Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 981 Boxster Owner Checking In!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 11:36 AM
alvitdk
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by maximusbibicus
Can you share a pic or two? I can kinda tell in your avatar but its pretty small.

The following 2 users liked this post by alvitdk:
maximusbibicus (03-05-2021), por917 (03-06-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 01:00 PM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

That looks fantastic. Perfectly matches your car. I would want slightly darker for mine i think.
The following users liked this post:
alvitdk (03-16-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 12:13 PM
Jack_981
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I like that color - enjoy!
maximusbibicus (03-05-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 02:10 AM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Out for a couple of hours the last two days, awesome feeling. Looking forward to a great season.

Swapped out side markers for clear LED and give it a proper wash and finished with some quick detailer. It will do for now.

​​​​​​​
Old 03-22-2021, 03:43 AM
smilin
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 138 Posts

i like your silver wheels. i like my black wheels. i like platinum wheels. I LOVE SAPPHIRE BLUE METALLIC.

BigBob (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 07:55 AM
alvitdk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smilin
i like your silver wheels. i like my black wheels. i like platinum wheels. I LOVE SAPPHIRE BLUE METALLIC.
Oh, I love black wheels too IF I would have red or yellow calipers.... but indeed the blue is just gorgeous.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:40 AM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Lots of love for the sapphire blue which is awesome. Definitely has grown on me.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:09 PM
michaelscain
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I hate to say it (as im an owner), but the 981 Cayman is much better looking car than the 981 boxster....
Old 03-22-2021, 01:33 PM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Interesting comment.

I agree. Cayman has a roof and that's not the experience I am going for.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:15 PM
14boxsters
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Different shade of blue but this shows the 19” black rims with slightly more aggressive offset than stock.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:34 PM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Wow, really nice! Which OZ's are those?
Old 03-22-2021, 08:25 PM
RennHarry
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 142 Posts

Maxim, gorgeous car. I really like the wheels you bought it with.
Cheers
maximusbibicus (03-23-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 08:58 PM
14boxsters
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maximusbibicus
Wow, really nice! Which OZ's are those?
Leggera HLT. Wider and 2-4 lbs lighter than stock was the gravy on top.

Last edited by 14boxsters; 03-23-2021 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:45 AM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 14boxsters
Leggera HLT. Wider and 2-4 lbs lighter than stock was the gravy on top.
Thanks, will definitely keep that in mind.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:38 AM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Bit of a bump of an older thread, a few updates along the way.

I hit a rabbit....thankfully not the VW variety. Little tuft of hair left for good measure. That causes bit bit of a headache. Ordered the parts to fix it myself, took forever as one was coming from Germany, then when they arrived the dealer lost them. So most of the summer was spent driving a less than perfect car with no front parking sensors but thats fine.

After they arrived I took apart the front bumper to fix things up. No lights made me sad, like someone ripped its eyes out!

Something that really struck me was the size of the rads. Based on the size of the openings and that there are two of them I assumed they were not much bigger than the opening. WRONG:

Finally, after this fix I was able to aesthetically enjoy the car. The damage didn't keep me from driving it a lot but I certainly was not taking pics of it. Went for a nice drive and snapped some shots.

Getting ready for hibernation. Pretty basic garage but looking at a remodel in the spring to make the best use of space.

Depressing, but this is what I am looking at until spring:

Sadly, little brother is getting all the attention this winter.

So 10 months later here are some observations.

Next level engineering and refinement over anything else I have ever owned. When its just me and a winding country road in 3rd gear with the engine above 4000rpm anything else happening in the world has no significance. What my brain is thinking is instantly going to my fingertips and then to the wheel almost telepathically. For an EPS rack it is unbelievable. The PS4S's do a great job of keeping things in check, even when this ham fisted baboon's ego takes over and makes him think he is the next Senna and gets into trouble.....anyway. The sound, the smell, the mechanical feel of the shifter and composed but sporty ride all make for a great experience. I don't for a second regret not getting an S, "slow car fast" is a just as rewarding an experience.

The interior is an incredible place to be. Truly a cockpit, everything is placed exactly where it should be. If I had the full leather interior (leather dash/door panels) it would have a more premium feel but I'll live with what I got.The insulated roof is a revelation, can't believe how it compares to cheaper convertibles I have been in. Love that I can put it up and down while driving. Game changer. Sports seats plus meant nothing to me while shopping around. I am a big guy, having now driven other Porsche's with the standard seats I would never buy one. Much better support in the mid section and shoulders with the "plus" variant.

What don't I like? Well, I had no issues with the clutch but after test driving different Japanese cars as potential daily drivers it really comes across as HEAVY. The first Civic I test drove this winter.....I swear I thought I dented the firewall from how hard I pushed the clutch in the first time. Driving the BRZ was quite an adjustment. What is going to be interesting is switching between the two cars this spring and summer. I am going to look like a rookie every time.

Halogen lights......jeeeeez they are horrible. This alone had me thinking about shopping around for another one. But in reality I wouldn't let that be the only reason.

The brakes scrub speed VERY well but the feel is lacking, very wooden feeling. Miss the brakes in my Golf R, loads of power and very easy to modulate. The car is 7 years old and has 53000KM and in the service history there is no mention of new brake fluid so that is happening in the spring. Hopefully it is better after that.

I wish the shifter was a little smoother going between gears. I am so used to Hondas, it has struck me as not being as smooth as it should be. I had my friend who has a 987.2 CS drive it to get his opinion and he told me I was crazy. Feeling how well my car shifted prompted him to upgrade to a Numeric shifter with updated OE cables to improve the feel. So apparently I am on crack and spoiled by my Honda experience.

Plans for this year.....ideally the OEM X73 sport suspension and Carnewal (or equivalent) exhaust with Soul x-pipe and tips. It needs a major service too so we will see how the numbers work out for mod money.

Until the spring comes I am looking around to see if something pops up that has more desirable options and a better colour. Really its such a crap shoot I will probably stick with this car. It honestly still feels brand new every time I get it in. I'm pretty picky and I am worried that I will have a hard time matching the condition of this car.

TLDR summary: Cool car bruh.

Last edited by maximusbibicus; 01-09-2022 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: New 981 Boxster Owner Checking In!