Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement for my 2013 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 10:44 AM
michaelscain
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3SpdDmn
I think a new 718 4.0L GTS would be the way to go! I'm with you in that there's no way you'd get me into a 4-cyl turbo Boxster. It could have twice the power of my 981 BS. Don't care. The motoring experience isn't ALL about speed.
I just got my '14 BS 6MT with sport chrono, sport suspension, and PTVD. I've owned many good sports cars on the very affordable end of the spectrum (many BMW's, RX-8, FR-S) and raced many great cars. But so far, I'm rather infatuated with my car, even with 84k miles on it. I can see myself just investing in keeping it in good shape and driving it to 150k+. The only thing that really bugs me is the super tall 1st-3rd gears. Its such an enjoyable engine to rev out that I'd really like to get to do it more often without breaking every speed limit in the country just when topping 2nd gear! I'd probably rather do that than get a new GTS! (easy for me to say from the standpoint of not being able to afford a new GTS!)

Its really sad that there's no real equivalent out there from a competitor, with a manual transmission. And none on the horizon. I have a feeling that I bought my car at an absolute sweet spot from a value standpoint!
Even if you cant test drive a GTS, you know the 981 chassis well enough... If you go for one, you could probably do a factory order, being pretty sure you're going to like it. Happy shopping!

- Anthony
Hi Anthony,

Yes totally agree regarding the long gearing, I also have a 981S and the gear ratios are well just too long, second gear is 84 mph, third is 114 mph. I wish Porsche would produce a short ratio gear box for the new 718 4.0L GTS, i would then look at buying one. Right now I have a 981S Manual with PSE and have added a FVD Tune and Sport headers giving me around 370hp, I'm not sure spending 80k on a new GTS would give me that much more satisfaction, not too mention the new GTS has particulate filters.

The max speed in gear for the 981S (Manual) and (PDK)
Gear / Ratio (PDK) / Max Speed (PDK) MPH
1st / 3.31 (3.91) / 49 (42)
2nd / 1.95 (2.29) / 84 (71)
3rd /1.41 (1.65) /116 (99)
4th / 1.13 (1.30) / 144 (125)
5th /.95 (1.08) / 172 (151)
6th / .81 (.88) / 201 (185)
7th / (.62) / (263)

I did watch an interesting video by Harry Garage yesterday, and he was reviewing a BMW CSL (355bh) which had been converted to a short ratio gear box. Transforming the driving experience of the BMW.

If only you could have the same on the 981S, it would be the perfect sports car.

Here is the video;

All the best Michael

Last edited by michaelscain; 03-19-2021 at 11:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by michaelscain:
manifold danger (03-19-2021), Z3SpdDmn (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 01:03 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelscain
I'm not sure spending 80k on a new GTS would give me that much more satisfaction, not too mention the new GTS has particulate filters.
This is a great point (although I'm not sure the particulate filters apply to the US... could be wrong though).

I think I'd have to agree personally. I used an iphone analogy the last time this came up... sure, the new iPhone is better in every conceivable way, but the one I've got works fine. If I have the spare cash and have to have something new and shiny, it makes sense. Otherwise, it's absolutely unnecessary.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:07 PM
Z3SpdDmn
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Lotus Evora is a real competitor in the US and its wonderful to drive. Europe gets the Alpina!
Not in a convertible! But, I agree, this would be the closest driving competition to a Boxster S / 718 GTS.

I think that purpose-built low volume thriller cars are going to be the future as we move more towards EV's. And hey, you might know this author!
https://jalopnik.com/the-honda-power...tur-1845384407
Old 03-19-2021, 01:10 PM
Z3SpdDmn
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelscain
I did watch an interesting video by Harry Garage yesterday, and he was reviewing a BMW CSL (355bh) which had been converted to a short ratio gear box. Transforming the driving experience of the BMW.

If only you could have the same on the 981S, it would be the perfect sports car.
Has anyone seen if there's an aftermarket solution to this? I recall Matt Farah suggesting this exists when he reviewed the GT4 in a One Take video.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:13 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I think a new 718 4.0L GTS would be the way to go! I'm with you in that there's no way you'd get me into a 4-cyl turbo Boxster. It could have twice the power of my 981 BS. Don't care. The motoring experience isn't ALL about speed.
I just got my '14 BS 6MT with sport chrono, sport suspension, and PTVD. I've owned many good sports cars on the very affordable end of the spectrum (many BMW's, RX-8, FR-S) and raced many great cars. But so far, I'm rather infatuated with my car, even with 84k miles on it. I can see myself just investing in keeping it in good shape and driving it to 150k+. The only thing that really bugs me is the super tall 1st-3rd gears. Its such an enjoyable engine to rev out that I'd really like to get to do it more often without breaking every speed limit in the country just when topping 2nd gear! I'd probably rather do that than get a new GTS! (easy for me to say from the standpoint of not being able to afford a new GTS!)

Its really sad that there's no real equivalent out there from a competitor, with a manual transmission. And none on the horizon. I have a feeling that I bought my car at an absolute sweet spot from a value standpoint!
Even if you cant test drive a GTS, you know the 981 chassis well enough... If you go for one, you could probably do a factory order, being pretty sure you're going to like it. Happy shopping!

- Anthony
Thanks Anthony. If I go with the GTS. I'll custom order it. Although the $90K price is not a problem, what I have to do is to determine if it's worth the premium to me. I always buy my Porsches new and keep them 7-8 years. So from a time perspective, it's time for a change but from an enjoyment perspective, not so much. My plan is to wait until there's a GTS at one of my local dealers, and then test drive it. If that's in a couple months or a couple of years, I won't care since I like my 981 BS that much. Over the decades I've owned many Porsches, but none of them were better than my current car. Don't know if I got lucky or if the 981 model is just that good.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:14 PM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Has anyone seen if there's an aftermarket solution to this? I recall Matt Farah suggesting this exists when he reviewed the GT4 in a One Take video.
there is but i think its only for the GT4, but I could be wrong
Old 03-19-2021, 01:25 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
I bought my 981BS around the same time you did. At the time, I remember observing that when it came to two-seat sports cars, the next step up was a Ferrari 458.

Still true, IMHO. 981 = peak sports car. It was and is all downhill from there, at least until the GTS 4.0 was announced.
No doubt that the GTS is a superior car to my 981 BS. The question I have to answer is if it's worth $60K more than my 981 BS. I'm assuming that a dealer will give me low $30Ks for my car. I won't know the answer until I take a test drive.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:36 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by manifold danger
This is a great point (although I'm not sure the particulate filters apply to the US... could be wrong though).

I think I'd have to agree personally. I used an iphone analogy the last time this came up... sure, the new iPhone is better in every conceivable way, but the one I've got works fine. If I have the spare cash and have to have something new and shiny, it makes sense. Otherwise, it's absolutely unnecessary.
Great analogy with respect to the 981S vs the 718 GTS . When I was younger, I would always buy the newer model because they were that much better and I always craved for something new and shiny to impress my friends. Not so much today. Nevertheless, as good as the 981 is I won't keep it forever and maybe the GTS will be the car for me.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:08 PM
Sub
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
I have driven one... My gripes were the blind spots and just how freakin' HUGE it feels. It does all the things you say and does them very well. The things that Porsche has that the zl1 will never has is the way the car is mechanically engineered and THAT feeling. With the electronics and such it will be a faster car than any 987/981/718 but it just doesn't have that same feeling of construction. It IS nimble but the feeling of driving an aircraft carrier vs a 987 make it have a bad placebo of feeling less nimble after the Porsche.
I agree with this. You know I didn't even comment on the high door sill and claustrophobic thing because I'm totally used to it now, I dont feel it anymore. My 350z was the same way, you really sit down in these cars. I recall not liking the feeling, but that passes quickly.

It is a big lump of a car and thats what you get with 650hp. Its light and nimble in its own way, but its not a porsche feeling. The cars feel different - you steer the zl1 with the rear, and the porsche with the front. This is why I have a 981s too, they complement each other and are different and fun, rewarding experiences. The chevy is a man's car, I get in that car and my ********* expand 25%, the porsche is more cerebral, a ballerina. I'm not saying the Porsche is a girls car, just... delicate. The porsche tells me to hit that apex, nail the shift, maintain composure, sir, the chevy is telling me, **** the apex, light em up around it, yeehaaww!
Old 03-19-2021, 03:23 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Porsche:Camaro :: scalpel:chain saw.

The world needs both, no question about it. But while I'm nobody's idea of a surgeon, I'd make an even worse lumberjack.

Last edited by Noah Fect; 03-19-2021 at 03:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
meteor10 (03-21-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 07:00 PM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub

I had an opportunity recently to trade in my zl1 and use some cash to buy a 911, and after driving both a 997.2 and a 991.2, it was pretty clear that it would not be a good swap. The zl1 stays in the garage, and I just added a 981s for top down fun.
Sounds like the best of both worlds to me.

Quick Reply: Replacement for my 2013 Boxster S