968 Forum 1992-1995

968 on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:57 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 968 on eBay

I have been interested in adding a low mileage well maintained 968 to the stable.

There is a 94 low mileage Red coupe listed at 40k or best offer.

The guy states the car has been in storage for the last 10 years.

Sent a question asking what maintenance the car has had since being removed from storage and what options it had.

His response was that he looked at all the fluids prior to driving the car and they were "extremely clean".

So I asked him "So the car was stored for 10 years and you started it and drove it without changing the fluids or belts first? Did you drain the fuel tank first?

Also, you never answered my second question.

His response was "if you are that worried about the car the why don't you come out and take a look at it" and he gave me a list of standard equipment.

I responded:

Hi,

I am not going to invest time and money to come out there if I can't get a few simple questions answered ahead of time.

1. When was the last time the car was driven prior to being removed from storage?

2. Did you drain the gas prior to starting the car?

3. When was the last time the timing belt and Waterpump were changed?

The list you provided to me is standard equipment. I am asking you what options it has.

Btw, I am an active member in the 944/968 community and these are questions that many of us are interested in knowing.

Thank you

His response was " This Is Not The Car For You..........."

So based on his response, or lack there of, he drove the car with 10 year old gas and fluids.

Also, I have no idea what options the car has.

Just thought I would give you guys a heads up regarding what I found out and what kind of guy we are dealing with.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:14 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

P.S. He then sent me a very rude email of which I won't repeat here.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:32 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

if he can't produce the records, make him an offer that reflects how many parts need replacement... and when he say's go efff yourself, kindly move on... when I factor it all in, I believe there are other options available; a less-snarky seller is better, but also be wary of an over-priced 968 market (vs what you get in return) altogether... Boxster S, Cayman/S, 996/997 (non-pdk/Gen 1) all came loaded with performance and factory options... by comparison, our 968s are actually quite expensive....

5~6 years ago, I believe the 968 was priced extremely well compared to other Porsches....

unfortunately, due to many of the reasons listed below, lately, I've been finding it harder and harder to advocate that this still holds true.

Originally Posted by odurandina
imo, unlike the 944/944T cars that came before, I don't think the full ownership experience of a 968 automatically turns into a bad dream.... but purchasing, driving and maintaining one isn't cheap.

the 968s were an interesting stop on Porsche's evolution from very poorly optioned 80s cars to much better optioned late-90s cars..... but with the 968 tilting more towards the 80s (imo), they left the factory needing a few upgrades to bring them up to acceptable Porsche standard.... but with a little patience and $$$, significant cosmetic, ergonomic and performance improvements can be made....

the cars still cost a fortune to maintain, or time out of your busy schedule for wrenching. [I estimate the maintenance of a 968 (engine bay) can easily top $40,000 for the typical engine life cycle of 250~300 k miles].

the cost of operating and maintaining the rest of the car is very reasonable.

but back to the engine bay: the difference between a well maintained car and a ****box is about 18~25 k miles, or about 1 year of driving. time sitting also brings about the require changing belts, tensioner pulley, seals, hoses, etc.

I wish I was exaggerating on the above points. but, unfortunately, I'm not.

a proper 968 budget (acquisition + upgrades + maintenance for a few years) makes the well-maintained vs poorly maintained little more than a question of when the serpentine/timing system was last serviced.

once that question is answered, add a few thousand dollars more for things like a new AC pump for the next belt go-round, brake/transmission fluids, hp ps hose, caster blocks, and a dozen or so other things that will either be cracking or coming along on a 20 year old 968.
if you like the way the car comes from the factory bone stock or with a few options, you're driving a car that's a considerable improvement over what came before–

but, i happen to be a firm believer that in the Porsche world, average doesn't cut it. life is short... so, there's little to be gained by keeping a non-collectable car stock, especially, if it reduces the driving experience. in the 911 world, guys are upgrading n/a cars with turbo engines/custom/aftermarket/wide-body trim, etc, all the time.... and we have RUF for that very reason.... i love the vastly improved headliners, but I've still got a few bones about the 968 that i find (generally offensive) that we might just as soon discard – but, keep in mind, you always have the option removing the (cheap quality) items and placing them in storage...

i don't see a huge gain with running the M030 for the street, especially with the non-compatibility issues with changing over to big brakes not to mention increasing the number of backaches... but, i love the idea of adding LSD, or Turbo RS wing.... then driving and keeping things up until the engine is dead... and who knows; maybe one day, you can install a better, turbo or V8 engine, update the transmission, etc....

1. 8.5/10" wheels w/ 235-255 mm tires front, 275~285 tires rear just add to the astonishing cornering. save the antique wheels and put the curb rash/abuse on non-oem equipment.

2. big brakes on the front axle. more astonishing cornering and braking out of this world with the big tires.

3. real actual stereo components; cuz the crap that came with the car is..... crap.

4. instrument pane upgrades / https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...-looooong.html

5. a proper 968 CS, or 911/996 steering wheel to eliminate the egregious/hideous factory wheel.

6. a nicer shift **** might be well, "nice."

7. Deutch Nine rear seat delete... for transcon driving, the space this opens up is awesome...

http://www.deutschnine.com/mm5/merch...-aero-dynamics

8. maybe do the door panels and center trim/cassette holder over in leather; and do the dash after next year's refund check....

9. a Turbo S front lip (or od front lip)

more zany stuff;

10. sports seats; 968, 993, 996, Audi, Sparco, sky's the limit.

11. improved 2.5" exhaust with resonator/magnaflow/borla, etc....

12. Turbo S/RS rear wing.

13. 993/968 hybrid fenders w/ oem 993 Xenon Litronics and 6000~8000K lamps.

(some of the purists might say "ricer...." when half the 993 guys are already running 8000~12000k lamps.... seen a 993 running 8000k lamps, and they look awesome. almost regret not getting them myself.... but I decided to stay w/ (DOT approved) 6000K Phillips lamps with just a touch of blue and i'm quite happy.

14. tint the windows and rear hatch glass (will help to reduce UV damage to the interior pieces)....

15. performance chips.

16. suspension upgrades/Paragon Parts/Koni inserts, etc.... not just because you just want to spend more and more and more $$$.... but a sore back is even more fun.

17. Turbo/V8 engine/180~200 mph transmission upgrades....

*just some of my ideas for the 968.... the sky truly is the limit; and you can always mothball the old crap while you taxi onto the runway to prepare your ascent into the Porsche pattern.

as always sorry for more steppin' on toes, etc....

Last edited by odurandina; 04-06-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:01 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by fejjj
I Also, I have no idea what options the car has.
You can always ask me about the options:

RS820616:

LT partial leather in black
XD4 painted crest center caps
437 full power 8 way drivers seat

December 1993 build date so it is a true 1994 with the 993 style seats.

Jeff
Old 04-06-2014, 11:47 AM
biosurfer1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fejjj

Sent a question asking what maintenance the car has had since being removed from storage and what options it had.
We know exactly how the exchange went since it's posted on the bottom of the ad Looks like you weren't the only one to ask and clearly he has no clue about maintenance. I'd say best case scenario you're looking at a 10+ year old timing belt, worst case...it's the original timing belt
Old 04-06-2014, 11:51 AM
TTLATION
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '93 Oak Green 968 FS

What do you consider low mileage? My well sorted '93 has approx. 87,000 mi. (139,500km.)

I am the 3rd. owner have a complete file of all service done since 1993.

If interested please check out details on the Rennlist Canadian forum or the classifieds on the local PCA chapter's website. (pcaucr.com)
Old 04-06-2014, 12:59 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=fejjj;

Could you give me your location PS.My 968 will be coming up for sale shortly,its a CDN model ( 93 -Coupe Amazone Pearl Green ) with 84,000klms,a little over 50,000 miles.Always garage ,last time driven was last November & then went into storage for the winter.Car is in very very good shape.Reason for selling (health problems).Sending you a few pics lol sorry for the size.
Attached Images    
Old 04-06-2014, 01:21 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Gramps, I call cheating. yes, we know your secret... with the warm weather lasting only about a month, it gives you just about enough time to dis-assemble the car, put on a nice polish on all surfaces and put the heap back together..... w/ maybe enough time left over to take her out for a spin.... just before the Great White North re-awakens and roars up a new one.

in any case, I just saved the HD pics !!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:38 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff968
You can always ask me about the options:

RS820616:

LT partial leather in black
XD4 painted crest center caps
437 full power 8 way drivers seat

December 1993 build date so it is a true 1994 with the 993 style seats.

Jeff
Hey Jeff,

As always, thank you very much for all the help you provide to the community.

I was hoping to get the info from the seller so I didn't have to bother you.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:51 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Best of luck

Ernie,
Sorry to hear you are not well...hopefully you will see an improvement.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:20 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 968gene
Ernie,
.....Thanks gene it's my legs & hips which are giving me lot's of problems.

Gramps, I call cheating. yes, we know your secret... with the warm weather lasting only about a month, it gives you just about enough time to dis-assemble the car, put on a nice polish on all surfaces and put the heap back together..... w/ maybe enough time left over to take her out for a spin.... just before the Great White North re-awakens and roars up a new one.

in any case, I just saved the HD pics !!
.....OK young one I,ll be moving down your way & I,ll make something decent out of the mess your driving HI! HI! take care.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:51 PM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 968gene
Ernie,
+111

Donn
Old 04-06-2014, 07:23 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Ernie,

Thank you for posting the pics and I am pretty set on Red.

I don't know you but I am sorry to hear you aren't doing so well.

I will send up a few prayers for you.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:58 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

hi Ernie,

pardon me... I wasn't aware you are having health issues.

If you're in the Boston area and you get the opportunity please pm.

God bless and best wishes for a speedy recovery. you are in my prayers - and everyone's.

od.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 140 Posts

The car is in the Chicagoland area....if you were interested in it, I would be happy to go look at it.

It's grossly over priced....but could be a nice car.

Quick Reply: 968 on eBay