968 Forum 1992-1995

Matt Sheppard, please contact me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 01:57 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Listers beware of user Matt Sheppard

Hate that it has come to this, but I've waited to long for him to solve this problem.

Here's the story and hopefully this catches his attention enough to resolve the problem and I will delete this post.

Back in April, I posted a thread where I was looking to buy a 968 shell or roller in order to swap my 951 drivetrain into [https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...e-roller.html] Matt Sheppard contacted me about his '92 968 shell that he had been trying to get rid of. Based on his previous threads he's had the car about 2 years. [https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...e-roller.html] [https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...le-500-a.html]

I then started researched what it would take for me to drive from Seattle, WA to Windsor, CA to pick it up. A few days later I told Matt I wanted to buy the shell and we arranged a time for me to come down and get it. Price was $450 and I sent him a deposit of $225 on 4/18/2012 with the remaining $225 to be paid on pickup.

We chose 5/19/2012 for me to pick it up. On 5/17/2012, I PM'd Matt to make sure we were still good for pickup and he informed me that he was having trouble finding the title. He reassured me that he had it and had just misplaced it in the two years since he has had the car. I figured I could trust a longstanding Rennlist member and agreed to still pickup the car and he could just mail me the title in case he couldn't find it prior to the 19th.

So the 19th arrived and due to some traffic in the bay area, we didn't make it to Matt's house with the trailer until well after dark. In the rush of trying to get the shell loaded and back on the road I paid Matt the remaining balance of $225, but forgot to have him sign the Bill of Sale that I had printed out and brought with me. Once again, I figured I would never need it so long as I got the title. And from my understanding, Matt never transferred the car into his name so it would've been worthless anyways.

On 5/22/2012, I messaged Matt to let him know I made the trip back safely and gave him my address for him to mail me the title. That was the last time he logged into Rennlist and he never responded to that message.

A few weeks go by and I didn't hear back from Matt so I gave his cell a call and left a message. A few more weeks, another voicemail left and still no contact back. Finally July rolls around and I sent him an email looking for an update. I was able to find a few contact emails based on his previous posts and paypal email so I copied my message to those. Apparently one of the emails was Matt's wife who responded saying that Matt had lost it and would find it. Still no response from Matt himself. So I posted this thread and emailed the link to him.

7/21/2012, I finally get a single email back from Matt. He said he hasn't been able to find it and hasn't devoted much time to it, but says he will look for it the following day. A week later, and I sent him another email asking for an update. Nothing back from him...

So, right now I have a 968 shell with no title. I can't get a replacement title because I would need to know the previous owners information and have a notarized Bill of Sale from them in the state of California. I am out $450 for the shell, and over $1500 in gas/trailer/lodging/etc. for the trip to pick it up. The car is only worth it's weight in scrap without a title.

I don't want to proceed further into tearing apart my 951 until I know for certain I'll have a legal 968 to put everything into.

Never in my mind would I have thought I would have such a horrible deal with a longtime Rennlist member. If this gets straightened out then this post will go away. In the meantime, let this be a warning for other 'listers so they don't get screwed like I did.

Last edited by alxdgr8; 08-07-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:24 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Still no contact back from him...pretty sure he is ignoring me.
Will give him a bit more time before I spill the beans publicly...
Old 07-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Alex, I'd have a conversation with a mod first, they sometimes can help out in issues like this.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:01 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Finally heard back from him almost two weeks ago, but no resolution of the problem and no further contact since...spilling the beans soon. I've never EVER had such a horrible transaction with a fellow Rennlister.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Krag50
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same with me, I purchased a rear wing, it came but no hardware for mounting or the adjusters. After 10 or so e-mails with no reply, I'd never recomend this guy.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:06 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

First post updated with the details, hopefully he fixes this but I don't have much hope.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:32 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hopefully he gets on here soon and this gets resolved, good luck!
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck, Alex.

Quick Reply: Matt Sheppard, please contact me!