Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Agency Power Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 12:05 AM
alvitdk
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Agency Power Exhaust

So, I am having my Agency Power exhaust on my 2014 Cayman Base since August 2019. Today I got my car back from the shop, after an oil change and H&R lowering springs installed. Upon picking up the car, they showed me that on both mufflers, the outside welds are split open on top and bottom. In addition, the above axle pipe hits the axle on small bumps, due to the car being lower by 1 1/2" in the rear. Even though the exhaust has a limited lifetime warranty, not sure if it's worth shipping back and forth if it hits the axle with such little clearance.
Now I am looking at replacing it with another cat-back exhaust, either Soul or Fabspeed...maybe even Borla. However, nowhere they list if it's suitable for cars that have been lowered. However, I can't imagine this has not popped up with other people, having an aftermarket exhaust, as well as the car lowered with H&R., Can't find anything searching the forum or elsewhere.....anyone with some experience on that topic?

Lastly...soooo many different opinions on Droning behavior, the Agency is pretty much useless with a PDK in 7th gear unless you love headaches.... Some say the Borla does drone, the soul does little, the Fabspeed a lot....opinions are like....but I really don't want to buy and try three different exhausts to find out what works best with the base and pdk, so any help is appreciated.

thanks

Last edited by alvitdk; 01-21-2021 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:10 AM
michaelscain
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

You should look at getting FVD headers;

Sport Headers - 981.1 Cayman / Boxster with 200 Cell Tri Metal "HD" Sportcats
The following users liked this post:
alvitdk (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 12:46 PM
edmaverik
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

I love my Borla on my Base 981. I have very little drone with it and I'd highly recommend Borla for the craftsmanship and sound.

Here is a clip of how it sounds:
alvitdk (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 07:07 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

To the OP: I have a Borla on my 2011 Boxster Spyder PDK, I love it (the Borla and the Spyder), there is a drone at low RPM in higher gears at highway speeds, I manage it by running at higher RPMs in a lower gear I also have the advantage of the drop top, a coupe might be more of an issue. The Spyder is 20mm lower than the base Boxster, I don't know your ride height compared to mine. I have no fitment issues. I have no experience with Fabspeed or Soul on these cars. Looks like you're in Hill Country PCA and perhaps you have already done so, but I'd reach out to club members at the next club event and check with members on what they have and what their opinions are, listen to them in person. Video sound provides some info but of course in person is the best.
alvitdk (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 08:01 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 401 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by alvitdk
So, I am having my Agency Power exhaust on my 2014 Cayman Base since August 2019. Today I got my car back from the shop, after an oil change and H&R lowering springs installed. Upon picking up the car, they showed me that on both mufflers, the outside welds are split open on top and bottom. In addition, the above axle pipe hits the axle on small bumps, due to the car being lower by 1 1/2" in the rear. Even though the exhaust has a limited lifetime warranty, not sure if it's worth shipping back and forth if it hits the axle with such little clearance.
Now I am looking at replacing it with another cat-back exhaust, either Soul or Fabspeed...maybe even Borla. However, nowhere they list if it's suitable for cars that have been lowered. However, I can't imagine this has not popped up with other people, having an aftermarket exhaust, as well as the car lowered with H&R., Can't find anything searching the forum or elsewhere.....anyone with some experience on that topic?

Lastly...soooo many different opinions on Droning behavior, the Agency is pretty much useless with a PDK in 7th gear unless you love headaches.... Some say the Borla does drone, the soul does little, the Fabspeed a lot....opinions are like....but I really don't want to buy and try three different exhausts to find out what works best with the base and pdk, so any help is appreciated.

thanks
Unfortunately this one of those "you get what you pay for" situations. I know there is a Porsche tax on some of our aftermarket products, but when all of the reputable name brands are charging near 3K for an exhaust and someone else says they can sell you one for not much more than a set of exhaust tips from the other guys, you have wonder how and why. Poor fitment and poor quality components are to be expected, and you are not the first to report this axle hitting issue or weld splitting with that brand as it has nothing at all to do with the car being lowered. It's a problem with fitment in general for that brand and happens on stock cars as well

I've had many lowered P cars and its never been an issue with any decent exhaust. Lowering a car has nothing to do with the exhaust routing or fitment or even a stock exhaust would hit on lowered cars if so and this never happens. It's just a poorly made product. It's no different than buying cheap Chinese copies of things on Ebay. It might work or fit or may not work at all. It might work OK for a bit but fail in short order. Like the old saying goes, "buy cheap, buy twice". Pick any reputable exhaust you choose and all with be fine

Last edited by ICNU; 01-21-2021 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:49 PM
alvitdk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ICNU
Unfortunately this one of those "you get what you pay for" situations. I know there is a Porsche tax on some of our aftermarket products, but when all of the reputable name brands are charging near 3K for an exhaust and someone else says they can sell you one for not much more than a set of exhaust tips from the other guys, you have wonder how and why. Poor fitment and poor quality components are to be expected, and you are not the first to report this axle hitting issue and it has nothing to do with the car being lowered. It's just a poorly made product. It's no different than buying cheap Chinese copies of things on Ebay. It might work or fit or may not work at all. It might work OK for a bit but fail in short order. Like the old saying goes, "buy cheap, buy twice"
Hmmm, not sure we agree on this one, it did work perfectly for almost 2 yearsI certainly have no issues spending more money but 1,800.- I did not consider it cheap when I bought it. I think it is down to 1,500.- now. The AWE is 2k and the Soul is 2.3k, not such a huge difference in the scheme of things. I got it 2 years back because it had a more raspy sound on the week-long youtube comparison videos, it's also made in the US with customer service and all, so can't really compare it to a cheap Chinese 500.- knock-off. Looking at it, lowering the car does bring the axle closer to the exhaust/chassis....odd!

Either way, not looking into getting lectured what should have been, just a piece of simple advice if anyone has a different exhaust, lowered the car, and has fitment or no fitment issues.
BTW, I did get a reply from Borla that their exhaust is designed for standard height and they would not recommend getting theirs either as it might have not enough clearance, also a 2k exhaust, just saying.

Last edited by alvitdk; 01-21-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:53 PM
alvitdk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grgallo
To the OP: I have a Borla on my 2011 Boxster Spyder PDK, I love it (the Borla and the Spyder), there is a drone at low RPM in higher gears at highway speeds, I manage it by running at higher RPMs in a lower gear I also have the advantage of the drop top, a coupe might be more of an issue. The Spyder is 20mm lower than the base Boxster, I don't know your ride height compared to mine. I have no fitment issues. I have no experience with Fabspeed or Soul on these cars. Looks like you're in Hill Country PCA and perhaps you have already done so, but I'd reach out to club members at the next club event and check with members on what they have and what their opinions are, listen to them in person. Video sound provides some info but of course in person is the best.
Yeah, I might do that or just go with the Soul as the rep told me it will have no clearance issues. Interesting though that the Borla rep got back to me, telling me I might have issues as they did not take into account fitment on lowered cars. Maybe the spyder is a separate product line for them and designed accordingly???
Old 01-21-2021, 09:01 PM
ICNU
Pro

I wasnt trying to lecture so sorry, but I have had many different P cars including the Cayman I have now, all lowered and never any issue with any reputable aftermarket exhaust. You were overcharged if you paid $1,800 for that exhaust as it sells for $850 for the 981 all day long

Here is someone having the exact same fitment and weld failure issues that you are reporting which has nothing to do with the car being lowered.

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/fin.../#post-2166027

I have never in my life heard of any P car exhaust that only works on a non lowered car and I have been driving and modifying many of them for over 20 years. Porsche has three different ride heights yet no vendor has any specified differences in their products. If ride height was really an issue, then why are there no problems on any lowered P car with the stock exhaust? Ive had the even lower H&R on my last two cars and again it makes no difference at all with a proper product. This particular exhaust just doesnt have the proper arc up over the axle like every other brand does

Good luck with your exhaust search, and bottom line is you can't go wrong with any of the reputable brands such as Soul, Fabspeed, FVD, Borla, etc

Last edited by ICNU; 01-21-2021 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:08 PM
alvitdk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ICNU
I wasnt trying to lecture so sorry, but I have had many different P cars including the Cayman I have now, all lowered and never any issue with any reputable aftermarket exhaust. You were overcharged if you paid $1,500 for that exhaust as it sells for $850 for the 981 all day long

Here is someone having the exact same firment and weld failure issues that you are reporting which has nothing to do with the car being lowered. I have never in my life heard of any P car exhaust that only works on a non lowered car and I have been driving and modifying many of them for over 20 years. https://www.planet-9.com/threads/fin.../#post-2166027

Good luck with your exhaust search, and bottom line is you can't go wrong with any of the reputable brands such as Soul, Fabspeed, FVD, Borla, etc
WTF, indeed looking at their website it's on sale for 850.-...I bought it from LM Performance at quite a bit more. Anyway, and as it might be, time to look into something else, the Soul most likely and as I mentioned, for some reason Borla, which sounds really great and has good reviews, I was told might not fit. Fabspeed sounds like people have most issues with droning....so the Soul seems to be the most sensible option.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:14 PM
ICNU
Pro

Yes Soul has a great reputation and representation here. They will be there if there are any issues, but I doubt you will encounter any

Last edited by ICNU; 01-21-2021 at 09:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ICNU:
alvitdk (01-21-2021), Soul Performance (02-08-2021)

Quick Reply: Agency Power Exhaust