Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FVD Software Flash for 981 S

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 06:44 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,508 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by storii
Actually, Fabspeed is claiming "100% guaranteed 7-8 hp gain" in the following video (1:12):
Heh, guess I'm behind the times. I remember the guy from FS on here years ago saying they did find a few HP on the dyno but weren't advertising it. He's long gone though and the new ones seem a bit different then.

Are you pointing out just the IPD plenum for the 2.7/3.4L? Or you think the 82 mm TB is also pointless?
Their plenum mates specifically to the 82mm throttle, and I do think it's pointless. The TB is simply not undersized to begin with for the smaller engines and only a little on the 3.8 GT4.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:59 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Their plenum mates specifically to the 82mm throttle, and I do think it's pointless. The TB is simply not undersized to begin with for the smaller engines and only a little on the 3.8 GT4.
I see. I know the 2.7/3.4L engines in stock form are restricted in way of limiting the TB opening. At >5500 rpm, the TB is only allowed to open 55-65%. The FVD tune removes this restriction and allows the TB to open 100% (most likely all other tunes would do the same). I feel this alone is a huge improvement in the intake and adding the sport headers will facilitate the engine to take full advantage of this increased air flow. I am thinking this is the reason many on this forum feel headers and a tune are the best mods one can do to the 2.7/3.4L cars.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:57 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Found a nice write up about the FVD Sport Headers by Rhonda in another thread. This is from April 2019:

Originally Posted by Rhonda@FVD
Thanks for your interest in our products and I would be happy to assist you with your concerns about our headers. I don’t often have time to spend on the forums which I adore, but I see that we really don’t have a lot of information for you currently online for our headers, so I think it is important that your valid point about pricing and how we stack up to the competition is addressed. Our exhaust components are manufactured by M&M Exhaust GmbH who make current and past RSR and Cup R systems for the POMO in Weissach. There is a simple reason why POMO use M&M, power and longevity. Both are keys to success on the track and both translate perfectly to street use, light track use or full race use.

FVD Brombacher headers and exhaust components are more expensive for a few reasons.
1. They are made in Germany. Each is hand made by some of the same welders making the RSR and Cup R exhausts, so you get their expertise with each weld.

2. FVD headers are manufactured in lightweight German V2A - X5CrNi18-10 - 1.4301 stainless steel for improved durability.

3. Our headers include a laser cut double plated flange that mates to the engine block. This flange dissipates heat and vibration more efficiently and consequently does not warp like thicker single plate flanges commonly used by our competition. This small advancement is time consuming to make but is added in order to prevent loss of power over time and will ensure years of trouble-free operation even under severe track conditions.

4. Inlets ports are hand-ported and Tig-welded for optimized flow. The time spent hand porting the primary tubing inlets is time consuming but means that the flow is matched to the engine, so flow is optimized and laminar.

5. Our primary tubing is mandrel bent then segmented and welded. It is not a continuous “mandrel bent” section like our competition’s headers. Mandrel bent headers have been proven to crack under the severe stresses found on the race track during severe endurance events. The mandrel bending process stresses and thins the material, thinner walls are the weakest point and under high heat and vibration will be the first area to crack. Our primary tubing is segmented and welded under pressure with the use of forming gas. Forming gas pressurizes the area being welded to create a smooth inner surface. This means that material walls in the bend are consistent and strong, ensuring reliability. But we don’t stop there, once the segmenting is completed, a tool is passed inside the header, which will grinds away any left-over slag and ports are again gone over by hand. This process produces extremely durable headers with superior strength that ensures higher gas velocity and less exhaust gas restriction.

6. The primary header piping used is a larger diameter and incorporates a motorsports style merge collector. The collector smooth’s out exhaust flow and turbulence created from the 3 primary pipes merging into one. Collectors create more velocity, which reduces backpressure and creates torque. Many exhaust manufacturers use “pyramid style” collectors or leave raw open-ended tubes, which create more turbulence. Pyramid style collectors do a slightly better job than a raw tube, but they still force air towards the flange. Our systems collector gently guides exhaust gases from the walls of the piping towards the center and lowest point of the tubing. This design compensates for a longer length tube regarding performance but means that you also have less weight. It also dramatically reduces power robbing turbulence and increases the volume of gas and gas velocity which translates into superior low end and mid-range torque.

7. The catalytic cores used in this system are the most advanced in the industry. They are produced by HJS in Germany and are a 200 CPSI (cell per square inch) double foil wound design also referred to as “HF” or HF Design. HF double foil wound cats are some of the freest flowing and environmentally friendly aftermarket cats produced today. HF catalytic converters perform the necessary and mandated reactions to prevent pollution. Reduction of nitrogen oxides to nitrogen and oxygen, oxidation of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide and oxidation of unburnt hydrocarbons to carbon dioxide and water simultaneously. HJS “HF” cores are more expensive but they equate to higher flow and durability for track and street use. Many of our competition simply state the cells per square inch or “German Cats” or even HJS but they are not specific with the model of converter. This portion of any exhaust system is THE MOST EXPENSIVE component. We have always chosen to include the best cores available on the market (long before most of the competition did in fact) to ensure years of trouble-free operation, reduce weight, increase horsepower and protect the environment.

I could get into the vast complications of having our parts TÜV approved in Germany and why that should really be first on this short list, but I think this will give you a good lead in to our products. Also, FVD Brombacher has been tuning the Porsche brand only since 1983. We are in the Baden Württemberg region in Germany, so we deal directly with lead engineers from Porsche, Porsche OEM manufacturers and Motorsport manufacturers. Since we import all our exhaust items from Germany, we don’t have large mark ups like many of our competition. So big names don’t tend to carry our exhaust products, but rest assured they know who to use when they want to win races.

If you have any questions at all please feel free to contact me.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:04 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Finally got the FVD Sport Headers installed today after a month and over 500 miles of driving with just the FVD tune alone. I knew it would be hours before the car fully adapts to the new files so my expectations weren't that high when I picked the car up. Boy, was I wrong! From the get go, the car felt very different to me. It felt like it had lost a couple hundred pounds of weight. On my way home from the installer, I had to drive a local road for 10 miles or so before I could hop onto the interstate. It was a light stop-and-go traffic which only allowed me to go up to 50 mph. It was hard to rev the engine past 4000 rpm at any given moment unless I drove like a manic. But the car felt crisp and nimble and responded very well to the throttle input at relatively low RPM range. I thought the feel represented the increased low to mid range torque. As I merged onto the interstate, I pushed it to the redline in the third gear and oh boy, the car was so wicked FAST!! The power just kept coming all the way to the redline and it felt like the car wanted to keep going. It reminded me of the way the Formula Ford that I used to have accelerated. At 900 lbs and 150 hp, it was the most powerful car I ever owned as far as the power-to-weight ratio goes. The way it accelerated was just incomparable to any production cars I've ever driven. When I bought the Boxster, I noticed it was very similarly configured to the Formula Ford with the engine right behind the driver and the transmission behind the engine and thus the rear wheels pushed away from the driver. However, probably due to the huge difference in the power-to-weight ratio, the Boxster felt big and relatively slow. Now, with the tune and the headers, it feels closer to the way the Formula Ford felt.

With the tune alone, the car became quicker and more fun to drive than stock mainly because of the quicker throttle response and free and fast spinning nature of the engine. The tune also made me feel good about freeing the car from the restrictions that the factory bound it by. Now I feel the headers added substance to the feel and made the already quick car FAST. The tune allowed the throttle body to open fully and as the result more air (and fuel) gets rushed into the cylinders. Now the headers lessen the restrictions on the exhaust end and help to get rid of the exhaust gas faster. Now the both intake and exhaust compliment each other and are working together to make the car powerful and fast. I think the tune and the headers complete each other.

As far as the sound goes, the headers didn't make the car any louder at idle or cruising speed. However, when you step on it and go above 5000-5500 rpm, it gets LOUD! After I exited from the interstate I had to stop at a red light and I was the first in line. When the light turned green, I pushed it to the redline in the first gear and boy it was thunderously LOUD! I'm sure every LEO in the vicinity turned their heads to see what the heck it was. Interesting thing is that, with headers, the difference in the sound between each mode (PSE off/PSE on/Sport on) became more pronounced than stock or tune alone. With the PSE off, the car is pretty much as quiet as stock. With the PSE on, it is a bit louder than when the car was with the tune alone. Now, with Sport on, the car is noticeably louder than before. In any mode, it is never obnoxious but I feel the crackles and pops got further aggressive with the headers on. It still can be quieted down by turning the Sport mode off, but I may ask FVD to subdued it some if it gets old.

Over all, I am very happy with the mods. I know more power is to be had as the car fully adapts to the new tune. However, I will be just as happy if there is no more power gain from here on. As I stated in the very beginning of this thread, my goal is not to squeeze every ounce of power from this engine. I think the car has already transformed enough to become such a thrill to drive. I think I will enjoy this car for a very long time.
The following 4 users liked this post by storii:
Chrismalberts (08-14-2020), masti99 (09-09-2020), pdds (08-24-2020), Rhonda@FVD (08-14-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 12:25 AM
st981
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Awesome, I can tell from your post you're completely satisfied with the way the car performs now with the headers plus the matching tune. Sounds like it was money well spent!
Old 08-12-2020, 02:02 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by st981
Awesome, I can tell from your post you're completely satisfied with the way the car performs now with the headers plus the matching tune. Sounds like it was money well spent!
Thanks! Yup, it was money well spent. The discounts helped, too.

Here are some pics of the Soul X-Pipe. The installer said it was more work to put it on than the headers.

The following users liked this post:
masti99 (09-09-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 10:48 AM
michaelscain
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I also have a 981BS and recently installed the same 2 mods = FVD Tune and FVD Sport Headers.

1. https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD9811001...hp-291-tq.html

2. https://www.fvd.net/de-en/BES9811120...sportcats.html

A share the same driving experience as the previous post.

These are essential mods (370hp) for all 981S owners.

Last edited by michaelscain; 08-14-2020 at 11:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rhonda@FVD (08-14-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 11:00 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

The Soul X-Pipe looks very well built but is tad heavy. My kitchen scale says 6 lbs 12 oz. I will weigh the stock unit once it's removed from the car and compare.

The stock tail pipes weigh only 4 lbs 15 oz. On the other hand, at 6 lbs 12 oz, the Soul X-Pipe is almost 2 lbs heavier than stock! Not recommended to those who are weight conscious.

Old 08-24-2020, 01:51 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

It’s been about 2 weeks since the headers and the new tune were installed and I have put over 300 miles on the car. I believe the car has fully adapted to the new file and all the power to be had has been gained by now. The car is such a joy to drive. The power delivery is so smooth that I can step on it at any RPM or speed and the car will just pull hard without a hint of hesitation.

What I noticed as the headers started breaking in was a change in the sound. The exhaust note gained nice throatiness and more bass. The throatiness is there even at idle or cruising speed. This is an added bonus for me because I like exhaust sound with a presence. It is not too loud at all at the low to mid RPM range but the very pleasant note is still there. It screams wildly beyond 6000 rpm or so. Over all, I am very happy with what the headers has done to the sound of the car.

By far, the tune and the sport headers are the best mods I have done to the car. To be honest, I was a bit surprised how much changes they actually made to an NA car. I am glad I chose FVD. Their tune alone made very noticeable changes and the headers really woke up the car. With their generous discount program, the FVD (M&M) headers are not much more expensive than the counterparts from Fabspeed or Soul. I will do this again in a heartbeat and recommend these mods to any 981 Boxster S owners who are looking for a reliable power gain and intoxicating exhaust note.

The next mod on the list? A good radar detector!
Old 09-09-2020, 02:50 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 593 Likes on 333 Posts

I had the same experience with FVD exhaust and tune on our 981. Sound is amazing. Car is more responsive overall. Not a noticeable jump in power and I didn't have enough miles in the seat before the tune but it seemed to help.

Can't go wrong with FVD. Just added their system to my 991 TTS too. Awesome.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:43 AM
michaelscain
Instructor

It’s been about 2 weeks since the headers and the new tune were installed and I have put over 300 miles on the car. I believe the car has fully adapted to the new file and all the power to be had has been gained by now. The car is such a joy to drive. The power delivery is so smooth that I can step on it at any RPM or speed and the car will just pull hard without a hint of hesitation.

What I noticed as the headers started breaking in was a change in the sound. The exhaust note gained nice throatiness and more bass. The throatiness is there even at idle or cruising speed. This is an added bonus for me because I like exhaust sound with a presence. It is not too loud at all at the low to mid RPM range but the very pleasant note is still there. It screams wildly beyond 6000 rpm or so. Over all, I am very happy with what the headers has done to the sound of the car.

By far, the tune and the sport headers are the best mods I have done to the car. To be honest, I was a bit surprised how much changes they actually made to an NA car. I am glad I chose FVD. Their tune alone made very noticeable changes and the headers really woke up the car. With their generous discount program, the FVD (M&M) headers are not much more expensive than the counterparts from Fabspeed or Soul. I will do this again in a heartbeat and recommend these mods to any 981 Boxster S owners who are looking for a reliable power gain and intoxicating exhaust note.

(The FVD Tune is 352hp and the FVD Sports Header are an additional 16hp.)

Are you planning on getting your car Dyno tested? would be interested to see if the claimed 368hp increase by FVD is correct.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:45 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,508 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelscain

Are you planning on getting your car Dyno tested? would be interested to see if the claimed 368hp increase by FVD is correct.
It's never a matter of adding up all the claimed power increases. Diminishing returns etc. About 360 ish is realistic.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCviggen:
ICNU (09-10-2020), MotoJB (12-09-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 10:09 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by michaelscain

No plan to have the car dynoed any time soon. Considering the fact that FVD offers the no-questions-asked 30-day money back guarantee on their tune, I assume their claimed numbers should be close to the reality. At least my butt dyno tells me so.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:05 PM
michaelscain
Instructor

No plan to have the car dynoed any time soon. Considering the fact that FVD offers the no-questions-asked 30-day money back guarantee on their tune, I assume their claimed numbers should be close to the reality. At least my butt dyno tells me so.
Yep ive also had the same FVD Sports Headers and FVD Tune to my Porsche 981S and the butt dyno really tell you you have alot more power. But would be interested to know the actual HP increase.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:54 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,147 Likes on 630 Posts

FVD tune + FVD headers + IPD plenum + BMC filters on 987.2 and 991.1. Highly recommend this setup. Obviously I put my money where my mouth is and did the same recipe 2x on 2 different cars with similar results. The 987.2 definitely had a higher hp gain but the 991.1 certainly has a noticeable power benefit.

Quick Reply: FVD Software Flash for 981 S