968 Forum 1992-1995

Thinking of Tracking the Car Next Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Thinking of Tracking the Car Next Weekend - Now Track Report

The local Audi club (it seems as I have grown up over the last ten years with these guys) are having their event at Blackhawk Farms, which is near Rockford, IL.

The track is a fun one, no real long straights, but a lot of rhythm sections, which I like more than something like Road America.

It's a two day event, but I can do one day....don't really want to put tons of track time on the car as it just wears it out.....but do want to drive it fast!

I think I will pull the trigger.

Last edited by Paul Waterloo; 06-22-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:59 PM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

The 968 loves a track day, as will your soul. enjoy.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:43 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

FYI to those who are out there and don't change your brake fluid. I used to never change my brake fluid until I started tracking my car many years ago. Now I do it when I change pads due to wear or I'm going for a track weekend.

The fluid in my car was nasty. The last owner changed the pads and I remember that I asked him about changing the fluid and he stated that he had not. Good thing I did it last night. I flushed just short of a liter through the system.

Just going to use the pads that are on the car, they are some type of aftermarket pads. In the end, I don't think the car is going to need massive brakes and I will most likely brake a little early in the hard brake zones vs. wearing everything out.

Here's a procedure to change your brake fluid if you are not familiar with it.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting... I've never drained the reservoir as the first step of the process. Makes sense, though.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:19 AM
MB968
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul, thanks as always for another useful writeup. I too like the idea of getting the reservoir changed out with the shortest distance wheel. That way, as you indicate, you can judge when each wheel is done by looking at volume, since the old fluid in the reservoir has all been replaced already. I'll definitely use this next time.

When I did my clutch with the pressure bleeder (my first use of one), I put a couple of liters in the pressure bleeder and let gravity remove all the air in the lines and the tank. Then I added pressure and bleed the system. I think the only advantage was that I didn't have to keep removing the pressure bleeder to top up the reservoir. Any thoughts?
Old 06-15-2014, 02:27 AM
MB968
Racer

Oh, and I'd say go for the track day. I've yet to get mine out, but plan to later this year after a few more things I want to do to it first. But, I've had a couple of track day rides, one in a 944 turbo, and another in an M3 with the euro spec engine. Both fun rides; definitely got me pointed in that direction.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Track wheels are on the car....washed the car (I do that every week if not more frequent!).....changed the sunroof back to the steel OEM sunroof and am just about ready to go.

Will take some pictures and post the results on the backside!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:02 PM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Track wheels are on the car....washed the car (I do that every week if not more frequent!).....changed the sunroof back to the steel OEM sunroof and am just about ready to go.

Will take some pictures and post the results on the backside!
good luck Paul !

Donn
Old 06-20-2014, 10:46 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blue44
good luck Paul !.......
+1
Old 06-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

So I went to Blackhawk Farms yesterday with the 968....actually drove up there Friday night on the Nitto track tires.....man, are they loud, especially at low speeds!

I was with the Audi club and I was in the intermediate run group, there might of been a few instructors, but not many, mostly experienced drivers with S4's, A4's, a Cayman S....but think mostly heavy weight quattros that use a lot of brake (used to be me!).

I ran three 25 minutes sessions in the morning until the rain started in the afternoon and a car went off track and over a tire barrier/sand berm and into the woods, an older M3. Driver was just fine, and quite frankly, the car wasn't too bad either except for the front and rear bumpers being pulled off.

Then it started raining hard and with R comps on the car, I choose not to go out, packed up and went home.

DID I HAVE SOME FUN! Driving the 968 after driving a heavy Audi with Quattro for my whole life was great....I sure did not get it at first....but it did not take long to figure out how to perform a "ballet" with the car.

I changed the brake fluid, but left whatever pads that were on the car that the previous owner had put on, they were only about 10-15% off original thickness. That was a mistake as they are not track pads.

Three laps into it, the brakes faded like crazy. So what did I do? Brake earlier and less hard.....okay, have that under control almost immediately. Wow, the car actually works better by braking a little early and not as much, imagine that. Turn in speeds increased, need to think more about weight transfer vs. jamming on the brakes like a maniac.

Second session it got much better as I had braking points down....then figuring out that turning the car with the brakes on anything more than just a very low pressure on the brake pedal doesn't work.....then once again turn in speeds picked up, I braked even less. No longer used 2nd gear on the track towards the end of the session, only 3rd and 4th and I usually shifted around 5,500-6,000 RPM as there was no gain from redlining, plus I didn't want anything to happen. The engine seems to create just as much power shifting at a little lower RPM, especially in the areas of the track where I would shift.

On the "rhythm" sections of the track, the 968 is quick and I would always catch up and make up time on people in front of me. On the straights, I would hold my own against the lower power to weight cars, but not with the higher power to weight cars. But then we would be on the rhythm section again and I would soon catch back up.

On the third session, I went out with a new friend right behind his track prepared Audi B5 A4 1.8T. Our cars were very evenly matched with our driving style, but there were a few areas on the track I would always get him.

We bunched up with about 5 cars after about 4 laps, I choose to pit and put distance between myself and everyone else.

The car came to me, my driving style was changing on every lap, and it was more of a ballet in my head. I used less and less brake, turned in at higher speeds, carried more speed through all sections of the track. It was wonderful!

I'm no speed racer (I consider myself more Racer X, LOL), but it wasn't hard to really start to feel how to balance a car vs. a heavy Audi. And it was so interesting how I used less and less brake throughout the event.

I will get a set of track pads for the next event, as there was significant wear on the street compounds, brake dust all over the wheels after each session, and brake fluids level noticeably dropping after each session. I could not of lasted two days on those pads. You can see pad deposits on the rotor, doesn't look anything like a track pad rotor wear after a track day, looks more like a black eraser compound was used on the rotor and got into the nooks and crannies.

I drove home and caught up to the rain on the highway....I was going 45 in the right lane.....tip-toeing on the basic slicks. Here are the tires I ran:

I stopped, waited for the rain to stop, but then chased it all the way home, which is 90 miles....and it was a crazy storm.

Note to self: These tires DO NOT WORK on rain, including while driving home. I don't think I'll ever drive to a track again on tires like these.

I have a set of coil overs for the car.....but I don't know if I will install them as I want to retain the ultimate drivability of the car on the street.

In summary: OMG, IT WAS OUTSTANDING!!!!!
Old 06-22-2014, 01:00 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like fun and nice photos I loved my nitto nt01's.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:23 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice pics! I am instructing at a DE this coming Friday and looking forward to giving my car a go during the open instructor session. It has an alignment scheduled Wednesday and she should be ready to go.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:47 AM
monteolsen1
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, what a great report. Thanks for writing it. The pictures are really good, too.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:20 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

Well done on having a go, and enjoying it.

One tip...I guess I'm starting to be the old hand after 20+ years of track days and comps.....I've seen more cars written off on semi slick tyres on the way home from the events, than on track at the events.....always swap road tyres back on....
Old 06-23-2014, 03:36 PM
CoolShims
Former Vendor

It has always been my impression that it is more dangerous getting to the track than actually racing on the track!

BTW who shot your pictures?

Quick Reply: Thinking of Tracking the Car Next Weekend