Subpar quality on a suspension kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 05:59 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Subpar quality on a suspension kit

I won't name the vendor because I don't want to bash. I will only say it is not a rennlist sponsor.

A friend just bought koni yellows with front adjustable height and stiffer springs. The rears were just new in a box, no problem there. The fronts were reused 968 front strut housings with koni inserts, a poor paint job in yellow (flaked off very easily), a threaded collar and a custom spring perch, with no spanner included, meaning we'll have to use a spring compressor next time he wants to adjust his ride height - annoying. The spring rate of the new front springs is not specified anywhere. There are no instructions or other info papers in the kit. The strut housings were in rough shape, all the brackets and tabs were bent or crushed.

My biggest complaint with the kit was the lack of any instructions or information. We had no way of knowing how to set the new coilovers to stock ride height, so we had to install the parts with a random guess on the height, then we had to jack it again to correct the height.

If you want to buy a suspension upgrade, even "just" konis, please get it from a rennlist sponsor so you know you're getting good stuff. If you decide to take a chance on some other vendor, then be sure you get instructions, know exactly what parts they are sending you, make sure any necessary tools are included, and don't chip the probably crappy paint.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:29 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info and great advice. There's a reason why Rennlist sponsors keep getting our business...
Old 04-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bet it would've been done right by Paragon . . .
Old 04-11-2010, 07:49 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is not a sponsor then why not inform us of who to stay away from?

Otherwise, one of us may have to learn the hardway as did you.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
IIf you want to buy a suspension upgrade, even "just" konis, please get it from a rennlist sponsor so you know you're getting good stuff.
Unfortunately, being a Rennlist sponsor in itself isn't a guarantee of anything, really -- there are some very ordinary vendors who are also sponsors (in my experience anyway.)

Of course, there are also some excellent vendors, and would be excellent whether they are sponsors or not. For example, I never hesitate to mention Pelican, Paragon and Zims to people who ask me about whom I can recommend. There are also a few vendors I will try to steer people away from if asked. YMMV.

Last edited by Mark944na86; 04-19-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Unfortunately, being a Rennlist sponsor in itself is guarantee of anything, really -- there are some very ordinary vendors who are also sponsors (in my experience anyway.)

Of course, there are also some excellent vendors, and would be excellent whether they are sponsors or not. For example, I never hesitate to mention Pelican, Paragon and Zims to people who ask me about whom I can recommend. There are also a few vendors I will try to steer people away from if asked. YMMV.
agreed
Old 04-12-2010, 02:11 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPR
If it is not a sponsor then why not inform us of who to stay away from?

Otherwise, one of us may have to learn the hardway as did you.
Agreed
Old 04-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

I like to say 'buy on the vendor, not the product'. Same thing with buying or selling to other Listers-we've all experienced or witnessed exchanges with other people here than have gone bad.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:36 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The first post on this forum is a warning of zero tolerance, so I don't think I should name the vendor.

I'm just saying that if you're shopping for stuff, demand the best, or at the very least your money's worth. Also, please do shop around for the best prices. You don't need to be a college student like me to appreciate the benefit of saving hundreds of dollars by buying from one vendor over another, for the exact same stuff.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
The first post on this forum is a warning of zero tolerance, so I don't think I should name the vendor.

I'm just saying that if you're shopping for stuff, demand the best, or at the very least your money's worth. Also, please do shop around for the best prices. You don't need to be a college student like me to appreciate the benefit of saving hundreds of dollars by buying from one vendor over another, for the exact same stuff.
When making a purchase, large or small, it's good to reach out to other Rennlisters for advice-in this case, PM's work great.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:12 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also like to know who. What has this place become when you cant express your opinion abut your vendor experience. For instance, Speed Force Racing has good products, that all need fine tuning when you receive them but there is never a mention of that on the site or from Tim. And they take forever. I cringe when I have to order from them. See its not that bad.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:55 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Saying SFR has good products but they need tweaking is completely different than what I'm saying, which is that vendor X sells subpar products for 1.5x what others charge.

Last edited by FRporscheman; 04-18-2010 at 02:17 AM. Reason: language
Old 04-16-2010, 10:55 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Arash, there are always ways of mentioning a vendor without calling them out. You can give hints, or initials. I think as members of the community, we could all benefit from this information. I was also planning on going to a coilovers.
Regards.
Raj
Old 04-16-2010, 01:11 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, well, Huntley racing is total crap.......lol
Old 04-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

And remember those crooks at Windward in Vermont? (They're gone, so it's ok to bash them!)

Quick Reply: Subpar quality on a suspension kit