Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995
View Poll Results: would you like to see the 993 and 997 style hybrid body panels (page 12, 13) copied ?
yes, would like to see lightweight copies sold by GT Racing or other vendor.
61.29%
sounds cool, but not interested in doing this type of update.
38.71%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

a few upgrades for the 968....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 03:40 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

vielen Dank dafür, dieses schreckliche Foto anzuschlagen !

haben Sie irgendwelches Info auf dem 968 Kombiwagen (welchen ich anschlug)?

thanks for posting this !!

by any chance, would you happen to have any more info on the 968 Turbo station wagon ?

if you listen closely you can hear the turbo engine. very nice exhaust note !!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:03 PM
BerndCF
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any information you want. We got a thread about that car in our German Porsche Transaxle forum (www.mytransaxle.de).

The engine is a replica of the 968 turbo S, it produces 355 DIN-HP and 500 Nm torque.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:16 PM
BerndCF
Advanced

Old 03-06-2012, 04:19 PM
BerndCF
Advanced

Old 03-06-2012, 05:07 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow that is not something you see every day! thanks for posting! ive always wondered what a DP 968 wagon would look like! now i have an idea!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:34 AM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BerndCF,

You have some great pictures. Keep them coming! Thanks.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:58 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

fantastic ! thanks for posting these !
Old 03-07-2012, 02:57 AM
BerndCF
Advanced

A picture with the trailer:

Bicycles mounted on the tow bar:

It got the name "Sportkombi" (Sport Station Wagon):

Old 03-20-2012, 03:55 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

gorgeous red on black alcantera 997GT2 **** for sale in the RL classifieds...

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...ml#post9376030

and easy install into our cars... https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...uld-to-it.html

photos;

top; shift **** for sale, bottom; **** installed in my car,

Originally Posted by jax

OD, I have a problem with this...

Originally Posted by odurandina
6. this one is optional but i like it: a nicer shift **** might be well, "nice."
The previous owner had an 86 944 turbo prior to this 968 and he was so impressed with the short shifter that was installed, he put one on this. I have not looked into it at all except that it is Momo and has no shift diagram on it so I have stalled twice when trying to go Reverse in 6th (hey Im still getting use to the 6 speed).

The biggest problem, and the one I hope to sort first is the rattling that comes from this shifter. It is horrid. In every gear it shakes and vibrates to all hell. I have seen it referenced in service records but obviously it has not been taken care of. Looks as though it has been driven like this for years. It is a pretty high frequency vibration like it is picking up something from the torque tube. Ill get a short video of it on my drive to work tomorrow and post it on here. Would love to hear that I dont need to pull the tranny (do we still call transaxles that) because I have to do that on my explorer next weekend (if I want Overdrive which maybe I dont!).

Jak

i'll get to the rattling in just a moment... first, i'm running a 997 **** that's got the correct G-box shift pattern... the only problem was figuring out a away to get the **** to attach to a non-997 compatable 944/968 shift lever....

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...ml#post7591716

when i explained how i got the shift lever on, i took endless crap from one of the 944 guys for actually using an oversized bump of duct tape over the shift lever and wrapping it very taut, and then with the help of soap, pushing down (with a lot of force) and creating a semi-permanent bond in this way... he claimed the shift **** would soon come loose... i explained to him that King Kong would have a hard time prying the lever loose anytime within the next 500 years, or something to that effect....

of course, it's now 2 years later, the soap has long since dried up, and you couldn't pry the shift **** loose if you tried.... the alternative would have been either using an epoxy (but how would you ever get the damn thing off) or drilling a hole in the shift **** and inserting a screw...

the reason i didn't bother with either of the latter two possibilities, was that if you check to see how the original setup works, you'll notice there are two shock absorbing rubber rings (now, obviously missing from your setup) that serve as inner liners to a rather soft leather shift ****... together they work in concert to dampen the vibrations and sound coming from the driveline.... but, not so with the 997 carbon ****... that thing is quite rigid and doesn't get any rubber rings when sitting on the 911 shift lever... i anticipated there would likely be a problem very similar to the one you are discribing... with that thought in mind, the duct tape was the coup de grâce.... if i had used an strong epoxy, i would have ended up with a resonance, same with inserting a screw... and if i had used silicone adhesive, it would have shredded real quick with the **** coming loose.

so, it's not unfair to say that my car is partially held together with duct tape.

Attached Images    

Last edited by odurandina; 03-20-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:38 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

it all started about a week and a half ago, on a joyous day in the annals of 968 lore....

Originally Posted by 9ines

WR Prices Set at Amelia Island Auction

• The 1980 Porsche 924 GTP (lot 48) at $385,000, a world auction record for a Porsche 924.

• The 1992 Porsche 968 Turbo RS (lot 60) at $346,500, a world auction record for a Porsche 968.

• The 1981 Porsche 944 GTP (lot 58) at $308,000, a world auction record for a Porsche 944.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.T1zZm1FdD-Y

Originally Posted by 968gene

Makes me think twice about my planned hot rod mods.

not me... 570 hp at the flywheel and completely normal driveability here we come.... and no nasty pickup truck exhaust note.... no choppy idle.... cuz why should 911T/GT2/GT3/Carrera GT owners have all the fun ?
Originally Posted by 968TurboS

Have you done it? Are you there yet? Have you heard or sat in a modded 968? Until you have done either, I would say.....
Originally Posted by 968gene

Raj, I have driven one with an LS3. Very impressive and almost mild mannered while moving through traffic, but with a wild side when you stepped into it. But I've never raced an MGB!

I am sure they are very impressive. Tom Egan is great guy and I am sure he did an amazing job on his car. But you never hear him gloating about it....

Raj,

if i had the money and raw wrenching skill, and the intelligence of timing it just right as you did... (as spare parts were becoming scarce) and i were ever to have become the beneficiary of anything even close to what you've got in your your garage.... i would do things likewise — and not drive it much.

i might also pick up another 968 that's not of a particularly colectable color.... and turbocharge it.... only, w/ this one. i might not fuss with it much (other than the typical odurandina hack-up-the-car stuff), but not anywhere near the endless mods that would bring it close to a factory Turbo S car...

with this one, i'd drive it every day...

the car that sold at auction the other day may represent the most money ever spent on a four cylinder car... there surely aren't many supercars running four cylinder engines, but that, surely is one... the Esprits, and the 944s and '68 turbos are the only ones i can think of that even come close....

with a swapped in V8 i get a car i can drive more... putt down the secondary roads, and interstate highways at 2,400 rpm. and have some serious power and torque on demand in reserve without the semi-exotic personality of a typical Porsche engine... i'm debating back and forth about having a bored and stroked LS3 done vs/ just a crate motor with a mild cam... on top of that, the parts list is quite extensive... for me, bordering on mind-numbing....

but progress is being made.

OD, it takes more than just timing it right. It takes stepping up when the moment comes.... My car did not have all the exotic parts, but when the opportunities came, I opened my wallet and went out on a limb....

we've met in person—and from my perspective and despite coming from different backgrounds, i hope it was the beginning of a friendship... and a good exchange of ideas (even if you know way more about the cars than i'll ever know)—and clearly it is something of a teacher/pupil exchange...

in the outtakes from the quoted thread above, you said a few words that were spelled out rather clearly, and made some very fair points... but, i don't know if you picked up the veiled message i had put down (in my longest post from the exchange), but, there clearly was a message that had begun there with Gene.... i'll try to explain;

one of the problems i have with 968 Turbo RS #1 is that it's actually worth a great deal more to the large collection of 4 cylinder P-car owners, past, present (and those who are currently in-between rides) than we may even realize.... and not just with a number sounding like three-hundred, forty-six thousand attached, although, i'm sure we were all beaming when we heard about it....

no. the truth is, actually more complicated.... ask yourself; why is that red 968 Turbo priceless ?

i'll tell you why... because it's one of the only cars from that entire family of Porsches that where they REALLY put an effort into showing the pinnacle of the 4 cylinder, front-engine layout and what it could put down onto a roadway.... your car ? same category. they're both treasure.... i won't get into talking about why your car is in that mix... but, clearly it is.

and it's related to what i had been trying to say.... but, it's not just that the cars can't be driven... it's even worse than that. there's no parts bin !! but, of course, (in the case of my puny car), it's not like i would take advantage of that anyway.... i've made that clear enough....

i'm taking a new job position and i probably won't get to drive the car as much as before. still, i wanna drive transcon in the car sometime again... maybe out to some P-car gathering or worse.... maybe to visit some other cousins.... like from the Bob Norwood/Reeves Callaway school !! i grew up reading about those guys...... i was always the most impressed when they tuned Firebirds, Corvettes and Ferrari's with big Detroit muscle !! in 1986 it was Gale Bank's and his Firebirds... in 1988 it was the Callaway Sledgehammer and Norwood Ferrari...

i remember reading about one of the guys making the remark that life is short.

indeed it is !! so, while it may seem like i'm trying to impress everyone. hell, i probably am... but, i'm a V8 guy... i can name the cars i like on a few fingers.... yeah... Bob Norwood.... find a car you like and tune it any Goddarn way you please...

in 1990 i brought home a Porsche 944. and my gearhead racecar builders down the street started talking about how we should tear it up and install an SBC.....

that was the beginning of dreaming about taking a car you like and "making it your own...."

cuz life is short....

and like a few other people here... i wanna drive that f ucking red car.

Last edited by odurandina; 03-21-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:31 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Raj,

a lot of stuff had been going on the second half of last year that hit me like a ton of bricks. through ups and downs i try to stay positive.... i know what you mean about being humble.... believe me i do... but i also believe i share an enthusiasm for our cars too. i've known for a long time about the obvious nature of my posts on this thread and on others... that i don't always do "humble" all too good around here. i've even mentioned it a few times...

i'm a bit brash on RLOT. clearly, the author of the most in-your-face thread in Rennlist history up on P&C;
(the sinister role that Fema may play in the near future) posted in December of 2009, and still raging on....

so i guess, i'm not just fully not humble. total *** is probably more accurate.

Have you done it? Are you there yet? Have you heard or sat in a modded 968? Until you have done either, I would say.....

i've narrowed my engine selection down to 2 final choices from 5 original options...

Option #1. LS3 376 c.i. crate - (Crate Engine Depot); $6,204

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/LS3-...70-P10590.aspx

TPC ceramic coat long-tubes (for 944/968) $1,100

total before adding serpentine, bellhousing, w harness/comp, clutch, starter; about $7,300

result; about 445~450 hp at the crank and w/ very friendly street manners.

option # 2 is the fifth setup mentioned on the previous page;

Option #5. LS7 block w/ ls3 crank @ 388 c.i. w/ LS3 heads/intake, LS7 cam

virgin LS7 short block w/ 4.125" siamese-bore cylinders, LS3 crank w/ 3.62" stroke, forged rods - Scoggin Dickey; $5,800

http://sdparts.com

from parts bin, add fully assembled GM LS3 rect port heads, H20 pump, and all other parts to finish crate; (source LS3 intake, fuel rail, and manual throttle body from ebay)... total; about $2,200....
add GM LS7 cam, beehive valvespring set, Manly chrome-moly pushrods, $800
TPC ceramic coat long-tubes $1,100.00

total before adding serpentine, bellhousing, w harness/comp, clutch, starter; $9,900

result; about 480~485 hp at the crank w/ no lope and very friendly street manners.

Originally Posted by OakRZB

I've always wanted to see if I could put an LSx into my.... Once I saw how light the LS3's were, it was worth considering.... So this 968 came along in Dec. and now I'm involved with this new project....

Cheers !

i think you'll love the 968 and you can drive the stock motor forever... i would do just that if it weren't for the fact that i've been dreaming of swaping a chevy engine in a 968 since the mid '90s.... as the days near, i must say i'm not looking forward to the down time while it's all in motion. i also hope that the V8 will help me miss the Porsche engine less (and also finding out just how far the variocam could be driven before forcing a rebuild).... would have been a lot of fun to find out !!

Originally Posted by Tabbasco

I was lucky enough to drive one of Eric's (TPC) conversions. The 944 was a stock car with 215 tires... The power was overwhelming for those tires but it had a factory feel to it. Meaning it felt like it was meant to be and will be amazing with better tires, the car felt solid, no creaks or groans from adding so much power....

to purists I can understand their reluctance but, this is a natural conversion,

i'd like to see the purists try and talk themselves out of running an engine like the one below in any proper sports car....

this fine gal sure makes one hell of an arguement for going full bore and stroke......

well, the motor i was referring to above the video. is explained below.... it's affordable and it's a monster.

it's the real Z06, fully stroked LS7 with the exotic Siamese-bore cylinders in a package can be made to fit nicely under the 968 hood....

but in the end, i just didn't want the feel of a violent street rod.

Option #3. LS7 427 c.i. w/ LS3 heads/intake

virgin short block - Scoggin Dickey; $5,999
features real LS7 block, siamese-bore cylinders, forged crank, rods ect...

http://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-d...er/sdls7sb427d

from parts bin, add fully assembled GM LS3 rect port heads, H20 pump, and all other parts to finish crate; (source LS3 intake, fuel rail, and manual throttle body from ebay)... total; about $2,200....
add 30 hp comp cams mild cam (54-535-11) $399.00
beehive valvespring set (26918) $337.00
chrome-moly pushrods (795516) $146.43
TPC ceramic coat long-tubes $1,100.00

total before adding serpentine, bellhousing, w harness/comp, clutch, starter; $10,200
Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

OD, there are no hard feeling on my end. It just gets a bit tiring at times. I understand your enthusiasm about our cars and your excitement about throwing in a V8 in yours. I completely know where you are coming from. But, to sit there and bash 968 motors on a 968 specific forum will not make you many friends. We all have our reasons for keeping 968's and not everyone is after 500hp. I came from a 951 background and knew right away a stock 968 would not cut it for me, unless it was in cab form. So I found a 968 turbo and went to task on it.
You know very little history on my car and what it took to get to this point. A few conversations and exchanges does not allow anyone to understand what it took to build this car. Without throwing numbers, I doubt many would still do it even if the parts were available. It takes more than timing, it takes passion, a dream and a spouse who does not know about your secret stash .
BTW, I am from the same era when Gulstrand Corvettes, Callaway TT's, Bob Norwood GTO's and Ruf's BTR's made the cover of magazines for high speed shootouts.
Take care.
Raj
Old 03-20-2012, 01:01 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

to sit there and bash 968 motors on a 968 specific forum will not make you many friends.... I came from a 951 background and knew right away a stock 968 would not cut it for me....

You know very little history on my car and what it took to get to this point. A few conversations and exchanges does not allow anyone to understand what it took to build this car. Without throwing numbers, I doubt many would still do it even if the parts were available. It takes more than timing, it takes passion, a dream and a spouse who does not know about your secret stash .

i don't really bash the engines at all... i sing the praise of the longevity of the variocam platform endlessly on all the other forums. what' i'm bashing is the two-up, two-down architecture of the four cylinder itself. the 968 and Lotus' are the last fledgling supercars to come with these motors, in part for that very reason....

i think i have a pretty good idea about what went into your car. and i also know that it's not really your style to get into all the details.... so i didn't want to say anything about that. not my place.

one more thing.

i left out the punch line in the above post. i bolded the part i left out....

one of the problems i have with 968 Turbo RS #1 is that it's actually worth a great deal more to the large collection of 4 cylinder P-car owners, past, present (and those who are currently in-between rides) than we may even realize.... and not just with a number sounding like three-hundred, forty-six thousand attached, although, i'm sure we were all beaming when we heard about it....

no. the truth is, actually more complicated.... ask yourself; why is that red 968 Turbo priceless ?

i'll tell you why... because it's one of the only cars from that entire family of Porsches that where they REALLY put an effort into showing the pinnacle of the 4 cylinder, front-engine layout and what it could put down onto a roadway.... your car ? same category. they're both treasure.... i won't get into talking about why your car is in that mix... but, clearly it is.

and it's related to what i had been trying to say.... but, it's not just that the cars can't be driven... it's even worse than that. there's no parts bin !! but, of course, (in the case of my puny car), it's not like i would take advantage of that anyway. but, i've made that clear enough...

Last edited by odurandina; 03-20-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:32 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

i don't really bash the engines at all... i sing the praise of the longevity of the variocam platform endlessly on all the other forums. what' i'm bashing is the two-up, two-down architecture of the four cylinder itself. the 968 and Lotus' are the last fledgling supercars to come with these motors, in part for that very reason....

i think i have a pretty good idea about what went into your car. and i also know that it's not really your style to get into all the details.... so i didn't want to say anything about that. not my place.

one more thing.

i left out the punch line in the above post. i bolded the part i left out....
How could anyone when I share very little information? It doesn't really matter. This is not about my car.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:23 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

i'll repost this new project on the next page....

Last edited by odurandina; 03-31-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: a few upgrades for the 968....