McCray
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
I keep waiting for the rest of the Porsche community (and others) to recognize the 968 for its exclusivity. With the US/CDN production (4,665) just slightly less than double the 928GTS (2,887) for the same production years, it would seem reasonable that the exclusivity would be valued. I've noted that the 928GTSs are commanding north of $50K with some pristine low mileage models over $100K. Of course, there is a very active 928 Community helping fuel the interest of those cars.

That said, as the age-old adage goes - there's a buyer for every price. May we all be fortunate to experience a rising tide in the prices that our cars command.
Hi Jay, I see the Submarine Warfare pin and I'm guessing that you are a fellow Submariner. I served on 6 Pacific Fleet (Subpac - Hawaii) boats between the years of 1978 to 1995. How about you?
I was viewing this thread because I have a 1992 968 coupe Tiptronic and I'm not sure what the value is. I getting up in years and have no one in the family who is interested in classic cars to pass on to. If you have inputs I would love to hear your opinion.
Thanks Shipmate,
EMCS (SS) L. McCray USN Ret

Quick Reply: Need help w/ car value/market for 968's - etc.