Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Boxster GTS vs Spyder Exhaust Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 10:33 PM
hsattley
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 981 Boxster GTS vs Spyder Exhaust Sound?

Can anyone describe how different the 3.4L in the GTS and the 3.8L in the Spyder sound in terms of overall loudness and throatiness?

In addition, I know the GTS has the same 3.4L engine and exhaust system as the S with PSE (with the addition of the sound symposer inside), but I’ve heard that Porsche tuned the GTS to be a little louder. Does the GTS actually sound any different from the S with PSE?
Old 09-17-2020, 08:26 PM
Kancamagus
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 52 Posts

No appreciable difference to me. Can’t really speak on the Spyder tho...
Old 09-18-2020, 08:54 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Hard to say but my Boxster GTS sport exhaust is louder and more burble than my sons S with sport exhaust. Might have something to do with the Cobb tune on the GTS or it just being a cab vs a hardtop but I hear a difference. As far as the Spyder the larger displacement engine I suspect would be a bit more throaty.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:48 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 346 Posts

I have a Cayman S with the 3.4 and it sounds good at redline but nowhere near my 981 Spyder. Of course I said the same thing about the GT4 not being as loud as Spyder after driving one, so probably has something to do with the roof.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:03 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I prefer the overall sound of my Boxster GTS to that of my GT4 or GT3. The exception being the last 2K or so of the GT3 at full tilt. But from idle to redline the GTS is the most pleasing of the three.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:02 PM
hsattley
Advanced

Thanks all for your comments! I imagine the 3.4L would scream a little more while the 3.8L, as cobalt said, would be a little throatier.

I would love to test drive both back to back. There is a manual GTS and a Spyder, both of which are very close to me, but I feel like the dealerships wouldn't allow me to test drive the cars if I don't have any intention to buy. I am actually looking for a manual GTS, but the one near me is Guards Red which is a no-go for me, and I'm not really considering the Spyder since I want a powered roof (maybe a 3.8L conversion if I get a GTS? haha)

Last edited by hsattley; 09-18-2020 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:29 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 346 Posts

Drive the Spyder and you may change your mind about the power roof thing. The closest Porsche outside of a full on race car to this was my 996 GT3. I’ve often marveled that this is an OEM exhaust. It’s that good.
The following users liked this post:
pdds (09-27-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 04:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

The problem with the 981 Spyder exhaust is that it has just ridiculously over the top fake pops and burbles on deceleration that get old fast. They’re just too much. The sound on acceleration is fantastic but the decel overruns are stupid fake. And if you turn off the sport exhaust you get a buzzy resonance on decel instead, which is annoying in its own right.

Great car otherwise, but the exhaust tuning is the one thing I would have loved to be able to change.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Dreyer (09-19-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 12:53 PM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

Had a 2015 Boxster GTS (981, 3.4L H6), traded it for a 2016 Spyder (981, 3.8L H6).

Only engine/performance mod I've done is swapping OEM exhaust headers for CarGraphics Sport exhaust headers. Interestingly (to me at least), the headers are the same fit for both 3.4L and 3.8L engines.

I believe the GTS models (both Cayman and Boxster?) have a "sound symposer" (knowing Porsche, I'm surprised it's not called "Porsche Sound Symposer (PSS)"), which from the schematics I've seen is a tube running from the throttle body to the rear wall of the passenger compartment. It's valved and opens/shuts based on engine rpm. Non-GTS models don't have this. I don't think the Spyder has it either, but doesn't need it as the Spyder has also had some of the sound insulating material (i.e. foam) removed from some of the body panels. If I'm incorrect, I'm sure someone will chime in.

Sound differences? Not much, IMO. Spyder is louder but not by much. Most noticeable difference to me is when the top is up. GTS had a multi-ply roof; Spyder has single ply. Can hear a *lot* more engine and road noise with the top up in a Spyder vs. GTS.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:21 PM
hsattley
Advanced

Thanks again everyone! It seems like the consensus is Boxsters are generally louder than equivalent Caymans (understandable), and that the Spyder is louder than the Boxster GTS/S, but not by a huge amount. Given this would be my only car, I'll focus on looking for a GTS due to the powered (and insulated) roof, and will look at mods if I want the car to be a bit louder. I don't think I'll be disappointed either way, since both the GTS and Spyder will sound absolutely fantastic compared to my current BMW 435i and my old 981 Boxster (which didn't have PSE).

Billy - you're right about the sound symposer. Of the 981 lineup, I think only the GTS has it

Last edited by hsattley; 09-21-2020 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:33 PM
patriot993
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Good luck with your continued search on the elusive GTS! I think that any exhaust sound difference between a GTS and Spyder can be solved for with aftermarket exhaust. If I recall correctly, your other criteria for car (Sport Chrono, Manual Trans, etc.) are spot on.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:54 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My 981 Boxster GTS 3.4 is louder (due to the sound symposer) and higher pitched (smaller bores) than a 981 Spyder 3.8. My 981 GTS has Fabspeed race headers / protune. It's loud, fast, and I love it. At pcar gatherings even the GT3 fanboys come look underneath to see what's going on. Search my old posts if you want to hear videos.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:05 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Interesting I understand how the symposer would make it sound louder in the car but my sons S without Symposer and factory sport exhaust seems quieter from outside the car as well. Or does the sport exhaust come with the symposer? only had the S for a week so just getting to know it. I have no doubt he will eventually install some SOUL headers but for now it stays stock. My friends install a lot of SOUL products and others as well. IMO SOUL is the only system worth investing in. Far better build quality and the dyno tests showed more gains for the $$.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:46 AM
skarkp
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

hsattley i also test drove the GTS in Marin and it sounded fabulous, however the color is also a no go for me. They are asking 10k over what the original owner posted in a private sale before trading it in. They also have a beautiful 987.2 S that is asking for an arm and leg for. As far as for tuning, living in CA is unfortunate as we have to abide by CARB standards, so that def rules out lots of header options.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:04 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The problem with the 981 Spyder exhaust is that it has just ridiculously over the top fake pops and burbles on deceleration that get old fast. They’re just too much. The sound on acceleration is fantastic but the decel overruns are stupid fake. And if you turn off the sport exhaust you get a buzzy resonance on decel instead, which is annoying in its own right.

Great car otherwise, but the exhaust tuning is the one thing I would have loved to be able to change.
The excessive pops and burbles can be tuned out if you get an ECU tune such as the FVD tune. I'm pretty sure other tunes on the market have the same capability.

Quick Reply: 981 Boxster GTS vs Spyder Exhaust Sound?