Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY guys- how do you get your 981 on jack stands?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 02:34 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 570 Posts

Relying ONLY on a jack is a gamble I’d never take. We had one fail. Had been reliable for years and was far more robust than required by the weight of the car. Thankfully jackstands were also in place. No one was in harms way when it failed.

Too risky not to use a proper jack stand. Too much to lose and it takes only a few moments to do it safely.
The following users liked this post:
Schroedinger (11-04-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 03:39 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by WAILN6
10X as much as what?
Quickjacks go on sale every now and then for ~$900 or so. Can be used with different cars!
Liftbars are $350 and are vehicle specific. Then add a low height floor jack and jack stands to that. I'm thinking you are closer to $700 min in a liftbar solution. (I don't use cheap stands or jacks PERIOD. It's your life so why would you spend less on a lifetime jack than ONE tire costs?

I should add that I don't have a liftjack. I have a floor jack and jack stands from 20yrs ago, but I'm thinking more and more about a whole vehicle lift since I have storage issues too.
Good point - when I got my liftbar several years ago it was less expensive, and the Quickjacks were regularly $1400+, now with Costo at $999 and the liftbar at $300 to ship... not that far off. I already had high quality locking jack stands, ramps, a couple good floor jacks.

But at some point I'm going to get a quickjack, agree it makes sense just convenience factor alone.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:19 PM
aarwilli
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a set of liftbars and I love them! Thought about quickjacks but they seem like they are a pain to set up and store when not in use.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:58 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Rip Van Winkle
In my post I sounded like a salesman. Sorry, but my QuickJack is one of my favorite tools. I was looking at two post lifts and it is less than half the cost of one of those. It works great for me; I thought I would share. My race car is on it almost every week. I bought the QuickJack because I got really tired of the time it took to put the car on stands all the time. It is really handy for suspension adjustments. I can lift the car, make an adjustment and quickly lower the whole car to check alignment or corner weights. I also do a lot of brake bleeding and pad changes. I'll never go back.
No need for the extensions, right? The stock length is long enough?
Old 11-05-2019, 03:09 PM
gedwin
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the QuickJack too, the 5000SLX. I use it mostly for my 981, but also for our 2 Honda CRV's. I've done oil changes, brake jobs, header installation, tire changes, etc. And yes, it is very helpful for polishing the car. Regarding storage, I push them in from the sides of the car, and "store" them under the parked 981 in the garage when not in use. That way I don't have to haul them around, and they are out of the way, and ready to go when i need them. More than enough clearance that I never have to worry about hitting the bottom of the car.
lottadot (10-17-2023)
Old 11-05-2019, 09:07 PM
Rip Van Winkle
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kiznarsh - I have a 987.1 and the 5000SLX works great without any extensions. For some of my cars I add 4 of the slotted "hockey pucks" on top of the rubber blocks that are included with the jack for the pinch welds, but they are not needed for the Boxster. Check out the fit guide: https://www.quickjack.com/support/measuring-guide/I found mine on sale last year at Amazon and got free Prime shipping.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:25 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

QuickJack was totally worth it. I used 2 ladder hangers each on the wall with a shelf for the hydraulic unit. yes requires a little muscle to lift them but arguably takes up less floor space than my floor jack. For just getting 2 wheels off the ground, setup is a lot longer than a regular jack but for all 4 work its really great.

or

Old 11-07-2019, 11:25 AM
nb1234
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

From past welding projects, I have some steel tubing that I've turned into my own liftbars. So they are essentially free for me.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:33 AM
txbdan
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 114 Posts

Is there anywhere to store the liftbars inside the car for transport? Most of my jacking is at the track and i can see them being a bit of a hassle to carry around and use several times a weekend. They also require a low profile jack and the most common option is the steel 3T harbor freight one. I have that jack, but its too heavy to lift and carry around to the track. What's wrong with the hockey pucks that fit into the car's slots and just jack normally via rear lift points to put stands under the fronts and then the rear center point?

(I just got the car and haven't actually jacked it up yet... heh)

Thanks
Old 11-09-2019, 09:21 AM
Luftgekühlt911
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a fairly new 981 owner, I went through researching the options as well. I've worked on cars and trucks all my life and after my first oil change, I knew I had to get something. I researched options and watched youtube videos, and ended up with the Quickjack. Takes a few minutes to setup, but lifts the whole car to a nice height and gets all four wheels off the ground. I htought this would be nice for cleaning wheels and bleeding the brakes. The one negative is that they do block one from getting under the car from the sides.

Bought my Quickjack at Costco for $999 and bough 4 reverse logic jack pads off of ebay which I think were another $100. The setup works great.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:28 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by txbdan
Is there anywhere to store the liftbars inside the car for transport? Most of my jacking is at the track and i can see them being a bit of a hassle to carry around and use several times a weekend. They also require a low profile jack and the most common option is the steel 3T harbor freight one. I have that jack, but its too heavy to lift and carry around to the track.
Based on my quick measurements, the bars would just fit in the front passenger seat of my Boxster... but they are big heavy hunks of metal that would need to be secured.

I love 'em in my garage, but I just don't see them as a attractive track-side option.
txbdan (11-09-2019)
Old 07-07-2021, 05:58 PM
indy_chuck
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default new Boxster owner - considering all lifting options

Originally Posted by Luftgekühlt911
As a fairly new 981 owner, I went through researching the options as well. I've worked on cars and trucks all my life and after my first oil change, I knew I had to get something. I researched options and watched youtube videos, and ended up with the Quickjack. Takes a few minutes to setup, but lifts the whole car to a nice height and gets all four wheels off the ground. I htought this would be nice for cleaning wheels and bleeding the brakes. The one negative is that they do block one from getting under the car from the sides.

Bought my Quickjack at Costco for $999 and bough 4 reverse logic jack pads off of ebay which I think were another $100. The setup works great.
First post to the forum, I've been reading many posts and most everyone appears to be quite helpful and pass along great info.

I too am looking for good lifting options for our 2013 Boxster Base, Base should be in all caps . We really like this as our first Porsche, didn't go all in, we'll know down the road what we really want.

I think the lifting and stabilizing of the car is of utmost importance. As a professional tinkerer, I'll definitely be performing a lot of the lower technical maintenance duties (brakes, oil, spark plugs, other bolt on break/fix jobs).

It appears the QuickJack system wins in popularity, would any QuickJack users reconsider? If so, what other method would you have chosen for lifting and jacking?

I'd also like to hear from others that have tried multiple ways and systems that have settled on what their currently doing?

Thanks again all!
Old 07-09-2021, 11:10 AM
Schroedinger
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a set of Liftbars that worked great (I've since sold my car). I looked at Quickjack but it looks to me like more work and more expense vs. Liftbars and jack stands. I'm actually going to list my LIftbars in the Marketplace today.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:20 PM
MMaynard
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by indy_chuck
First post to the forum, I've been reading many posts and most everyone appears to be quite helpful and pass along great info.

I too am looking for good lifting options for our 2013 Boxster Base, Base should be in all caps . We really like this as our first Porsche, didn't go all in, we'll know down the road what we really want.

I think the lifting and stabilizing of the car is of utmost importance. As a professional tinkerer, I'll definitely be performing a lot of the lower technical maintenance duties (brakes, oil, spark plugs, other bolt on break/fix jobs).

It appears the QuickJack system wins in popularity, would any QuickJack users reconsider? If so, what other method would you have chosen for lifting and jacking?

I'd also like to hear from others that have tried multiple ways and systems that have settled on what their currently doing?

Thanks again all!
I would buy my Quickjack again if I did not already have one. I have saved my back and my money doing brakes and oil changes alone.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:25 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by indy_chuck
...It appears the QuickJack system wins in popularity, would any QuickJack users reconsider? If so, what other method would you have chosen for lifting and jacking?

Thanks again all!
Welcome to the forum! Check out this post I made about lifting our cars. If I were to go back in time with my knowledge, I would have bought the quick jack. It's the least labor intensive way to lift a car.

Quick Reply: DIY guys- how do you get your 981 on jack stands?