Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 02:29 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts
Default My first time 968 ownership journey

As i reported a few weeks ago, i purchased this car on BaT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...e-968-coupe-6/

My wife and I flew to PHX last week, rental car to Tucson and met with the sellers (husband and wife).
Did the deal, then went to a nice B&B downtown, where we kicked off celebration of the purchase (and ST. Patrick's Day) at a Guinness pub.
My wife and I got married in Como Italy in 2000 and the ceremony only occurred thanks to a nice couple that ran a Guinness pub in Como, so we have a soft spot for the pubs, but that's a different story.

The drive home went well with no real issues.
I did have to fix the sunroof enroute.
The rear of the sunroof would lift 2 - 4 inches off the chassis when trucks drove by.
Turned out that the 2 metal "cams" that insert into the sunroof brackets were below the bracket and not inserted into the brackets.
Simple fix, my wife pushed the button to retract the cams, I pushed down on the sunroof from above and my wife pushed the button to raise the sunroof which allowed the cams to go into the brackets.
(In retrospect, that should have been my first clue that the seller was not a talented mechanic).
The car got 32 mpg while averaging 85 mph across the desert (RTE8).
I may have tested stability at a sustained 120 mph and may have gone as fast as an indicated 138 mph before losing faith in the tyres....................

The drive home also taught me that the car has a lotta rattles, even though I specifically asked the owner about this and he said no (he was quite elderly, so hearing acuity may have been an issue).
I fully expected to have to fix things on a 30 year old car and put a few items on the fix immediately list.
  • Troubleshoot and resolve nasty rattle in year decklid area = simple fix, the fastener for the spare wheel was loose allowing metal to metal rattle
  • Troubleshoot and resolve nasty rattles in the drivers side dash area = planned
  • Troubleshoot and resolve nasty rattles in the rear hatch area = planned. I'm pretty sure this is endemic across 924 / 944 / 968 chassis, so hopefully well know path.

Overall no big surprises, but check out next post

Last edited by cgfen; 03-21-2023 at 03:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cgfen:
Spokayman (03-27-2023), TKO (04-19-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 05:34 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 473 Posts

What a lovely example, welcome!

Pop that hood and inspect the fuel lines! A car that pretty needs the flammable bits in the best possible nick.

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
Spokayman (03-27-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 06:09 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

Yup!

Brake lines too...
Congratulations, if your license plate is a Hogan's Heroes reference, Shotzee was big and fat. 968 is not big and fat.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 03-22-2023, 12:01 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Looks great, and the old school bra does the job,
Spokayman (03-27-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 01:53 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
What a lovely example, welcome!

Pop that hood and inspect the fuel lines! A car that pretty needs the flammable bits in the best possible nick.

Cheers
Underhood items are remarkably fresh and in good shape
Originally Posted by Yogii
Yup!

Brake lines too...
Congratulations, if your license plate is a Hogan's Heroes reference, Shotzee was big and fat. 968 is not big and fat.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Car will go on the lift this weekend for a thorough inspection.
I have no idea what the PO was thinking on the license plate.

Originally Posted by jeff968
Looks great, and the old school bra does the job,
Only used for long distance hwy travel.

Be well.
Spokayman (03-27-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 02:01 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Well, as I stated above, I fully expected to have to fix things on a 30 year old car .
I was not planning that one of things may likely be a replacement or rebuild of the transmission.
Apparently the previous owner chose to not disclose a problem. When I asked him the other day if he wanted to discuss "functionality or lack thereof of the transmission", he just replied, "No".
I know the car was bought sight unseen, as is, caveat emptor, but I would not do such a thing.
Nearly every time I sell a car the new owner comes back to me and says, "this car is better than expected".
Certainly not the case with the 968.

I did a search in the archives and not much info on tippy 968s.
I'll start a new thread and ask some questions.

sigh
Old 03-24-2023, 11:00 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

That's really a bummer. I pretty much disclose 100% of absolutely everything when I sell a car. I don't know if that helps me or hinders me.

I recently sold my 07 Audi S8 on Cars and Bids and the guy thought it was so much better than I advertised it as. It was super clean, I had owned it for 11 years and always garaged it.

Best of luck. Buying through an online auction and never seeing the car in person is a crap shoot.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:53 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

The first thing I would really do is punch the guy that sold you the car in the nuts!
Old 03-27-2023, 06:20 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Very sorry to hear about the transmission trouble @cgfen .
It sounds like it didn’t start acting up until you got home?

If it were me I might post my experience as a comment on the Bring a Trailer auction. It’s a warning to others to not trust that seller, though in this case he may never do so again.
But others might have more to add too.

Last edited by Spokayman; 03-27-2023 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:37 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Sorry to hear of the transmission trouble.....to be fair the former owner may have known nothing about it. You openly stated that you drove the car 6 hours from Phoenix home with sustained high speeds and never had any troubles. A few days later the trans starts acting up on a 30 year old car?? Not what you want for sure.....but not sure what I have read so far deserves public humiliation and to be cancelled on BAT. I would expect the owners to be a little more sympathetic to your phone call for sure, but in all fairness they probably never had any trouble??
Old 04-11-2023, 02:11 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Ok, next steps.
I was able to locate a used transmission at a breaker that has 44k miles but has sat on the shelf since 2002!
I take delivery today and plan to swap out the valve body as first step.
I've messed around with many auto transmissions, MOPAR muscle cars, so hopefully valve body swap should be easy.

Also trying to sort out uber annoying hatch rattles. Amazing how a car can squeak as soon as it accelerates to 2mph. I'm looking into old threads / remedies.
I'll probably tag onto or start another thread to work towards resolution.

I won't go into detail, but after discussion with the seller and BaT, we agreed on a satisfactory resolution to the transmission issue.
I will say that BaT far exceeded my expectations and I give them Kudo's for EXCELLENT customer service.
Spokayman (04-13-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 07:41 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Please do go into detail how you worked out a satisfactory solution?
I used to be addicted to BaT. Withdrawal was difficult.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 04-17-2023, 04:25 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

I took delivery of the used transmission last week.
No obvious issues externally or from transport.
My plan (was) to change out the "hydraulic control unit" from the newly delivered trans into the one in the car.

I'm pretty sure that the issue is a failing solenoid or wiring or something similar because when the car exhibits inability to shift above 2nd, I can always get it to work correctly by briefly shifting to neutral while rolling, then back to drive.
So, this is what the hydraulic control unit (HCU) looks like once the pan and filter are removed.
Sadly a bit more complicated than I was expecting.
To remove the unit, it looks like I'll have to remove at least one / two layers to get to the fasteners that hold it to the case.
I'm going to do a bit more sniffing around, but if that's the case, I'm going to divert to plan B and just swap trannies.
I'm concerned that as i disassemble the HCU's layers, I may frack something up which will defeat the purpose of buying the unit.
My next door neighbor used to run a transmission repair / rebuild shop.
I'll ask him for a bit of help to determine path forward.

Cheers

Note the 5 solenoids, 4 forward and 1 reverse
Old 04-26-2023, 08:21 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Got the car smogged / registered / license plated today
= progress
Old 04-27-2023, 12:36 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
Got the car smogged / registered / license plated today
= progress
Well if it cleared smog, you are good to go...

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice

Quick Reply: My first time 968 ownership journey