Aftermarket vs. Sport Seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Vilhuer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
Of the 4,242 North American 968s, 1,931 were part of the 09991 Excluisive program and have the code listed on their vehicle information tag. Most are XD4 painted crest center cars but a few of them have rootwood pieces, additional leather, and body colored painted wheels. 437/438 full power seats were never part of the exclusive program. They were a standard factory installed option. If you had a 968 with full power seats it would not have the exclusive program option code list, you have to have an "X" code option listed to get the 09991. I suspect, as the earlier poster indicated, the 968 sport seat did not have the design that could handle the addition of the additional motors or the lumbar. The exclusive program was all about looks (leathers, wood, paint), not funtion. Function was factory. That's what the data says.
Regardless of option code type there were more seat possibilities available than what normal option list makes one believe. Geting some of them like 8-way sport seats with heat required special order. In normal price lists I have seen it wasn't possible to specify both comfort and sport seat options at same time which 8-way sport seat basically is.

You can't use option code list from US model production as complete possibilities list. There were so many obscure options available that its very likely some are missing from every single US car. Something like M208 Trailer hitch might not have made into any of them even though it was installed on some ROW cars in production line and cars have code in sticker to prove it. Hitch might not have type approval for US 968 but its just sample of codes what might be missing from all US cars yet could have been ordered. It certainly was possible to get in US 928 and in all just 7 cars had it in '80-86 MY's.

Even though externally they look different 928 uses exact same seat frames as 968. There is provision for extra stuff needed for lumbar support in them. At least in those I have seen. Only difference between sport and non sport frame is different shape pipes on seat sides which supports larger bolsters. Non sport frame is easy to convert to sport seat style. Covering and soft stuff in between is more difficult in a way that it costs more $$$ to have made to do conversion. Frame requires just simple welding jop.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:13 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Vilhuer
You can't use option code list from US model production as complete possibilities list.
I'm not, I'm using the actual factory production build data for each of the 4,242 NA 968s. Granted, the dealership could have installed anything the customer wanted but I don't consider the dealership factory. I have yet to see a disagreement between my factory data and a NA 968 that I have come across(other then dealer mods) and I have been watching and tracking these cars since they were new.

Can you show us a photo of a Euro 968 sport seat with full power?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:22 PM
tamathumper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff, does NA here mean North America, or Normally Aspirated?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:46 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tamathumper
Jeff, does NA here mean North America, or Normally Aspirated?
North American (includes US and Canada, those are the cars in my database)
Old 06-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Vilhuer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
I'm not, I'm using the actual factory production build data for each of the 4,242 NA 968s.
Which is exact same thing I meant. Geting options of those US cars and combining all used codes from them.

M208 trailer hitch is good example of possible option no one wanted. It was actually installed in Stuttgart production line and not at dealer. That was only way for code to get into option sticker. Any 968 with that option listed? If yes then it was done on same production line where 34 ROW 928 GTS got their hitch.

Can you show us a photo of a Euro 968 sport seat with full power?
No as I don't follow them that closely. Best what I might be able to do is factory original 8-way 928 sport seat as such photos should be somewhere in 928 forum archives. Having electric backrest movement means it has one motor in backrest when normal sport seat dont have any. That should not be possible according to normal factory documentation as M383 and M387 sport seat option shouldn't have more electrics than simple height adjustments. It was GT which had started life as factory employee company car. Those were usually optioned much better than average customer cars by people who knew what was possible to get from Exclusive department.

There were no reason why Exclusive department couldn't do more of them to anyone who was willing to pay. Including puting them into 968's. There aren't many 968's with $20K custom color carpets or $9K seatbelts either. People weren't willing to spend that kind of money, especially not for 968. 968 + $30K in options was same as geting 911 or 928 in standard colors.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:26 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Well, if you come across a 968 sport seat with the full 8 way option be sure to post a photo but I'll go with the data and my 13 years of ownership and tracking and say no such thing was made and no factory trailer hitch for the NA 968s either.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:48 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Edit: Been corrected. See below posts.

Only 1995 993's had this style sport seat. In 1996 they switched to the 'Hardback' Sport seat, which some argue is less aggressive in terms of bolstering. However, the comfort seat remained the same but with the new stitching.

Take care,

Last edited by FrenchToast; 06-17-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Sport seats are the same across all models starting in 1985 (1985.5 for the 944, unsure on 928), and thru 1995. The stitching for the inserts changed beginning for 1995. However, the 928 inserts remained the same until 1995 AFAIK, and was a different insert than the others. 959 seat stitching was also different.

They were made in many varieties, from 12-way heated to I think fully manual (quite rare). From partial leather to full leather, partial cloth to full cloth, Script, pinstripe, Plaid etc.

Only 1995 993's had this style sport seat. In 1996 they switched to the 'Hardback' Sport seat, which some argue is less aggressive in terms of bolstering. However, the comfort seat remained the same but with the new stitching.

Take care,
The sport seats in my 85.5 944 were not the same as the ones in my 968.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:25 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The sport seats from a 944 are not 100% identical. The back rest tilt and fore/aft handles are different. Also if you want to get technical the seat belt receptacles are different as well although the buckles will still click in regardless.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for all y'all

So low and behold a set of factory sport seats come up for sale locally. Asking $1200 for the pair which is about fair market value i believe.

They're off a late model 944 and are 4 way adjustable for driver and passenger. Judging by the pictures they look to be in good condition with no visible wear.

For those that have replaced their seats at one time or another...

(A) Is it plug and play? My driver seat is full 8 way adjustable and my passenger side is manual. The new ones are both 4 way (manual fore/aft)
(B) What if they're heated? Are these cars prewired for any seat combination?
(C) Should I bother swapping 968 handles and seat belt receptacle on the new seats so its period correct?
(D) And finally should I keep my stock seats or offer them on trade?

Final thoiughts anyone? Sorry for the million questions its not like a set of these seats fall in your lap every day!
Attached Images   
Old 12-10-2013, 02:03 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark, they are totally plug and play. Go for it! The price and condition are right.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:30 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Vilhuer

M208 trailer hitch is good example of possible option no one wanted. It was actually installed in Stuttgart production line and not at dealer. That was only way for code to get into option sticker. Any 968 with that option listed? If yes then it was done on same production line where 34 ROW 928 GTS got their hitch.
I disagree with this. I don't know how it worked in other countries, but every N/A 968 (along with every N/A Porsche for many years) entered Charleston, SC. Several of my friends worked at the pre delivery inspection facility including the people who printed the window decals and shipped the cars to the selling dealers. I toured the plant back in the day and asked a lot of questions of my friends who worked there.

Except for color to sample, options could be added here in Charleston (during PDI) as requested by the selling dealer. The option labels and window decals were then printed to match how the vehicle was shipped from the PDI center. This is how and why the window decal displays the US dealers info - it was printed stateside.

I'm not calling it impossible, but I doubt any 90s Porsche left the factory wearing a trailer hitch. It would have been added in the PDI process as ordered by the dealer.

Last edited by chudson; 12-10-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
Mark, they are totally plug and play. Go for it! The price and condition are right.
Very cool, thanks. I'll post pix when i get them
Old 12-24-2013, 05:55 AM
kmckmc
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

How about this Lotus Elise "ProBax" seat? In Porsche 968.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:19 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Those look horridly uncomfortable! Props to whomever wanted to do that, but its not my cup of tea.

I've been working on getting new seats in my DD (Scion FR-S and am convinced FR-S stands for "f$%&ing rotten seats") and am convinced there is no other option but Recaro if you want a comfortable seat that you can sit in for extended periods of time. I bought and installed a set of Recaro Sport seats in the car that were fantastic, but the fabric was worn out so I just replaced them with a set of new Recaro Sportster CS, which are not as comfortable but it may be due to them needing to get broken in. If I could have found some excellent condition Recaro Sport seats in leather, I would have jumped on them.

I have factory sport seats in my 951 and regular seats in my 968, and I am tempted to install a set of the Sportster CS seats in my 951, primarily due to weight savings but I think they are also more comfortable.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket vs. Sport Seats