Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY guys- how do you get your 981 on jack stands?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 09:30 PM
Schroedinger
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
Default DIY guys- how do you get your 981 on jack stands?

I’ve been researching this for a while, and I’m getting a lot of conflicting information. There are four factory jacking points, which is where the jack stands need to end up. Seems that jacking the rear underneath the sway bar mounts is also safe. So it seems like the order of steps that makes sense is:

- jack the entire driver side up from the rear jack point.
- put the front jack stand under the front jack point.
- release jack, move to drivers side sway bar point, lift a little and put 2nd jack stand under rear jack point.
- repeat steps on other side.

Anyone care to share their sequence of steps? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:12 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Schroedinger
I’ve been researching this for a while, and I’m getting a lot of conflicting information. There are four factory jacking points, which is where the jack stands need to end up. Seems that jacking the rear underneath the sway bar mounts is also safe. So it seems like the order of steps that makes sense is:

- jack the entire driver side up from the rear jack point.
- put the front jack stand under the front jack point.
- release jack, move to drivers side sway bar point, lift a little and put 2nd jack stand under rear jack point.
- repeat steps on other side.

Anyone care to share their sequence of steps? Thanks in advance.
https://www.planet-9.com/threads/get...-stands.84777/

Do a YouTube or google search on “ RennStand:

Also, search Jack Point jack stands.

http://www.jackpointjackstands.com

The following users liked this post:
Schroedinger (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 07:44 AM
Schroedinger
Rennlist Member

Thanks for posting. I have seen both of those products/videos; look nice, but is there any way to do it without Porsche-specific jack stands? They’re not cheap, and it looks like they don’t get the car very high off the ground.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:45 AM
BudgetPlan1
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks for posting. I have seen both of those products/videos; look nice, but is there any way to do it without Porsche-specific jack stands? They’re not cheap, and it looks like they don’t get the car very high off the ground.
I snatched 2 of the Rennstands, used 2 'normal' jackstands for fronts. Drove rear up on short sections of 2x6 to get enough height to get low profile/rennstand upper section under rear jacking, jacked up rear which raised front up as well, put jackstand under front jacking point, assembled Rennstand under rear. Repeat on other side and had the whole thing up and securely on stands in about 15 minutes. Our 2016 981 Cayman has the factory SPort Suspension with 20mm drop so only 4.25" off the ground, thus the need to drive up on 4x6 to get enough room. Rennstands can get ya pretty high off ground (relatively)

Didn't really wanna spend the $$ on the Rennstands but in the end, seemed the safest and easiest way to go. Some pics here from when I was jacking up and removing all 4 wheels to coat them: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/so..._Detail_Wheels

Some folks do indeed jack from central points, some company out there (fabspeed) makes something that bolts to central rear suspension point to be used as jacking point but opinions vary and ultimate appropriateness seems to be up to the individual:

There is another company that makes frame rails for jacking as well, (liftbars) was slightly less expensive than the Rennstands:

Old 10-21-2019, 08:52 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,147 Likes on 630 Posts

quick jack
The following 3 users liked this post by garfunkle:
Euro Garage (11-09-2019), HooosierDaddy (10-26-2019), OC_Cayman (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 10:54 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

My current recipe for success...

1 set Liftbars + 1 very low profile floor jack + 2 sets of jack stands = most complete and safest under-car set-up I've ever had short of a professional lift.

If you go this route, be sure to get the type of stands called for on the liftbars.com site (they fit the bar, not the car). The pic above shows flat-top stands, not for use with liftbars.

Of course, one must follow all instructions and safety procedures.

I like this set up as there is no guessing at "alternative" lift points, no bolt-on adds to the car, uses only the factory lift points as designed by Porsche.

I use them now for everything requiring under-car work. Wish I had found them sooner. Would have saved a lot of time and hassle.

It was an investment, likely about $400 all in. No commercial interest, just a happy customer.

Good luck!

Last edited by Dave in Chicago; 10-21-2019 at 11:27 AM. Reason: format
The following 2 users liked this post by Dave in Chicago:
BudgetPlan1 (10-21-2019), Schroedinger (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 11:08 AM
9~factor
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Race Ramps. Easiest and safest.

https://www.raceramps.com/garage-ser...xt-race-ramps/
Old 10-21-2019, 11:10 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/get...-stands.84777/

Yup, this is how I do it: (Reference link has already been mentioned in earlier post)

Summary:
  1. Set parking brake. Chock passenger side front and rear wheels.
  2. Jack driver's side from rear jack point.
  3. Place jackstand under driver side front jack point.
  4. Place 4x6 wood block (2 pieces of 2x6 put together; use 4" side) under driver's side rear tire.
  5. Release jack from driver's side rear jack point.
  6. Move over to passenger side and lift from rear jack point.
  7. Place jackstand under passenger side front jack point.
  8. Place another 4x6 block under passenger side rear tire.
  9. Release jack and move to rear jack point at sway bar attachment. Lift from there til rear wheels free and place jack stands under rear jack points.

Now the car's up on 4 jack stands. I always test with some pushing and shoving to make sure it's stable. I also leave the wood blocks under the rear wheels and the jack contacting (but not load bearing) the rear sway bar jack point as emergency supports if a jack stand should fail (has never happened so far).

Standard disclaimer about how you'd be foolish to take my advice and should thoroughly research this before attempting to do yourself. Never do anything you're not completely comfortable with. Nothing in this post suggests or recommends that YOU should do this; this post is merely a description of what I do.

Last edited by DrBillyD; 10-21-2019 at 03:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DrBillyD:
pedal bliss (10-19-2023), Schroedinger (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 11:25 AM
Schroedinger
Rennlist Member

From what I can tell the Liftbar setup probably meets my needs the best. I already have a low profile HF jack and four axle stands. The bars themselves are decently priced, and this setup would let me get the car pretty high in the air if necessary. Thanks all!

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
My current recipe for success...

1 set Liftbars + 1 very low profile floor jack + 2 sets of jack stands = most complete and safest under-car set-up I've ever had short of a professional lift.

If you go this route, be sure to get the type of stands called for on the liftbars.com site (they fit the bar, not the car). The pic above shows flat-top stands, not for use with liftbars.

No guessing at "alternative" lift points, no bolt-on adds to the car, uses only the factory lift points as designed by Porsche.

I use them now for everything requiring under-car work. Wish I had found them sooner. Would have saved a lot of time and hassle.

It was an investment, likely about $400 all in. No commercial interest, just a happy customer.

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2019, 11:27 AM
Schroedinger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9~factor
For most of the jobs I want to do, ramps aren't ideal. First issue is that the wheels need to be on the car, which eliminates brake and suspension work. Second issue is that the whole motor is tilted, so even for oil changes it's hard to get the whole pan to drain. They are a lot more convenient though!
Old 10-21-2019, 11:53 AM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 301 Posts

I lift it exactly like DrBillyD
Well written.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:05 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

From what I can tell the Liftbar setup probably meets my needs the best. I already have a low profile HF jack and four axle stands. The bars themselves are decently priced, and this setup would let me get the car pretty high in the air if necessary. Thanks all!
Yeah, with this set-up, I can even use my creeper vs sliding around on the ground, which is nice. So far, so good.

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2019, 02:22 PM
OC_Cayman
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I did the full Monte and bought a set of QuickJacks. They're more expensive for sure, but IMO they are by far the safest solution (short of a real lift) and require the least effort.. Besides, it doesn't take very many oil changes to justify the cost of the QJs as compared to having an independent (much less a dealer!) do it for you.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:24 PM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For most of the jobs I want to do, ramps aren't ideal. First issue is that the wheels need to be on the car, which eliminates brake and suspension work. Second issue is that the whole motor is tilted, so even for oil changes it's hard to get the whole pan to drain. They are a lot more convenient though!
I use race ramp wheel cribs. Jack up each corner and place a crib under each wheel. Doesn’t help with brake and suspension work as you mentioned but does help with other work under the car and keeps it level.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:53 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
quick jack
Originally Posted by OC_Cayman
I did the full Monte and bought a set of QuickJacks. They're more expensive for sure, but IMO they are by far the safest solution (short of a real lift) and require the least effort.. Besides, it doesn't take very many oil changes to justify the cost of the QJs as compared to having an independent (much less a dealer!) do it for you.
Ditto. Love my QuickJack.
cavediver32043 (11-08-2019)

Quick Reply: DIY guys- how do you get your 981 on jack stands?