Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Apple CarPlay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 08:17 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 451 Posts
Default 981 Apple CarPlay?

Apologies if addressed, but haven’t found any information in searching ...

Has anyone confirmed aftermarket functionality of a CarPlay capable head unit in a 981?Looking to add a Kenwood or Apline unit, and would assume a harness adapter exists, but can’t get any reputable outfits (Crutchfield, etc.) to confirm.

Any input is much appreciated.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:39 AM
Cequence
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Not done it myself but there is options to add CarPlay /Adroid Auto to the original unit.
Found the thread on Porsche GB and also seen it on Porsche SE.

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1009017
and link to one of the vendors, this there is on Ebay aswell.
https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto

Old 02-25-2020, 11:43 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cequence
Hi,

Not done it myself but there is options to add CarPlay /Adroid Auto to the original unit.
Found the thread on Porsche GB and also seen it on Porsche SE.

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1009017
and link to one of the vendors, this there is on Ebay aswell.
https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto
Thanks. Unfortunately, my GT4 didn't come with the PCM 3.1 unit with NAV and iPhone AUX capability, so I don't think that kit will work. Hence my looking to replace the head unit altogether with something that I know has full wireless CarPlay functionality.

Appreciate the link, though!
Old 02-25-2020, 12:22 PM
Pdog981
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
Thanks. Unfortunately, my GT4 didn't come with the PCM 3.1 unit with NAV and iPhone AUX capability, so I don't think that kit will work. Hence my looking to replace the head unit altogether with something that I know has full wireless CarPlay functionality.

Appreciate the link, though!
the UK solution also works with the CDR unit.

im in the same boat as you, I bought a PCM off eBay. And I’m going to try and install that. I like the look of OEM.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:40 PM
DBKY
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
Apologies if addressed, but haven’t found any information in searching ...

Has anyone confirmed aftermarket functionality of a CarPlay capable head unit in a 981?Looking to add a Kenwood or Apline unit, and would assume a harness adapter exists, but can’t get any reputable outfits (Crutchfield, etc.) to confirm.

Any input is much appreciated.
I have a 987.2, but I'm using this in my Boxster: https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...EX/AVH-4200NEX. Works great. That model is discontinued but I'm sure there is a current model that will work.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:29 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

I am looking for the same solution for wife’s Boxster with a base CDR, no NAV unit. A head unit replacement with Apple Carplay is easy, there are a lot that will fit but getting the steering wheel controls to work has been the stumbling block for me. I have not found an adapter or script for the existing adapters like iDataLink Maestro that support Porsche.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:36 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CDinSing
I am looking for the same solution for wife’s Boxster with a base CDR, no NAV unit. A head unit replacement with Apple Carplay is easy, there are a lot that will fit but getting the steering wheel controls to work has been the stumbling block for me. I have not found an adapter or script for the existing adapters like iDataLink Maestro that support Porsche.
I have a local car audio retailer looking into solutions, and will update with what I learn. The gist seems to be that the market for replacing / retrofitting these cars with aftermarket head units is so small, or so complex and expensive, that no one has yet put a tried and trued solution out there.

The UK solution referenced above does NOT work with CDR. I emailed them and they confirmed it only works on PCM cars that have NAV and MAPS functionality.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:09 PM
johnkuz
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

When i contracted the folks in the uk they said they could not ship to us. Not sure if that has changed but please keep us apprised if you find a solution. I suspect many of us are interested and if they are like me have just given up
Old 02-25-2020, 05:46 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 791 Posts

My '18 Camry didn't come with CarPlay but instead used a crappy proprietary system called Entune. It sucked. In response to owner complaints, Toyota developed a software flash that added CarPlay and charged a whopping $60 for it. Gotta love Toyota. They all could do it. But they don't.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:16 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced the oem (US) base GT4 head unit with a Kenwood DNX995S head unit including Garmin Nav, Car Play, HD radio, Pandora, etc. and both front and rear cameras. Mine was professionally installed so I can't help with the level of difficulty. Obviously, it can be done.

Given the ambient noise level in a GT4 I left the oem speakers. Very pleased with the result.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:32 AM
Cequence
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not spoken to these ppl, but what I can´t find anything that it should not work.
https://www.naviplus.com.au/online-s...kage-p91428805
https://www.unichip-tec.com/Porsche_...e_CarPlay.html

Is the CDR version not a PCM 3.1 system ?
Old 02-26-2020, 11:52 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STLPCA
I replaced the oem (US) base GT4 head unit with a Kenwood DNX995S head unit including Garmin Nav, Car Play, HD radio, Pandora, etc. and both front and rear cameras. Mine was professionally installed so I can't help with the level of difficulty. Obviously, it can be done.

Given the ambient noise level in a GT4 I left the oem speakers. Very pleased with the result.
Can you ask your installer what harness adapters were required / where sourced?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2020, 12:56 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Any pictures?
Old 02-26-2020, 05:35 PM
Four Ring Circus
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

I have been considering parking cameras for my very tight garage spot (and sometime street parallel parking). It probably makes more sense to replace the head unit with something more modern at the same time (I have the base CDR). Care to share the total costs for your installation? Thanks so much.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:45 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 791 Posts

Do these 981's have the "right mirror tilt down on reverse" capability? I could have used that before I kissed a curb with my right rear wheel and almost cried.