Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Flickering headlights and bouncing voltmeter

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 01:16 AM
monteolsen1
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am really enjoying my 1992 968. I think it is in Jeff's database. I am slowly trying to bring this great car back to its former glory. I've kind of ignored engine problems but those are getting close, mainly dealing with two oil leaks, one from the pan and the other from, of course, the rear main seal. It has a lightened flywheel, which I think is causing a rattle around 2400 RPM but read that is a common symptom of lightened flywheels. I've replaced all of the weather seals and gaskets, it has been repainted and small dents removed. Fixed the air conditioning and suspension issues front and back, as well as slave and master cylinders. And a host of other things. Done all kinds of minor restoration inside with new parts, *****, door cards and seat upholstery as well as a new speedometer, dash lighting and temperature gauge.

Luckily, my wife is supportive, though I think she may be losing patience. A ride in the car always brings a smile to her face, though.

This new problem just popped up, and that is headlights flickering and volt gauge bouncing at idle. I just had the alternator brushes replaced. Do any of you have thoughts about what may be causing this? I haven't checked anything with a volt meter yet and plan to do so possibly tomorrow. I was thinking that it might be a ground but don't even know where to start looking. The gauge on the cat doesn't appear to drop below 12 volts. Thanks for any thoughts.

Monte Olsen

Last edited by monteolsen1; 12-17-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:05 AM
monteolsen1
Rennlist Member

Arghhh, sorry about the typos. I'm using a tablet to write these posts. I'm not sure what I meant with the first two words, but this is a 1992 968 that I enjoy very much. Also, later in the message I am talking about the voltage gauge in the car, not the "cat." Sigh.

Originally Posted by monteolsen1
Most ill have and am really enjoying my 1962 968. I think it is in Jeff's database. I am slowly trying to bring this great car back to its former glory. I've kind of ignored engine problems but those are getting close, mainly dealing with two oil leaks, one from the pan and the other from, of course, the rear main seal. This new problem just popped up, and that is headlights flickering and volt gauge bouncing at idle. I just had the alternator brushes replaced. Do any of you have thoughts about what may be causing this? I haven't checked anything with a volt meter yet and plan to do so possibly tomorrow. I was thinking that it might be a ground but don't even know where to start looking. The gauge on the cat doesn't appear to drop below 12 volts. Thanks for any thoughts. Monte Olsen
Old 01-26-2014, 05:21 AM
monteolsen1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by monteolsen1
Arghhh, sorry about the typos. I'm using a tablet to write these posts. I'm not sure what I meant with the first two words, but this is a 1992 968 that I enjoy very much. Also, later in the message I am talking about the voltage gauge in the car, not the "cat." Sigh.
bump
Old 01-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

The flickering head lights could be a wire that the insulation has rubbed thru and touching metal. Check the wires where the head light moves going up and down as they could be rubbing metal. The head light switch is known for shorting out inside and has caused fires. All Ground Wires are colored BROWN. The volt meter flux can be caused by a bad ground on the back of instrument cluster. There are 3 main connections as you must know. I used a pencil eraser and then contact cleaner on them.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 05-20-2014, 12:02 AM
monteolsen1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Grandpa#3
The flickering head lights could be a wire that the insulation has rubbed thru and touching metal. Check the wires where the head light moves going up and down as they could be rubbing metal. The head light switch is known for shorting out inside and has caused fires. All Ground Wires are colored BROWN. The volt meter flux can be caused by a bad ground on the back of instrument cluster. There are 3 main connections as you must know. I used a pencil eraser and then contact cleaner on them. Cheers, Larry
Larry I am so sorry it took this long to get back to yu. Thanks very much for your suggestions.

Quick Reply: Flickering headlights and bouncing voltmeter