Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

odometer repair/gauge restoration service??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 06:33 PM
gtolou
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default odometer repair/gauge restoration service??

Yogii shamed me into pulling my gauge pod as my odometer recently stopped working...I think I remember there is a top shelf outfit that I can mail this to and they will go through the rest of it and check bulbs/replace and make it like new??

It "is" otherwise in very good shape.
Maybe the shop was in Cali???
Old 08-19-2023, 10:09 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Hollywood Speedometer In Palo Alto
Old 08-20-2023, 01:59 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

This is who I used!
http://www.paspeedo.com

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 08-20-2023, 04:48 PM
dlearl476
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Palo Alto and No Hollywood are two peas in a pod. Nothing to distinguish one from the other. The only reason I’d choose one over the other is if one was too busy to do what I needed done right away.
Old 08-22-2023, 01:21 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Because Im on the East Coast I use Cory Shepherd at Specialty Gauge. He is reasonable, does the odometer all the way up to complete gauge pack restorations with light tunnel restorations if needed. http://www.specialtygauge.com/
I just spoke to Cory about the dash temp display as he has never had one of those in his shop. Im going to send him 3 of them in various states of disrepair and see if he can repair these. Have not found anyone stateside to do this, a few places in the UK seem to handle it.
The following 2 users liked this post by jsheiry:
kevinleary090 (03-19-2024), Ufnavy06 (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 07:35 PM
gtolou
Advanced

Finally used these guys:

https://atlantaspeedometer.com/Home/...0/Default.aspx

Gauges have been in for a month or more, just didn't post until I drove the car. Very happy w/ service. Very fast/great outcome.
The following users liked this post:
Ufnavy06 (10-24-2023)
Old 03-19-2024, 07:06 PM
kevinleary090
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsheiry
Because Im on the East Coast I use Cory Shepherd at Specialty Gauge. He is reasonable, does the odometer all the way up to complete gauge pack restorations with light tunnel restorations if needed. http://www.specialtygauge.com/
I just spoke to Cory about the dash temp display as he has never had one of those in his shop. Im going to send him 3 of them in various states of disrepair and see if he can repair these. Have not found anyone stateside to do this, a few places in the UK seem to handle it.
I know its a few months late, but I recently sent mine to Cory. I'm sincerely hoping he's an honesty and straightforward guy; I've read horrible reviews about him and now that I've already sent my stuff in and have yet to hear from him- I'm extremely worried that I'll get scammed or that he'll just run off with my parts, so far he hasn't made any effort to communicate, I had to call him to make sure my parts even arrived and he said he'd give me a call once he gets started and again its been days with no sign. I even made this account just now so that I might be able to get in contact with people that have used his services before. I wouldn't be worrying this much if there weren't so many people leaving awful reviews about him. If anyone has used his services please get back to me.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:22 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I have used Cory several times over the last 5-6 years. I have always been happy with his work. Its a little simpler for me because I have literally met him in a parking lot and handed him my stuff and then picked up several weeks later. I would say he is not the fastest guy and on has overshot his estimates of completion a couple times but I would still use him tomorrow if I needed this work done. In fact I have sent him several broken 968 temp gages, and temps sensors from the mirror and schematics in hopes of getting him up to speed on repairing these things. Good luck and I dont think you need to worry.

Last edited by jsheiry; 03-19-2024 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:35 PM
kevinleary090
3rd Gear

Oh ok great, that does put my mind at ease a little bit. Thank you for getting back to me so quickly, I didn't expect to get a response so fast, if at all honestly haha- but I'm very happy to have gotten an answer from someone who used his services within the last year or so. The more I tried to find information about specialty gauge, the more I began to worry lol. I really appreciate it though, thank you again for the peace of mind. I hope I'll hear from him soon. Just gonna try and worry about something else in the meantime.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:37 PM
gtolou
Advanced

Originally Posted by kevinleary090
I know its a few months late, but I recently sent mine to Cory. I'm sincerely hoping he's an honesty and straightforward guy; I've read horrible reviews about him and now that I've already sent my stuff in and have yet to hear from him- I'm extremely worried that I'll get scammed or that he'll just run off with my parts, so far he hasn't made any effort to communicate, I had to call him to make sure my parts even arrived and he said he'd give me a call once he gets started and again its been days with no sign. I even made this account just now so that I might be able to get in contact with people that have used his services before. I wouldn't be worrying this much if there weren't so many people leaving awful reviews about him. If anyone has used his services please get back to me.
The guy I linked in the ATL was great. Just sayin.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:57 PM
kevinleary090
3rd Gear

If I saw this thread beforehand I probably would have gone with him 100%. I found Cory through ebay and kind of jumped the gun because I was eager to have this fixed.. it was only after I already mailed it that I started worrying about his integrity when I started seeing old reviews. I really can't afford to go out and buy a replacement part if he scams me so I'm just hoping he'll be honest and straightforward with me. There's obviously more money to be made if he just fixes it and sends it back to me than if he were to steal it and pawn it or whatever, so logically there's no reason to be a scammer with these kinds of things, but you never know what goes through people's heads.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:03 PM
gtolou
Advanced

Originally Posted by kevinleary090
If I saw this thread beforehand I probably would have gone with him 100%. I found Cory through ebay and kind of jumped the gun because I was eager to have this fixed.. it was only after I already mailed it that I started worrying about his integrity when I started seeing old reviews. I really can't afford to go out and buy a replacement part if he scams me so I'm just hoping he'll be honest and straightforward with me. There's obviously more money to be made if he just fixes it and sends it back to me than if he were to steal it and pawn it or whatever, so logically there's no reason to be a scammer with these kinds of things, but you never know what goes through people's heads.
Good luck my friend - probably will be fine. I get being worried though!
Old 03-23-2024, 10:56 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

North Hollywood Speedometer. I’ve sent both my 968 and 993 gauges there as preventive maintenance. They call when the parts arrive and they call when the parts are done. Both times the gauges were done inside a week. You get what you pay for!
The following users liked this post:
dlearl476 (03-23-2024)

Quick Reply: odometer repair/gauge restoration service??