Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 GTS Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 02:54 PM
SturmZoot
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ElusiveDaveH
I see Super Street is loaded this year and A Street is thin.

If I recall the SCCA rules correctly, you have some additional choices for wheel diameter down to 18" for the GTS. I believe they offered a winter tire package as an option which allows for lighter wheels and more tire choices. This will also help your gearing with PDK if you can lower the car with the right tire cross section height.

BTW, what's the tire of choice these days?
Tire choice in that class seems to be between Yokohama (not sure which Yokohama) and Bridgestone RE71r.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:45 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 880 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by rennedescartes
@SoCal-NSX
Is this really a good price on this? ~65k for a 2016 (72% of MSRP) with not super-low mileage seems high to me, but I'm new to Porsche buying... Are GTS's holding their value extremely well?
yes, the GTS hold their value pretty well...$65k seems to be the low end right now on prices...and that Carrera White one is a perfect spec for my taste.

original sticker with options on that car was about $91,000

so for $65,000 with 23k Miles is a good price if everything checks out.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:52 PM
SturmZoot
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
PTV was also a standalone option on PDK 981 GTS. Ordered my 981 GTS with PDK and PTV, glad I did. When PTV kicks in it feels like the Hand of God helps you turn, plus limited slip, a must have IMO. I also prefer PASM over the cheaper, non-adjustable at the press of a button, X73. If tracking would add a DSC controller, which is not available for X73. NFS until my Spyder order is firm. Good luck with your search.
I’ve lost track of new Spyder and New GT4 production dates, but please check back if you get word.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:19 PM
Baked Ziti
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SturmZoot
Chicagoland. What’s up?
Da Bears

Fellow Chicagolander myself.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:24 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
My GTS has all the options you mentioned but PTV is the one I could've done without - for track use definitely. While slightly more expensive, having a professional install a guards LSD on a non-PTV car would be the superior option IMO.
From Matt at GTgears:

"Hello Bill,

A car without PTV has an open differential in it. It relies 100% on electronics to assist with traction control, though abs actuation on individual wheels. We do make an LSD to retrofit to those cars, but we don't consider it a motorsports item in the same way that we do our other products. Porsche/ZF didn't leave us a lot of real estate to work with and we had to make a tiny little LSD. It works just fine, but on a long track session it will get really hot, and the PDKs HATE heat. we always tell people building a racecar to get a PTV vehicle and then install our "big" PDK. It's a totally different beast, and while you would want a cooler on your gearbox for any track work at all, the big diff doesn't run as hot.

Regards,

Matt"
Old 01-06-2020, 11:45 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
From Matt at GTgears:

"Hello Bill,

A car without PTV has an open differential in it. It relies 100% on electronics to assist with traction control, though abs actuation on individual wheels. We do make an LSD to retrofit to those cars, but we don't consider it a motorsports item in the same way that we do our other products. Porsche/ZF didn't leave us a lot of real estate to work with and we had to make a tiny little LSD. It works just fine, but on a long track session it will get really hot, and the PDKs HATE heat. we always tell people building a racecar to get a PTV vehicle and then install our "big" PDK. It's a totally different beast, and while you would want a cooler on your gearbox for any track work at all, the big diff doesn't run as hot.

Regards,

Matt"
I think you have a typo. Wouldn't that be their "big" LSD?
Old 01-06-2020, 12:09 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvanpelt729
Out of curiosity, since you're always talking about how cheap and inferior the X73 is to PASM (and I believe the only person I've heard that doesn't find the X73 amazing), how much money do you save by getting X73 on a GTS? Or asked another way, since PASM is so amazing and expensive, how much more did you pay to get it on your GTS?
Rhetorical questions or are you a newbie? In either case let's look at facts. Standalone X73 is a cheaper option than standalone PASM on any Porsche. Hmmm ... PASM was standard as part of the 981 GTS package, was standard on 911 S, 911 GTS, 911 Turbo, and 911 Turbo S models. Hmmm 2.0 ... wonder why? Because PASM is better for most all pcar owners in most all situations. A more supple ride for day to day roads, a more track focused suspension at the press of a button. With the development of the DSC PASM controller, it's not even a fair fight on the track. Will never order a Porsche with X73, will never order a Porsche without PASM. Some prefer the less compliant, cheaper, non-adjustable ride, the more it sucks the more they love it. Thankfully not me, I outgrew that.

If you need other rhetorical / newbie questions answered, don't hesitate to ask.
The following users liked this post:
BudgetPlan1 (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 12:22 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Rhetorical questions or are you a newbie? In either case let's look at facts. Standalone X73 is a cheaper option than standalone PASM on any Porsche. Hmmm ... PASM was standard as part of the 981 GTS package, was standard on 911 S, 911 GTS, 911 Turbo, and 911 Turbo S models. Hmmm 2.0 ... wonder why? Because PASM is better for most all pcar owners in most all situations. A more supple ride for day to day roads, a more track focused suspension at the press of a button. With the development of the DSC PASM controller, it's not even a fair fight on the track. Will never order a Porsche with X73, will never order a Porsche without PASM. Some prefer the less compliant, cheaper, non-adjustable ride, the more it sucks the more they love it. Thankfully not me, I outgrew that.

If you need other rhetorical / newbie questions answered, don't hesitate to ask.
This isn't exactly how it worked for the 981 generation. There were three suspension options:

1. Standard non-adjustable suspension.
2. $1,790 PASM suspension. 10mm lower than standard suspension.
3. $1,235 X73 Sport Suspension. 20mm lower than the standard suspension.

The GTS models came with PASM standard. X73 Sport Suspension was a no cost option.

PASM was the most comfortable suspension, and best for most scenarios. X73 Sport Suspension was the ultimate performance suspension.

Things changed a bit with the 718 generation, though there are still three options.

1. Standard suspension.
2. PASM suspension.
3. PASM Sport suspension.

PASM Sport is the ultimate performance suspension, and is the equivalent of the 981's X73 Sport Suspension.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:49 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
PASM Sport is the ultimate performance suspension, and is the equivalent of the 981's X73 Sport Suspension.
Did Porsche supply different anti-roll bars for PASM Sport versus PASM? If not, then I'd say then it's not the complete package that was X73 as X73 also included thicker anti-roll bars. I really don't know why some prefer PASM. In every Porsche I've owned with PASM, the sport setting was useless and all but completely eliminates shock travel (even on a track the suspension needs to travel). But then again, Porsche's PASM controllers are most likely the issue. With an aftermarket PASM controller, perhaps PASM is the equal of X73 in how well the suspension dampens?? With a stock controller, no way. I'll soon know once I receive my PASM controller for my GT4 (on backorder from DSC).

Last edited by MidEngineRules; 01-06-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:06 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Did Porsche supply different anti-roll bars for PASM Sport versus PASM? If not, then I'd say then it's not the complete package that was X73 as X73 also included thicker anti-roll bars.
Yes.

PASM Sport has different front and rear bars as well as shorter, stiffer springs.

PASM Sport is 10mm lower than standard PASM and 20mm lower than the standard suspension.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:25 PM
Lvanpelt729
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes, it was rhetorical. But you still didn't answer the question. And I've owned both. PASM is worse in either setting than X73. Too soft or too hard. X73 is just right.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:40 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,508 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
From Matt at GTgears:

"Hello Bill,

Regards,

Matt"
Heat is always going to be a problem. My PTV car would go into PDK overheat limp mode 15 mins into a race in mild weather until we added an extra cooler. So if you're doing racing you need to upgrade cooling anyway. On something like autocross like the OP seems to be doing I don't think this would be an issue. As they say, the functionality of their diff is fine.

What I don't like about PTV is the way it grabs the rear brakes. With very grippy tires it slows you down quite a bit coming out of corners. On slicks it slows you down SO much that the only solution is to go PSM off completely which is not always ideal for everyone.

Quick Reply: 981 GTS Options