Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Electrical question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 06:50 PM
RL911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul is a huge help, helped me a ton diagnosing AC.

There are two switches for the car, low temp and normal. Low temp better, but either will be fine. You will need a large socket to get at it, and really only from underneath, can't remember socket size, but something like 28 or 29 mm, maybe larger. Will need to drain coolant, or at least some of it. Be careful not to over tighten when installing the new one as the housing on the radiator is plastic, but it has to be tight enough not to leak...obviously.

What I don't understand is how this switch would cause the fans to come on and off. The switch either opens or closes depending on temp. Would a defective switch act like this? I would think it would either remain open or closed.

Here's the part...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...2520%2520%2520
Old 12-04-2013, 12:13 AM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

Picked up the switch today. It looks exactly like the one in the picture on the Pelican website except this one has a copper sealing washer instead of the green gasket like washer. There are numbers stamped on the wrench flats thus : 3/8, which I presume to mean 3/8 PIPE thread. I didn't measure the thread pitch, but it looks about right. The other numbers are : 1.85 stamped over 2.93 with what looks like the small circle degree symbol after the numbers. Last numbers : 170.03 not sure what this represesents.

The brand is Behr. PN on the box 321 959 481 M Thermo Switch 2 Stage

Probably too much information for a switch, but now you know what I wound up with if it is not suitable, I can return it.

Quick Reply: Electrical question