968 Forum 1992-1995

Stock chip/airbox vs RSBarn/modded airbox

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Stock chip/airbox vs RSBarn/modded airbox

So, I had the opportunity to drive my car with each setup about 1/2 hour apart and thought I'd give some comments on the seat of the pants perceived difference in performance, etc...

First, I went back to the stock chip/airbox because, since I purchased the car in Dec., it has had a low idle of about 700 rpm... Since I could not find any reason for the idle to be low, I thought that maybe it was the chip... So before I removed the RS Barn stage 1 chip/modded airbox setup I took the car out for a spirited drive, (with the express purpose of comparing performance from one setup to the other). I then went out with the stock setup.

I really thought I'd find no differences and, in fact, the idle didn't change...still 700, although a little smoother with the stock chip. I was surprised to find that the RS Barn set up had power come on about 300 rpm sooner and throttle response seemed quicker... With respect to overall power, it was difficult to feel a real difference, although the throttle response made it feel quicker. The one positive for the stock setup is that is quieter and that gives the impression that motor is smoother/more refined.

No data collection, just butt dyno... In case you wonder, I'm staying with stock setup because my wife likes it a little quieter...

My $0.02

-CKKrause
Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting info. I have a Promax Chip which I felt was more responsive that the Stock. But since having it I have had several odd incidents of the car almost stalling when slowing to a stop (it is a Tip). It is very in frequent, but if it occurs more often I will go back to the stock chip and see it this is related. The other Odd thing about the Promax Chip is the Indy Service Shop cannot get any readings on the test gear ??? Other that that the 968 Performs well with the chip and appears Gas mileage is the same.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:22 AM
968rz
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacks911
I have had several odd incidents of the car almost stalling when slowing to a stop (it is a Tip). It is very in frequent, but if it occurs more often I will go back to the stock chip and see it this is related. .
That's not the DME chip. Since I've had my car (4 years?) it has done that like twice a year with both the stock and RSB chip. As it happens so seldom I never really trouble shot it but to me it feels like the converter is not unlocking.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:29 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I would agree with the Tip / lockup perhaps being part of this - but I assume (not a tech) that the ECU controls most of what happens here - up/down shifts - so that the Chip change might have some effect? From what I have read about the Tip Controller - the lock up should be dependant on Shift Program and Throttle Position. The manual says this clutch should open when decelerating below 14 MPH in 2nd gear & even earlier if in 3rd. I have the same frequency you have so it is going to be impossible to diagnose. If it gets to be frequest the standard Chip needs to go back in and then we will see what happens.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:59 AM
968rz
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Tip has its own computer, the DME only sends engine info to it, I found this list that seems to be pretty accurate:
"The DME control module is connected with the Tiptronic control module. It transmits the following
information via a control line (CAN bus):
Rpm, torque, throttle position, engine temperature."

The Tip controller does the rest, I've searched but can't find a modded chip for it (not the Porsche one anyway).
Old 09-14-2010, 12:58 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

add the odurandina exhaust. good for about 20 hp.

Quick Reply: Stock chip/airbox vs RSBarn/modded airbox