Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PADM Failure - Swap to regular mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 01:12 AM
smellslikecurry
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PADM Failure - Swap to regular mounts?

Hi,

2014 CS PDK, SC, PASM, PTV ~50k miles. Car is a dual purpose car with about 10-15 track days a year

Had my passenger side PADM transmission mount fail recently and have been contemplating swapping to standard mounts with torque solution inserts. Has anyone deleted PADM on their 981 and any advice on the process?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:34 PM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Not really answering your question, but someone else had their PADM mounts fail a few months ago and remember him saying the part alone was around $1k.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:05 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Seems like all these technologies are great until they don't work anymore...
The following users liked this post:
ICNU (01-25-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 06:09 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 401 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by absoluteczech
Not really answering your question, but someone else had their PADM mounts fail a few months ago and remember him saying the part alone was around $1k.
The mount itself is $1,300 before labor to install. They look identical to the non Sport Chrono mounts that are $250 without the wiring plug on them. I will definitely consider removing them if another one of mine fails in the future, however I have no idea if this function alone can be coded out separately so there wont be a warning at every startup considering this is part of the SC option
Old 01-25-2021, 08:02 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 309 Posts

I had one failed back in November at ~32K miles. Dealer verified the part was bad Nov 25. Will cover under CPO warranty. Part is still back-ordered. Grrrrrr. If and when there is another failure, I will be asking the same questions.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:09 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by ICNU
The mount itself is $1,300 before labor to install. They look identical to the non Sport Chrono mounts that are $250 without the wiring plug on them. I will definitely consider removing them if another one of mine fails in the future, however I have no idea if this function alone can be coded out separately so there wont be a warning at every startup considering this is part of the SC option
I think that FCP Euro sell the mounts for the SC so if they fail again at least they will replace them.
Jim

Last edited by Jim981CS; 01-25-2021 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-26-2021, 09:22 AM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim981CS
I think that FCP Euro sell the mounts for the SC so if they fail again at least they will replace them.
Jim
Yes, it appears that FCP Euro sells the mount, at a price ~&1500 US. Lifetime warranty as long as you own the vehicle. Simply buy another, then return the failed item for refund.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:14 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 401 Likes on 244 Posts

The problem is my Indy will only do work when they supply the parts. He doesn't want to get stuck having to deal with being blamed for issues with parts he did not supply since his warranty only comes from his suppliers, which I can understand. Hopefully in my case I dont have another failure, otherwise I will need to reconsider my options.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:49 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn, I should have bought FCP, I use them regularly but that would have been really smart here. I got mine from Sunset Porsche because they had the best price. Mine is a 2014 981 CS as well.

Has anyone done this job myself? My passenger one also failed, and of course that is the harder one to get out as there is a bunch of sensors and I believe the heater valve all in that side.

I have the mounting bracket and the mount itself unbolted and free but can't seem to maneuver it out. The shop manual says to remove the driver side mount first to allow the transmission to move sideways, I have not done that yet but I'm skeptical that the transmission will move with that undone - it looks like there is also a brace at the rear of the transmission?

Thanks for any help you all can provide!

Last edited by Yabo; 01-26-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-31-2021, 01:02 AM
smellslikecurry
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ICNU
Exactly what I'm trying to solve for now. I'll let you know what I find out.
The following users liked this post:
ICNU (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 06:36 PM
Four Ring Circus
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by absoluteczech
That was me.
I can’t remember the total Bill bit yes the part was $1300 for one. When mine went I checked on here as well as had my indy shop do some searching too and neither of us found any aftermarket replacements. I would be curious to hear more about the aftermarket one mentioned below.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:59 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Yabo
Damn, I should have bought FCP, I use them regularly but that would have been really smart here. I got mine from Sunset Porsche because they had the best price. Mine is a 2014 981 CS as well.

Has anyone done this job myself? My passenger one also failed, and of course that is the harder one to get out as there is a bunch of sensors and I believe the heater valve all in that side.

I have the mounting bracket and the mount itself unbolted and free but can't seem to maneuver it out. The shop manual says to remove the driver side mount first to allow the transmission to move sideways, I have not done that yet but I'm skeptical that the transmission will move with that undone - it looks like there is also a brace at the rear of the transmission?

Thanks for any help you all can provide!
Did you get this resolved? Any pointers on replacing? A friend has a Cayman GTS with a PADM failure. He is considering doing the repair himself.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:15 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rdboxster
Did you get this resolved? Any pointers on replacing? A friend has a Cayman GTS with a PADM failure. He is considering doing the repair himself.
Yes, memory is a little fuzzy but I did remove the passenger side mount to give a small amount of wiggle room. Then I believe they truck was to rotate the passenger side mount and bracket about 90 degrees and flop it over and out towards the back of the car. It was still a little tight to get by the coolant hoses but it goes.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:44 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 451 Likes on 334 Posts

Any correlation between failures and moisture? Recall on 992 mounts includes upgraded moisture shield.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:46 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
Any correlation between failures and moisture? Recall on 992 mounts includes upgraded moisture shield.
Interesting. No real moisture shield that I'm aware of on the cayman.

Quick Reply: PADM Failure - Swap to regular mounts?