Originally Posted by CharlieB
Jeff: You have a PM from me!
You have an answer from me
Old 07-08-2014, 03:05 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by monteolsen1
This is interesting. So the French versions had all yellow lights at the front, including the headlights? Does anyone know why? Was it the law. Again, I wonder why? Very interesting.
Don't know if this is true, but as a kid when I lived in europe, the yellow lights were glaring and annoying.

"What many of our American readers probably do not know is that until 1993 all cars in France were required to have yellow headlights. This tradition started during World War II so that the French civilian cars would stand out form enemy vehicles. The Government enacted a law on the 3rd of November, 1936 stating that all vehicles put into production in 1937 are required to have yellow headlights. The French being who they are, didn't abandon these headlights until 1993 when forced by the European Unions conformity standards. Today, it is illegal to drive in France with yellow headlights unless your car was first registered before 1993."

I was always told it was because the French believe the yellow light was better on they eyes for fog and rain.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:00 AM
monteolsen1
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by touareg
Don't know if this is true, but as a kid when I lived in europe, the yellow lights were glaring and annoying. "What many of our American readers probably do not know is that until 1993 all cars in France were required to have yellow headlights. This tradition started during World War II so that the French civilian cars would stand out form enemy vehicles. The Government enacted a law on the 3rd of November, 1936 stating that all vehicles put into production in 1937 are required to have yellow headlights. The French being who they are, didn't abandon these headlights until 1993 when forced by the European Unions conformity standards. Today, it is illegal to drive in France with yellow headlights unless your car was first registered before 1993." I was always told it was because the French believe the yellow light was better on they eyes for fog and rain.
that makes sense! Thanks for the history lesson.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:23 AM
bmnelsc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - similar to maniaquede968 - I have a 91 944s2 from MIZWA Japan. Mine is low optioned - sunroof delete, no air bags, no cruise, script seats with 2 way power only but has adjustable headlights, AC and central locking and what looks like a phone antenna but no phone components appear to have ever been installed. AND NO OPTION STICKER.
One of my locking fobs has broken - just the case - electronics still work. I went to the Porsche dealer to get a new case for the fob and was told it was not factory. So perhaps MIZWA was installing aftermarket remote locking? Perhaps my "looks like a phone antenna" is actually the remote locking receiver? It is a simple 2 button remote that only works on the doors. I'd like to get another fob to repair mine but searching the web has produced nothing. Any ideas?
Old 09-25-2014, 05:57 AM
tamathumper
Racer

Pics?
Old 09-25-2014, 12:26 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmnelsc
Hello - similar to maniaquede968 - I have a 91 944s2 from MIZWA Japan. Mine is low optioned - sunroof delete, no air bags, no cruise, script seats with 2 way power only but has adjustable headlights, AC and central locking and what looks like a phone antenna but no phone components appear to have ever been installed. AND NO OPTION STICKER.
One of my locking fobs has broken - just the case - electronics still work. I went to the Porsche dealer to get a new case for the fob and was told it was not factory. So perhaps MIZWA was installing aftermarket remote locking? Perhaps my "looks like a phone antenna" is actually the remote locking receiver? It is a simple 2 button remote that only works on the doors. I'd like to get another fob to repair mine but searching the web has produced nothing. Any ideas?
I unscrewed the factory phone antenna off mount on the car a long time ago but on the cabriolet it goes through the windshield high up on the passenger side. The mount has a swivel ball with a threaded part sticking up for the antenna to attach. There was no armrest storage lid because that is where the factory sat, unfortunately my wife left the roof down at work and someone stole the phone.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:32 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedBump
I unscrewed the factory phone antenna off mount on the car a long time ago but on the cabriolet it goes through the windshield high up on the passenger side. The mount has a swivel ball with a threaded part sticking up for the antenna to attach. There was no armrest storage lid because that is where the factory sat, unfortunately my wife left the roof down at work and someone stole the phone.
Although it is cool to look at, remember the factory phone was analog so you couldn't even get service for it to work today.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:54 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts

Another difference US to Euro is the CS had a manual pull for the hatch and not an electric motor release.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:19 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff968
Although it is cool to look at, remember the factory phone was analog so you couldn't even get service for it to work today.
My wife liked that it sat higher than the standard armrest, plus it was a cool conversation piece.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:31 PM
bmnelsc
Track Day

Default Pics for remote locking

Hello here are photos of my antenna and fob - sorry about the quality - apparently I'm useless even with digital cameras I used my phone on the fob as the glare from the flash made the camera photos useless.

Antenna is about 4" tall - fob is 2" by 1.5". Key attaches at the right hand side.
Attached Images    
Old 09-25-2014, 09:42 PM
maniaquede968
Intermediate

Default parking lights inside sealbeams

One of the coolest feature of the ROW cars is that the parking lights are inside the sealbeams so I dont have to pup up the lights to see those sealbeams light up! With the fog lights and parking light turned on it looks pretty cool.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:05 PM
touareg
Drifting

Been lightening the car like crazy, so have scoured the interwebs the last year, trying to understand all the differences they had.

As mentioned above, a pull for the CS rear hatch. Anyone know the part number?

It also has a no key mech, so that is part 944 505 671 00 01C for the blank.

The door window switches use a blank for the passenger side, and I believe for the US drivers side, it uses the UK or right hand drive cars panel with a single blank for the switch.

Rear quarter speaker panels don't have the holes for the rear seat back mounts, seatbelts, etc. Also it is just perforated for the speakers.

Of course you have window cranks with manual windows as an option.

There must be a rear mounted battery bracket and wiring for the UK cars with the battery in the boot.

The Sport script for UK only sports.

The Club Sport wheel, which I think was never an option here.

I know a lot of cars in the 80s and 90s in europe required a fire extinguisher and triangle. Factory parts I am sure.

The lap clock for the 968 Club Sport, in place of the temperature light.

Recaro bucket seats.

CS rear shelf and net.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:39 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

As mentioned above, a pull for the CS rear hatch. Anyone know the part number?
I am interested too! I would like to retrofit my 944 with the 968 hatch release mechanism (the rod assy between the 2 sides as seen in your first photo of the yellow 968) with a CS manual pull release.

It also has a no key mech, so that is part 944 505 671 00 01C for the blank.
Is that the black cap in the key area on the yellow 968?

There must be a rear mounted battery bracket and wiring for the UK cars with the battery in the boot.
Any RHD late dash 944 and all RHD 968's have the rear mounted battery. The tray is spot welded in and there is a canister to vent the battery gases to. This is my '86:
Attached Images  

Last edited by J1NX3D; 08-01-2015 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:23 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by J1NX3D
I am interested too! I would like to retrofit my 944 with the 968 hatch release mechanism (the rod assy between the 2 sides as seen in your first photo of the yellow 968) with a CS manual pull release.

Is that the black cap in the key area on the yellow 968?

Any RHD late dash 944 and all RHD 968's have the rear mounted battery. The tray is spot welded in and there is a cannister to vent the battery cannisters to. This is my '86:
I don't recall for sure, but the rubber large grommet is what keeps the water out, and the key mechanism in, the blank is what screws in behind the key hole, since the key mechanism will be missing.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:42 PM
touareg
Drifting

Here is a link to the german parts catalog http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...68_KATALOG.pdf

Quick Reply: ROW 968s