Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Deletion of Model Designation: what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 01:36 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts
Default "Deletion of Model Designation: what's the deal?

So in my search for a 981 Boxster S/GTS, I've come across many models who's previous owners have opted for the "Deletion of Model Designation" option. I've seen it on many, many cars.

For those of you who have chosen this option (and even those who have not but have an opinion), what are some reasons why people are choosing to do this? Doesn't bother me much and certainly isn't a deal breaker, just curious.

Cheers
Old 08-13-2020, 02:25 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Well, the GTS model designation on the doors is a sticker. Darn right I'm telling them not to put a stupid sticker on my car. I removed them from my Boxster GTS (bought CPO).

Some people don't like a wall of text across the back of their vehicles and think it looks cleaner bare.

Others are kinda ashamed they are in a Boxster and not a 911.
The following users liked this post:
g00dparsh (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 02:42 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Well, the GTS model designation on the doors is a sticker. Darn right I'm telling them not to put a stupid sticker on my car. I removed them from my Boxster GTS (bought CPO).

Some people don't like a wall of text across the back of their vehicles and think it looks cleaner bare.

Others are kinda ashamed they are in a Boxster and not a 911.
Your first two reasons do make sense to me. But your last one?

Are Boxster owners (or Cayman owners for that matter) so ashamed that their vehicle is not a 911 that they would remove the model designation? Really?

By the way, the "Deletion of Model Designation" does not apply ONLY to Boxsters/Caymans. I've seen the same thing done on base Carreras (maybe these owners are ashamed they don't have an S, 4S or GT3)??
Old 08-13-2020, 02:49 PM
g00dparsh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by thedude abides

Are Boxster owners (or Cayman owners for that matter) so ashamed that their vehicle is not a 911 that they would remove the model designation? Really?

By the way, the "Deletion of Model Designation" does not apply ONLY to Boxsters/Caymans. I've seen the same thing done on base Carreras (maybe these owners are ashamed they don't have an S, 4S or GT3)??
They're the same people who remove the "535" from the back of a BMW and replace it with a poorly aligned, ambiguous "///M" badge.

Porsche probably saw enough owners doing it for various reasons, which led to them offering it.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:53 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by g00dparsh
They're the same people who remove the "535" from the back of a BMW and replace it with a poorly aligned, ambiguous "///M" badge.

Porsche probably saw enough owners doing it for various reasons, which led to them offering it.
There is a name for people who do what you're describing: "Posers"! Just embarrassing!
Old 08-13-2020, 02:56 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by thedude abides

That's why some people do it.

I wore my 991.2 Carrera badge with pride.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:58 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
That's why some people do it.

I wore my 991.2 Carrera badge with pride.
That’s what I’m talking about. Good for you!
Old 08-13-2020, 03:07 PM
enzojr
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As mentioned above, some people just like a cleaner look. Some people go further and remove the PORSCHE badge at the back altogether. I can live with "Boxster GTS" below the PORSCHE script, but for 911s, I find the full model name to be a bit much, e.g. "911 Carrera 4 GTS" taking up half the width of the car. For the 992 generation, they shrunk the 911 font considerably and looks a bit better.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:11 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enzojr
As mentioned above, some people just like a cleaner look. Some people go further and remove the PORSCHE badge at the back altogether. I can live with "Boxster GTS" below the PORSCHE script, but for 911s, I find the full model name to be a bit much, e.g. "911 Carrera 4 GTS" taking up half the width of the car. For the 992 generation, they shrunk the 911 font considerably and looks a bit better.
That certainly makes sense. Glad to know they made the new 911 font smaller.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:20 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

I definitely wish my 987.2 didn't say "Cayman" on the rear. People who care what model it is don't need to be told what it is, inversely, people who don't know what model it is don't care to know anyway. I'd prefer it just had Porsche lettering or just nothing at all. That said, I'm too lazy to do anything about it. lol
The following 2 users liked this post by SomnoBoost:
BudgetPlan1 (08-14-2020), UncleDude (12-06-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 03:24 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SomnoBoost
I definitely wish my 987.2 didn't say "Cayman" on the rear. People who care what model it is don't need to be told what it is, inversely, people who don't know what model it is don't care to know anyway. I'd prefer it just had Porsche lettering or just nothing at all. That said, I'm too lazy to do anything about it. lol
Interesting perspective. From a purely functional strand point, I can see how having less script would make for a cleaner look and easier detailing.

If I see a car and really want to know what it is, I’d love to see some script. But then again, the vast majority of people are not “car” people so they probably don’t care.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:37 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 401 Likes on 244 Posts

I second what others have already said. People that know what a Porsche is dont need to see it in giant chrome letters across the back of my car to know what kind of car it is. Those who dont know aren't going to know to walk back there and check before asking "is that a Ferrari" or whatever they come up with. It serves no purpose and It makes it a huge pain to wax and is constantly hanging up on anything you are using to wash or dry with, so the fishing line garrote came out on mine and made quick work of the double sided tape holding the letters on.

It has nothing to do with "which" Porsche Im driving at least in my case as again, those who have to ask what kind of car it is wouldn't know the difference anyway. Those who do know already know what it is whether badged or not, so anyone doing so for that reason is wasting their time

Last edited by ICNU; 08-13-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:53 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ICNU
I second what others have already said. People that know what a Porsche is dont need to see it in giant chrome letters across the back of my car to know what kind of car it is. Those who dont know aren't going to know to walk back there and check before asking "is that a Ferrari" or whatever they come up with. It serves no purpose and It makes it a huge pain to wax and is constantly hanging up on anything you are using to wash or dry with, so the fishing line garrote came out on mine and made quick work of the double sided tape holding the letters on.

It has nothing to do with "which" Porsche Im driving at least in my case as again, those who have to ask what kind of car it is wouldn't know the difference anyway. Those who do know already know what it is whether badged or not, so anyone doing so for that reason is wasting their time
Makes sense. And now I’ve also learned how to remove those letters if need be! Thank you.

A 981 Boxster S I’m looking at simply says “Porsche” on the back. It does look pretty clean and probably will make waxing easier, but I’d have had no issue with the rest of the script remaining.
The following 2 users liked this post by thedude abides:
ICNU (08-13-2020), paddlefoot64 (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 03:56 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

It also can be a German thing. In Germany, the vast majority of Mercedeses and BMWs are running around without model designation badges. This can be frustrating when I spot a model that I have never seen in the U.S. but can't tell what it is. Didn't notice this on Porsches, though. Interestingly, not too many Porsches are present on the streets of the cities I frequent (Hamburg, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf and Cologne). As for the reason, I once asked a German friend why but don't remember his answer. It was something so trivial that it just slipped off from my mind.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:03 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 401 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by storii
It also can be a German thing. In Germany, the vast majority of Mercedeses and BMWs are running around without model designation badges. This can be frustrating when I spot a model that I have never seen in the U.S. but can't tell what it is. Didn't notice this on Porsches, though. Interestingly, not too many Porsches are present on the streets of the cities I frequent (Hamburg, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf and Cologne). As for the reason, I once asked a German friend why but don't remember his answer. It was something so trivial that it just slipped off from my mind.
I noticed this lack of Porsches in Germany as well. Ive worked for a German company for the last 20 years and have been over there more than 50 times, driving all over Germany, Austria and Czech Republic. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen a Porsche while driving?? BMW and all matter of tiny turbo diesel compacts are the norm. Lots of Audi as well since the factory is 50 miles outside of Nurnberg. My colleagues there told me that Porsche is considerably more expensive there for them than for me in the U.S. which I found interesting and counter intuitive.

Quick Reply: "Deletion of Model Designation: what's the deal?