968 Forum 1992-1995

Sending a 94 Coupe for PPI

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 01:18 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts
Default Sending a 94 Coupe for PPI

On Monday to John's Foreign Cars. Car is white with tan and black interior 180k miles and everything is supposed to work. he did a timing belt/water pump 2 years ago and was using it as a daily driver until he got a new car recently. John's is supposedly used to working on Porsche and he will spend a full ppi and compression test on the car. If it passes I will transport it home.
It has cup1 wheels and the owner put mo30 sway bars on it. I will let you guys know what results of ppi are.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

wow tough crowd in the 968 forum...56 views not a single comment, no welcomes good luck with ppi or anything(:
Old 07-13-2014, 03:08 AM
monteolsen1
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbodan
wow tough crowd in the 968 forum...56 views not a single comment, no welcomes good luck with ppi or anything(:
I just saw this. I have exactly the same car but with less miles and a 92. You are going to love your car. I have just finished what I hope is the last of the big repairs on mine, and it runs great. Good luck!
Old 07-13-2014, 03:45 AM
V996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it one of the ones on kijiji Dan? What one if so?
Old 07-13-2014, 07:52 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

welcome to 968 ownership.

don't feel bad. it's an eclectic group with an eclectic car... but, just tell all the 944 or 911 owners you got a 968. they'll give you the cold shoulder much worse.

lots of lurkers from God knows where involved in God knows what may read your posts. I came up with an instrument cluster idea last week. got quite a few hits. not even 1 comment (here)... a good number of the readers prolly visit from that other 968 forum. i call them the evil ones... up to no good.

I'm ambivalent about ppi's for 968s. actually, you'd have to tug me pretty hard to order one even for a 996, Boxster or Cayman.... with one of those, I'd just drive around, listen for odd noises, put it up on a lift, check for leaks, inspect the (RMS), and be about done...

I'd buy one... drop the motor, and do the ims.

Last edited by odurandina; 07-13-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:14 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 140 Posts

Best of luck....I have a 160K 93.....but it's in great shape! Runs like a top! Don't expect everything to be absolutely perfect, isn't half the fun doing stuff to it?
Old 07-13-2014, 12:16 PM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome and take it light Dan, you're north of the border so probably hard to find a lot of people who know your car and it's history. Jeff must be on vacation otherwise he would've asked you the last 5 numbers of your vin and told you all about it. we welcome pics of your car too, best of luck...

Donn
Old 07-13-2014, 02:53 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

wow, thanks for the welcoming words. I also realized these posts go on the generic 924/944/951/968 forum and lots of lurkers there.
anyway the car is on autotrader: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...76690958&Log=0
I did pm Jeff and he pm'd me the info on the specifics, nothing too unusual; partial leather, cd changer, body coloured spoiler 1 of 20 with that colour combo.
I have owned numerous Porsches, mostly two white 951s (one for 11 years and the other with cup car stuff for 4 years) so I like white and familiar with these. a friend has a blue with orange stripe race car and a few shops up here are very familiar with 968s.
If the car passes ppi, I am planning on buying sight unseen, or maybe having my Uncle who lives 20 mins away look at it. Car is located in Orange County.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:49 AM
V996
Racer

How are you getting it home? Can you let me know total cost of importation+travel? I'm also looking for 968s but Cali cars always seem way too far to me to consider.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:27 AM
MB968
Racer

Good luck with the PPI, hope it all looks good. But, if you've owned this breed before, you know that there will be things that you'll still find to spend $'s on just due to age, etc.

Be aware that you'll have to pay the import duty if the car was originally imported into the US. Seems to me this can run about a grand.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:46 AM
shinrai
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice cars. I just acquired one off a great gentleman on the East Coast.

Hard to tell from the photos what shape this car is in. Offsets look incorrect on the rear wheels and wiper motor looks pooched. Does it have to be white?
There are a few floating around Canada at the moment and after all said and done it might be easier on your pocketbook.

Good luck with your search Dan.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

duty to import is 6.1%. shipping is $1600 US to Buffalo where I will import it myself. 7-10 days.
ppi is $110 including compression test (shop is very knowledgable and they service this car, price for ppi is great)
car does not have to be white but really like white and love the interior on this one. most of the local ones I have seen are much more expensive and have been exposed to Ontario weather and most not well maintained.
I really think 968s are the next Porsche to show a major increase in price, although just looking to have fun with this one.
I have two young girls (5 & 9) who love riding in my Porsches but my 951 had an engine fire so I have nothing to take them out in. I also am PCA instructor and have nothing to take to the track... so this car will get flogged at Mosport regularly and occassionally at Watkins Glen.
I will need to decide what pads to use at the track on this one and will see if my BBS RS11 in 18" 8&10s will fit (they have yoko 048 on them currently).
PPI will be done at 1 pm California time and I will post details here...fingers crossed.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:53 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

duty to import is 6.1%. shipping is $1600 US to Buffalo where I will import it myself. 7-10 days.
ppi is $110 including compression test (shop is very knowledgable and they service this car, price for ppi is great)
car does not have to be white but really like white and love the interior on this one. most of the local ones I have seen are much more expensive and have been exposed to Ontario weather and most not well maintained.
I really think 968s are the next Porsche to show a major increase in price, although just looking to have fun with this one.
I have two young girls (5 & 9) who love riding in my Porsches but my 951 had an engine fire so I have nothing to take them out in. I also am PCA instructor and have nothing to take to the track... so this car will get flogged at Mosport regularly and occassionally at Watkins Glen.
I will need to decide what pads to use at the track on this one and will see if my BBS RS11 in 18" 8&10s will fit (they have yoko 048 on them currently).
PPI will be done at 1 pm California time and I will post details here...fingers crossed.
Danny,
Welcome. It is summer and things aren't as busy as they usually are here on RL 968 forums but these guys (and gals) are the best on the net when it comes to the 968 so you found the right place. Good luck with the PPI. It sounds like a nice car. Most people prefer those 993 style seats that your coupe has. I totally agree with the you on the future appreciation of the 968 model. It has ALL of the future collector car factors working for it. i also agree it is a great car to enjoy with the family having used my 968 with the kids. Keep in mind, ROW 968s cabriolet's have rear seats and the NA 968 cabs can easily be converted to rear seats if you are interested in a cab.

Good luck and if you become an owner you'll have to join the PCA 968 register.

Jeff
Old 07-14-2014, 07:07 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

thanks for the welcome guys.
results from the ppi are disappointing.
oil pan gasket leaking
lower balance shaft housing leaking
rear crankshaft seal leaking
transmission noisy and leaking needs rebuilding (estimate $2500)
motor mounts (shop recommends core tech oem ones for 225 each)
rear decklid separation
valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals.
total is around 5k so I need to think of my strategy with the seller or if I should just look for another car, I had 2 others I was considering.

Does anyone here know if 944 hatch will fit 968 and if it is difficult to swap the rear wing?
Old 07-14-2014, 08:21 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

The 944 hatch will fit, but it is slightly different in that the 968 hatch has 2 extra tabs that are used to mount the piece under the spoiler that contains the third brake light. It can be dabbed to work. The 968 hatch is a popular "upgrade" for 944 guys and is a straight bolt on for them.

Quick Reply: Sending a 94 Coupe for PPI