Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

I screwed up, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 03:50 PM
trackdaycareracer
Advanced

Location: Ex. Vestal, NY; Binghamton, NY; Los Angeles, CA; Poway, CA. Now, somewhere else :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I screwed up, now what?

I over-torqued the drain plug today after changing to a new plug and gasket. I was sure the workshop manual read 73 ftlb, but later found out I had switched the numbers around - it should have been 37 ftlb... The engine was cold during the change, so I am concerned the threads will fail when the engine gets really hot and then cold again a few times.

Now what, should I take the plug off, change to a new gasket and tighten to the correct torque? Or just leave things as they are?
Old 03-29-2014, 04:52 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

You're lucky the threads didn't strip at 73. I'd loosen and retighten at 37. Probably a good idea to replace the crush washer.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:07 PM
trackdaycareracer
Advanced

Location: Ex. Vestal, NY; Binghamton, NY; Los Angeles, CA; Poway, CA. Now, somewhere else :)

Yes, I was lucky. Still worried about potential damage to the threads in the oil pan though. Do you think it is a good idea to heat the drain plug with a heat gun first?
Old 03-29-2014, 06:00 PM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8
You're lucky the threads didn't strip at 73. I'd loosen and retighten at 37. Probably a good idea to replace the crush washer.
I agree. Definitely replace the crush washer.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:14 PM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by trackdaycareracer
Yes, I was lucky. Still worried about potential damage to the threads in the oil pan though. Do you think it is a good idea to heat the drain plug with a heat gun first?
I can't see how it would hurt, just don't torch your car. The oil remaining in the oil pan threads should be sufficient.

Did you feel that when you tightened it to 73 any yield? You can feel it when bolts stretch or threads strip, usually and especially if you are using a dial type torque wrench, you can't get it any tighter. We test hardware until it fails at work sometimes with this method.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:48 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Don't use a torch, just run the car to normal operating temp and then put the wrench to it and break it loose, but don't remove it. Assuming it breaks loose okay (which it should), let it cool down and then go ahead and replace the crush washer, put the plug back in and refill.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

You've received good advice about what to do.
I've seen that many pans have a Helicoil in the drain opening threads. Probably helped you to not damage the threads.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:20 PM
trackdaycareracer
Advanced

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

The drain plug loosened within half a turn, and I tightened it back to 37 ftlb. It seems everything is fine.

Tightening to 73 ftlb, I never came to a point where the drain plug felt like it started to yield. Instinctively, it felt really wrong to use that much force though, wish I had gone back to the house to check the workshop manual again.

A new washer will be ordered tomorrow.

Quick Reply: I screwed up, now what?