Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Rain getting into driver's side foot well, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:15 AM
Chubs_McFunn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain getting into driver's side foot well, Help!

I've searched around on the forum, but I haven't found anyone mentioning this problem on the driver's side. I'm pretty sure the bottom (exit) of the rain drain (or whatever it is called) is plugged. I'm also guessing the bottom of the drain is somewhere under the car near where the door and fender meet, but I couldn't find it when I got under the car.

Here's a bit more info on what's going on: everything stays dry in short light to medium rains. Light steady rains or anything heavier and longer I get water. I can't pinpoint where the water is coming in, but it seems to be coming from the footwell near where the trunk release and hood release switches are, then going to the low point which is the footwell near the clutch pedal. The water seems to channel from behind all the carpeting, then soak up through the carpet and floormat.

I found the exit of the driver's side sunroof drain, it appears clear. I also found the top of a fender drain (next to the fuse box), and it appears clear (I actually ran a straightened cloths hanger down the fender drain). Again, my suspicion is that the bottom of the fender drain is plugged, but I can't find it. Pictures would be very helpful if anyone has them.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2015, 11:16 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

No experience I can remember, but I know 1 point on the passenger side is the battery box rusting out, could it migrated to the drivers if leaking from there?

Another is if the tray fills with water under the windshield (same tray that the battery is in, runs length of the bay, that can back flow I believe.

Last thought, plugged or loose A/C Drain, I think the hose is behind the radio and goes into the torque tunnel. Condensate or Rain ?
Old 05-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Chubs_McFunn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's definitely rain not condensation from the AC. I looked at the passenger side of the engine bay near the battery, and everything looked to be in good shape, no rust, etc. The passenger side drain behind the battery is what almost all of my searches turned up, but I still couldn't find where the bottom of the drain (exit) is.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2015, 07:11 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I can recommend is to fill up the left side in front of the windshield with water and look for the leak. The drain should be cleared first. Next have someone with a water hose spray in front of the driver side windshield. Water leaks can run from one side to the other and can be a PITA to locate just where the water is entering. The sunroof water drains should be cleared using plastic weed eater string to prevent pushing the tube off connection.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 05-07-2015, 09:04 PM
kwikt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your plastic drain tube is disconnected from the metal fitting in the fire wall. It suppose to drain behind the fuse box. Remove the driver side interior windshield post to access the drain tube. Simple fix.

Quick Reply: Rain getting into driver's side foot well, Help!