968 Forum 1992-1995

Just picked up a 93 968 No oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 09:09 PM
travisgreen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
The crank bolt tightens the crank pulley against the oil pump drive sleeve. The drive sleeve is not keyed to the crankshaft, it relies on being clamped by the pulley against the crankshaft flange. A loose crank pulley could mean the drive sleeve will slip on the crankshaft.
Interesting, I don't know much about the internals of these motors.. So am I left with a bad pump in your opinion?
Old 12-15-2013, 06:47 AM
mbardeen
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

It has been mentioned before, but the oil-pickup tube has been known to crack. Only way to diagnose that is to pull the pan.

But, if it seems like it's only the top end that's not getting oil, you might check to see if the plugs for the back camshaft oil galleys are still there. I found one of mine in the the oil pan.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23465100@N00/8326613320/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23465100@N00/8323810816/
Old 12-15-2013, 09:50 AM
travisgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by mbardeen
It has been mentioned before, but the oil-pickup tube has been known to crack. Only way to diagnose that is to pull the pan. But, if it seems like it's only the top end that's not getting oil, you might check to see if the plugs for the back camshaft oil galleys are still there. I found one of mine in the the oil pan.

Um that's interesting, I don't recall seeing either one when I had the valve cover off, now I need to pull it again to be sure. Thanks for that bit. You don't have a pic of what it should look like from a better angle do you?
Old 12-15-2013, 12:35 PM
mbardeen
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Not my picture, but you can see them on the left here.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:11 PM
RL911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still leaning heavily toward this, but it's good to look at the easy stuff first like you are doing...

Old 12-15-2013, 01:32 PM
travisgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by mbardeen
Not my picture, but you can see them on the left here.
Ok that is what mine looked like. I'm going to pull the motor, take it to the shop and have it checked and revealed and see who wants it. I didn't ever plan on keeping it in the car but would have been nice if it was an easy fix.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:48 PM
Lightning505
7th Gear

Thanks for the tip, but it is not working in my case. I had the car apart to replace belts/pulleys and then had a medical problem that kept me from finishing it for over a year. I don't have any oil pressure while cranking with the coil wire pulled. I tried your suggestion twice but still have no pressure. The oil is draining out of the central passage, but the oil stays in the side passages. Any other ideas?

Thanks again,
John
'92 968 Coupe
Old 08-17-2021, 11:00 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

John if you don’t have oil pressure after servicing the belts and pulleys triple check the front main pulleys and large 24mm head bolt that it’s seated properly on the pulleys a lot of times it’s easy to get the power steering pulley off just a bit and then the whole pulley pack is off and remember it’s all squeezing the oil pumps central gear so if you have anything off here the oil pump doesn’t spin correctly and no pickup. Once you have verified this is ok then pull the oil filter off and install a funnel into the threaded pipe hole where filter was and pour in a cup or two of oil down there. Then put filter back on and finally remove the oil pressure relief valve from its socket under the oil filter console there you may have to take pass wheel off for better access it’s easy once you do that. On this pressure relief valve make sure it’s not stuck open or something stuck in it because if so no oil pickup will happen thus no pressure. These are three common yet hard to diagnose problems hope they help.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:20 AM
Lightning505
7th Gear

Thanks for your quick reply! I am quite sure that all the timing marks are properly lined up; the first thing that I did was to make sure that I had everything at TDC before installing the factory flywheel lock to replace the belts and pulleys. As you know, the front sprocket is keyed to the crankshaft and I never even removed the key when when I pulled the sprocket to replace the belts. I carefully marked the sprocket position so that I could use the 24mm bolt to pull the sprocket back into its original position. The front and rear passages in the oil filter housing are remaining filled with oil when I crank the engine, but the center hole continues to drain. I do have the front of the car raised (but not the back) so that I can work underneath on my creeper - do you think that slant might be affecting the engine's ability to get oil pressure prime? I have filled the center hole in the oil filter housing twice, but have certainly not put "a cup or two of oil" down there before it filled up and I cranked the engine. I had thought that the OPRV might be an issue; I have another project car right next to the 968, so it would be hard to even get the RF wheel off to access it. As you know, the access to the oil filter is miserable. Thanks again for your assistance!
Old 08-19-2021, 06:21 AM
Lightning505
7th Gear

The third try was the charm! I just had to keep adding oil down the center of the oil filter hole and I finally got oil pressure (with the coil wire unplugged) while cranking the starter. I then plugged the coil wire back in and the car started for the first time in 1 year and 5 months! Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Just picked up a 93 968 No oil pressure