968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 02:39 PM
rmdsolutions
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 968 Exhaust

I just upgraded my 89 S2 and am now an owner of a 92 968 coupe slate gray metalic one owner dealer maintained w 75,000 miles . I am looking for help on an exaust for the 968 I had put a magnaflow on the S2 but it is a little loud but sounds great the problem is there is a lot more room on the S2 out the back than the 968 what have you guys done any suggestions or pics would be great I remember the stock exhaust on the S2 was very heavy and somewhat restrictive and I would imagine this is the same for the 968. By the way if anyone is looking for an extremely clean S2 let me know it is for sale sadly it is 89 silver exterior linen interior with factory sport seat just redone in factory leather and lsd I have owned the car for three years buoght it from the original owner w 203,000 miles it now has 216,000 and about $10,000 later I have all service records from the day the car was purchased I am in the car about $14,000 and I know I am just going to lose my *** on it I think I would get more money parting it but she is so sweet I would hate to do that. Thanks Charles
Old 03-14-2007, 02:58 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Charles,

You have a few options. If you are planning on keeping the car stockish, the B&B Tri-Flo is a good bolt on exhaust. I had this and loved the sound. Not very loud at all, but very throaty. The RSBarn (www.rsbarn.com) exhaust is also very good. It too sounds very throaty, a tad louder than my BB was on the car I heard. There are other less used alternatives, Cargraphic, etc... You can always go custom. The 968 exhaust is not hard to make at all.

Wes
Old 03-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm very happy with my Cargraphic setup. Although I have not had it dynoed, TuV German laws make the builder substantiate the performance. Depending on the state of the engine I was told 12-15 hp increase. To my knowledge only one other 968 is running this in the US (this from Cargraphic USA), and there have not been any unit by unit independent comparisons of high flow cats and exhaust systems.

One reason the SEMA people have fought so hard against TuV like laws is because of worrying about truth in advertizing and so forth. As a result the German tuning companies and those who sell in Germany tend to be much more expensive, as their products have to live up to their own claims.

It also works well with my Promax chip.

Oh, and when I sold my slate gray coupe it had 74K miles and it was a beaut.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Too bad you can't swap out the sport seats into the new car, as you know once you have them you will miss them terribly.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:22 PM
whakiewes
Pro

I agree that I have never had any bad TUV approved products. I didn't know about the performance though. US has similar regulations, I was reading about them the other day but very few people are willing to put up or shut up. I can tell you that with my exhaust, chip, and intake I felt a noticable gain. The downside (for some, not me) was that the power band was definantly shifted to above 4000rpms. I have never seen the Cargraphic. Have any pictures?

Wes
Old 03-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

No sound file, don't ask! 5 and 6 are the air filter and chip box, I don't have either.
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2007, 04:50 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

At the very least you will save weight with any of the above options. Damian is happy with his Cargraphic (and probably several Euros agree with him) , several of us are happy with our RSBarn exhaust, several others are happy with their B&B and several others are happy with custom made ones from their local muffler shops. I believe SFR may also have one available and possibly FabSpeed.

Last edited by SpeedBump; 03-14-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

As I recall, the Cargraphic weighed only 15lbs less than stock-measured by me holding the components on the bathroom scale. Other systems are lighter, but I don't know if that's good or bad.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You all are lucky when it comes to exhaust. Us Californians have to pass the uber smog test. Our cars have to clean the ozone and plant trees as we drive along the highway. Sillyness aside B&B is $725 with shipping, and RS is $699. Can anyone explain to me what the heck a "test pipe" is? Is it the pipe going from the cat to the muffler?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Test pipe is in place of the cat, highly illegal in most states. In NJ they fine you $1,000 per year since your last inspection, assuming you bolted it in the minute you drove away from the inspection station.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Ouch. If they caught me with a test pipe then, they would melt down the car to make bicycles, and feed me to the sealions. Does anyone know if RS barn's exhaust will pass California smog?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:06 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

I believe there are several Californians running the RSBarn exhaust, I assume it passes but I don't know that it is CARB certified or if that is necessary. Shoot RS an email or give him a call. Maryland just voted to join the ranks of states following the California smog laws. Both of my 968s had no problem easily passing the current Maryland tests with the RSBarn exhaust and chip.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:41 PM
flash968
Banned

yeah - don't feel bad mark - they are all going to do it soon

it is my understanding that exhaust is CARB free on OBDI cars as long as you have the same equipment as the original configuration (O2 sensor and CARB approved cat)

as for TUV, all i can find anywhere is that they test things for quality of workmanship, product safety, legal standards and such, but not for performance claims - it is very much like UL - think about it - there is no way to do that anyway, especially on something like an exhaust system - there are way too many variables that would result in wide ranging results - we frequently get 10hp differences in just this little group from car to car
Old 03-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

You'll have to look a little harder. Do you think that companies like Cargraphic, Ruf, Gemballa, etc are allowed to make hp claims that aren't backed up by fact? Tuning is taken very seriously over there. I suggest you do further research, perhaps contact the companies directly-there was some good information on a wheel thread about how just about no US companies sell wheels and other tuning equipment in Germany because of just those reasons-performance and durability gains that can't be proven.

Cargraphic has sold only two exhaust systems for 968's in the US because of the $$$-most 968 guys would be crazy to put such money into one of our cars-the Cargraphic stuff is quite popular with the 996 and 997 guys who are mod crazy-but with hardware like this you need to dig deep to buy in.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:17 PM
flash968
Banned

i have looked all over the TUV site - nothing about performance claims - only about safety and such

germany requires that products have the cert, but there is nothing i can find that says the cert has anything to do with performance claims

you are making claims as to the TUV specifics and how they relate to performance claims - please support them - i cannot find anything to support your assertions

i suspect it is exactly like any other agency of this type (UL, FDA, etc) they certifiy the product is safe and meets codes, laws, and such, but nothing about performance

Quick Reply: 968 Exhaust