Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Rocker Panel Repair or was it Gasket Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Rocker Panel Repair or was it Gasket Replacement?

I finished the repair, but want to put this link here:

Here is Jeff's PDF guide to performing the replacement. Just click on it to open it, or right click and choose "save target as" to save to you computer.

Jeff's Great Guide for doing the repair CLICK ME!

--------------------------start of original post--------------------------

Oh yes, the reason I am doing this is because the rocker panel gaskets were dried out and pulled out of where they should be.

Additionally, the rocker panels were missing significant hardware, a little on the driver's side and a lot on the passenger side. It appears somebody had "beached" the right side of the car at some point, and there was some previous work on that side that did not include OEM hardware. Here's a few pictures of the right hand side, you'll see that the mounting brackets are completely pushed up, and the forward most part of the main rocker panel is ripped.

Driver's side with only one issue, but it was missing the support on the fend rocker piece, so that was flopping in the wind:

Passenger side, you can see the forward most piece is ripped....I'm glad it was still on the car!:

Here's what the gaskets looked like:

I bought a fiberglass repair kit and fixed the holes, bought it at Pepboys. It's not pretty, but very strong and nobody will ever see it. I didn't even know I had the scrape on the one side of my rocker panel.

Using a pair of pliers, I just bent the body brackets back down and into place. Very simple.

My friend came over last night....his car is pristine. Waiting for some more OEM clips that I didn't order the first time around, have the gaskets on the panels and will be installing later this week.

Last edited by Paul Waterloo; 04-27-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:02 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Paul, I have a writeup on the replacement of rocker gasket seals if you would like it. PM with your email address.

Hey, have that guy move his Honda. It is blocking my view of your beautiful 968!!!
Old 04-23-2014, 03:55 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jeff, I might have the same procedure.....I had saved it from somewhere on the internet....Maybe the "other" forum. Once the software automatically logged me out, haven't been back there.

But if you want to send it to me, paul at audipages dot com

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:30 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Thanks Jeff, I might have the same procedure.....I had saved it from somewhere on the internet....Maybe the "other" forum. Once the software automatically logged me out, haven't been back there.

But if you want to send it to me, paul at audipages dot com

Thanks!
Will do, I'll send it tonight.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:28 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Jeff: Thanks for the procedure, had it, but not with the pictures. Great reference.

I have one question: Where does the rear rocker panel gasket get trimmed?

The front does not get trimmed, and it gets located very obviously as show here:

But where does the rear gasket get trimmed? Does it go past the little vertical plastic piece and trim it adjacent to the end of the front gasket? Or does it get trimmed at the vertical piece, which would then have a slight gap between gaskets. Thanks!

Old 04-24-2014, 11:55 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

I have one more question. Where does item 17 go? I took it off the first side, it kind of ended up in my hand after removing some hardware, but it was not installed on the other side.

I ordered a new one, but can't easily figure it out. Thanks!

Old 04-24-2014, 02:28 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Jeff: Thanks for the procedure, had it, but not with the pictures. Great reference.
Too funny (that the photos have been removed). I don't suppose I have a writing credit on the other site since I put the artcile together with the obvious photos of my car. Where's my lawyer???
Old 04-25-2014, 12:58 AM
JoeH968
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one more question. Where does item 17 go? I took it off the first side, it kind of ended up in my hand after removing some hardware, but it was not installed on the other side.

I ordered a new one, but can't easily figure it out. Thanks!

Sorry I don't have a picture...The rubber gasket wraps around the forward edge of the wheel opening, then back along the inside of the fender. Item 17 is secured to Item 5 with Item 6. Before you tighten Item 6, insert the free end of the rubber gasket between Item 17 and the inside of the fender. As you tighten Item 6, it pinches the free end of the gasket between Item 17 and the inside of the fender, holding that end of the gasket in place.

This may not make sense. Post back if you need to - I can take a picture of mine in the next few days.

Joe
Old 04-25-2014, 08:03 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Joe: Thanks for the info....good thing I ordered another #17 for passenger side as it was not there. Now it make sense.

Question: How much gap is between the front and rear gasket? The rear rocker panel gasket must be trimmed, but I can't figure out how much it should be trimmed. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2014, 09:04 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

I did a search and believe I found it....looks like the gasket is trimmed at the forward part as shown in this picture:

Here is the thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...r-install.html
Old 04-25-2014, 05:41 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jeff, A Big Thank you for sending me the PDF in an email.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 04-25-2014, 11:51 PM
JoeH968
Intermediate

Joe: Thanks for the info....good thing I ordered another #17 for passenger side as it was not there. Now it make sense.

Question: How much gap is between the front and rear gasket? The rear rocker panel gasket must be trimmed, but I can't figure out how much it should be trimmed. Thanks!

Paul -

If it helps, here is a photo of mine, showing the length/position of the rear gasket relative to the front gasket (please excuse the dirt).

It's been a couple years since I did mine, but I don't think I reduced the length of either the front or rear gasket. I believe that, with some effort, you can work from both ends toward the middle and distribute the full length of the rear gasket along the rocker panel trim. I'm not sure, but I think that leaving the gasket as long as possible will counteract the tendency for the gasket to pull out of the inside radius of the rocker panel trim (just in front of the rear wheel) as the gasket ages.

Joe
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2014, 09:41 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

I finished them off Friday night, washed the car, went to a few car events this weekend....the car looks great.

Put the euro corner markers on, fixed the passenger side fog light by gluing the attachment bracket back onto the fog light, now it sits where it should.

Love how the inside looks with the Saratoga top. And I REALLY like driving with it.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Here is Jeff's PDF guide to performing the replacement. Just click on it to open it, or right click and choose "save target as" to save to you computer.

Thanks Jeff!

Jeff's Great Guide for doing the repair CLICK ME!
Old 06-22-2019, 08:09 AM
Black968porboy
3rd Gear

Default Do rockers need to come off to replace molding

Originally Posted by jeff968
Paul, I have a writeup on the replacement of rocker gasket seals if you would like it. PM with your email address.

Hey, have that guy move his Honda. It is blocking my view of your beautiful 968!!!
Do I need to remove the rockers to replace molding or can they be push in on my 92 968 ???

Quick Reply: Rocker Panel Repair or was it Gasket Replacement?